Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » How long should I wait on an artist?

Ok I was in contact with an artist for a commission I wanted. I was providing a reference that I wasn't sure was ok to post publicly while also inquiring about their prices since they didn't have a price list. Then I asked for an example between their two shading options so I could decide which one I wanted and got radio silence. I asked for these examples on the 12th, then sent a friendly nudge after not hearing from them on the 15th. Then knowing that the holidays are coming up, I decided against reaching out again, but I am thinking of soon sending a message, maybe in the morning.

How long should I wait after sending this message for them to respond before I consider looking for another artist? I don't want to be seen as too impatient, but I don't know what the etiquette is for how long is a proper time to wait. Social skills have always been something I am deficient in which is why I wish to ask other artists for advice so I can treat this one with proper courtesy.

Thank you for any advice!
Claine Moderator

Nah if they're so unresponsive that they haven't replied after two nudges, I think you should be good to move on. You haven't paid them anything, and they haven't agreed to do any work for you. If they do come back to you in the future and ask if you want to proceed you'd be absolutely in your right to say "Sorry! After not hearing from you in a couple of weeks I decided to contact another artist about this commission."
Sanne Moderator

There's nothing wrong with sending a (final) message asking for any kind of response within a few days, and informing them that if you don't hear from them no hard feelings, but you will be cancelling and looking for another artist.

I think if you emphasize that it's nothing personal, you're understanding of personal circumstances delaying responses, but you have your own timeline to keep in mind, it simply sets the proper expectations and the artist has the opportunity to meet them, or tell you they're unable to and everyone can be on their way.

My only emphasis would be on not assuming anything about the circumstances that led to the radio silence. There are so many things that could be at play that assumptions could negatively impact the situation.
Katia Topic Starter

Thank you everyone for the advice! Also I'm not blaming the artist or thinking they just blew me off for giggles. I figure stuff came up and that is life. Going to shoot them a message and hope I hear from them.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » How long should I wait on an artist?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus