Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » The Space Gas Station Presents: a Holiday Giveaway

SPACE GAS STATION (played anonymously)

(I wanted exclamation marks in the title but they wouldn't fit.)
Time is sort of... relative, out here in space. But hey, it's holiday time somewhere, and The Wizard feels like celebrating! Their beloved Space Gas Station is hung with strings of lights, twinkling red, green and gold like little stars out in the vastness of space. Snow blankets the roof of the building and the concrete slab below; a nearby sign claims it was imported all the way from Earth and that no penguins were harmed in the process. Oh, and a wreath of holly and poinsettias decorates the door, along with a string of little gold and silver bells that jingle as it opens and closes.
Now, if you were to step inside, the Space Gas Station would look almost exactly as it always does, except... a big pine tree is in the middle of the main area. It actually appears to be growing up from the ground, somehow... But, hey... it isn't decorated! Oh look, a conveniently placed sign saying that the first ten people to contribute a decoration can have a present!
Hello, hi, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I wanted to set up some kind of holiday raffle, so... yeah!
All you need to do to enter is write a little scene of your character adding a decoration to the tree, and roll a ten-sided dice.
I have a pile of prizes, each numbered, so whatever number you roll, that will be the prize you get. (If you roll a number someone already rolled, please just roll again until you get a new number. Oh, and one prize per person, of course, so to make things fair, please only post as publicly played characters.
As for your post itself, it can be as long or short as you want, and the decorations can be... pretty much anything, holiday-themed or not. Just please avoid anything that might be considered gross or disturbing.
I won't give away what, exactly, any of the prizes are, but they include Lemonade Stand items, flowers, and more :D I'll add who has gotten each number, so people can quickly check if they got a repeat.
1: Honey 'Bunny' Coella (played by Dndmama)
2: The Operator (played by AgentMilkshake)  
3: Catherine Michelle Higgins (played by LisaBlankenship)
4: Alan Wake (played by Atheist)
5: ???
6: ???
7: ???
8: ???
9: ???
10: ???

PS: I have no idea if this idea will work out or if it will end in chaos but um... happy holidays? O.o
Edit because I forgot to say: the presents will be sent out on the 24th, ish, depending on timezones :)
Xander Vornn (played by Tyranoth)

I shall ensure nothing ends in chaos
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 8.
SPACE GAS STATION (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Xander Vornn wrote:
I shall ensure nothing ends in chaos
You'll have to put something on the tree for your entry to count; it doesn't have to be much if you don't want it to be, just a brief scene of your character adding a decoration to the tree. (Or not-so-brief, if you prefer- whatever works :D)
Alan Wake (played by Atheist)

A space gas station never really struck Alan as out of the ordinary -- hell, he'd seen his fair share of all sorts of unexplained wonders throughout his time. This just happened to be another strange development to take back to the director, but with the added flair that no, it wasn't Alan's fault this time.

He stopped to observe the sign enlightening travelers on how the snow came to be but furrowed his brow when it offered no knowledge on how it was kept from melting. There was something akin to temperature moderation going on here; otherwise, the lot of incoming tourists like him wouldn't thrive well against the chilling depths of an unforgiving, endless expanse. Either way, thinking too much on the subject hurt his brain and gave way to invasive thoughts like, why not just test your limits and find out? Jump, Alan, jump!

Considering what he was capable of with a mere thought, and then pen to paper, and the accursed lake that caused it all, he steered away from such thinking as quickly as he could muster, pushing both mentally and physically at the poinsettia-covered door to the little convenience store. The tinkling bells signified his entry and briefly, the author stood there, shaking off as though having trekked through a veritable snowstorm. That was when he noticed it, the thick chestnut brown trunk and lush, verdant needles prickling every which way.

"What kind of a..." he stopped himself and noted yet another sign. He read the content aloud. "First ten people, huh? Looks like I'm number one. But I don't have anything to --"

Alan Wake began rummaging through his pockets, hands sifting through all matters of keys, a folded, yellowy sheet of paper, a paperclip, a few coins, a wadded-up tissue, and finally, some bits of lint. "Ugh, how cliche."

He made another go at it, his efforts shifting now to his coat. The inner pockets yielded only his tools of the trade -- a small black notebook and a silver pen. The outer pockets held nothing but their silk linings. Disappointed by this point, Alan pondered over what he could possibly add to this tree that would be a worthwhile contribution. It was then the idea struck him.

The scribe procured his notebook and pen and began the process of scrawling rigorously across an empty page. This only took but a few moments before he seemed pleased enough to rip the page from his journal and pierce it through the top with the point of his pen. Carefully he maneuvered the paper along a set of prominent looking needles about the middle of the tree until it was properly situated as a makeshift ornament.

"Best I can do, I suppose," he uttered with a light-hearted shrug.

He began to peruse the wares of the store and eventually took his leave hoping his message found just the right person who needed it...

It read as such:

"... It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine the clearer."
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 4.

Note: Thank you ever so much for this interesting prompt and the fun raffle! It got the little grey cells goin'!

This is still open, if anyone wants to enter :D
The Operator groaned as the check engine light began blinking on the dashboard of her hover van. Fortunately, she noticed a space gas station sign in the space lanes and the exit was only a few clicks ahead. "Yoo-nit, run a diagnostic to see what's going on with the van," The Operator ordered.

"Ship," The little toaster droid corrected before making a series of whirrs and beeps. "The petrol cap is loose," it announced after a ding and the red light on its head began blinking. A slip of paper printed stating what it had already said aloud.

"Lovely," The Operator replied. "At least that's easy. Might as well grab a snack and top off the fuel tanks."

A few minutes later, The Operator ran inside to pay for her fuel, grab a space candy bar, use the loo and get away from her annoying droid for a few moments. It was then she spied the tree and sign.

"First ten people, eh," She commented reading the sign. So far, it appeared there had only been a few contributions. "Not sure what I have in me little repair van to decorate with, but I'm sure I can rig something up! Back in a jiff!"

The Operator returned with some electrical components a short time later. She'd made a crude blinking ornament from some LEDs, capacitors, resistors and a small button battery from the parts in the van she used to work on the space payphones and switching equipment she was sent out to repair during the linemen's union strike.

"There, not much, but it'll do," She declared, hanging the makeshift ornament on the store's tree after activating it.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 2.

Note: Roll

Bunny's tree is tiny, no more than a foot tall, and fake, but it's all she has room for in her claustrophobic little room here in the arctic circle. It sits upon the center of her desk, throwing tiny colored lights wacross her sparsely decorated walls. Warm lights that carry with them a wealth of memories. Some pleasant. Some...less so.

Honestly, she's not sure why she's bothering with this holiday ritual or indeed why she had packed the little tree at all when her storage on the research base is at such a premium. Yet here she sits, hanging a tiny snowman ornament on the side of her tiny Christmas tree. Beside it a very fat and jolly porcelain Santa Claus is hung.

Bunny smiles, a small, sad smile for the little figure before topping it all with an old, wrinkled but well loved angel.

"Merry Christmas to me," she whispers softly before turning off the over head lights and letting the twinkling of the tree lull her to sleep.

(( I misread the prompt so here's a more appropriate little story. I don't even have to switch characters cause Bunny has a sci fi version!))

Trekking one's way across the galaxy isn't easy! The light years are long and the routes needed to avoid all sorts of horrible deaths are circuitous. Thankfully along the most traveled way points there are these stations where people can defrost from cryo and stretch their legs a bit. While admittedly the icy slime girl's doesn't technically have legs (and when she does they do nothing BUT stretch) it's still good to have a change of scenery from the mundanity of one's own space ship interior. This looks like just the place too!

As Bunny, as she's known among humans partially due to the dubious nature of saying her rather long and complicated name and partially due to the bunny ears that came with her second hand containment suit, touches the door to the station a few spiraling fractals of ice adorn the nearby window. Then she's pushing it open and striding in...and nearly colliding with...a tree of some kind?

The zoologist tilts her head in confusion. Animals of all kinds, no matter how strange or alien they may seem, are the woman's bread and butter. This...is completely outside her wheel house. There's a little sign though. Contribute a decoration...? Hmm... With a small smile the ice slime requests a bottle of water from the person behind the counter. Pulling one of her small, portable temperature equalizers from her pack, the woman attaches it to the base of the tree. With a few taps on her wrist computer she sets the temp to just below freezing. Then she quickly chugs the bottle of water through the containment suit and into her liquid like body within! It takes a few moments for it to circulate through her system, but then she is opening up her mouth once more as a beautiful, crystal clear shower of snow, not unlike what had been imported to the station on the outside, is fluttering down all over the tree's green needles, adding a much needed sparkle that will stay fresh thanks to her little device.

"There. I'm not sure what a 'Christmas' is, but this seems to fit the theme!" With that she is turning and heading towards the exit. Wait, doesn't she need to pay for that water?!
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 1.

Honey 'Bunny' Coella wrote:
Bunny's tree is tiny, no more than a foot tall, and fake, but it's all she has room for in her claustrophobic little room here in the arctic circle. It sits upon the center of her desk, throwing tiny colored lights wacross her sparsely decorated walls. Warm lights that carry with them a wealth of memories. Some pleasant. Some...less so.

Honestly, she's not sure why she's bothering with this holiday ritual or indeed why she had packed the little tree at all when her storage on the research base is at such a premium. Yet here she sits, hanging a tiny snowman ornament on the side of her tiny Christmas tree. Beside it a very fat and jolly porcelain Santa Claus is hung.

Bunny smiles, a small, sad smile for the little figure before topping it all with an old, wrinkled but well loved angel.

"Merry Christmas to me," she whispers softly before turning off the over head lights and letting the twinkling of the tree lull her to sleep.
Not exactly what I meant- it was supposed to be the tree in the original post- but I can count this anyway, since barely anyone has entered...
(( Ah, I'm sorry. My kids were bugging me while I was trying to read it and I must have misread. I'm happy to edit it to fit your theme. ))
With her fuel gauge indicating that her tank was almost empty and still light-years to go to get to the Christmas party, Cathy pulled her vehicle into the Space Gas Station. Her vehicle looked almost exactly like an old Pontiac Firebird, except that this was a Space Firebird, inexplicably capable of interstellar flight. She pulled up next to an available pump and spent the next few minutes filling her tank with space gas. When she went inside to pay, she noticed a wonderful pine tree growing inside, with a sign encouraging people to decorate it.

"Hmm, I suppose I could spare one of these ornaments I was going to give out at the party; I have a couple of extras," she thought. Reaching into her space purse, she pulled out a hand-crafted ornament. It was in the form of a hollow plastic hemisphere, painted shiny silver on the outside with little sprigs of holly painted around the opening in shades of green and red. The inside of the hemisphere was lined with cotton balls, and glued in the middle was a figure of a reindeer with a shiny red nose. "Well, Rudolph, it looks like you've found a new home," she said as she hung the ornament on the tree.
Catherine Michelle Higgins wrote:
With her fuel gauge indicating that her tank was almost empty and still light-years to go to get to the Christmas party, Cathy pulled her vehicle into the Space Gas Station. Her vehicle looked almost exactly like an old Pontiac Firebird, except that this was a Space Firebird, inexplicably capable of interstellar flight. She pulled up next to an available pump and spent the next few minutes filling her tank with space gas. When she went inside to pay, she noticed a wonderful pine tree growing inside, with a sign encouraging people to decorate it.

"Hmm, I suppose I could spare one of these ornaments I was going to give out at the party; I have a couple of extras," she thought. Reaching into her space purse, she pulled out a hand-crafted ornament. It was in the form of a hollow plastic hemisphere, painted shiny silver on the outside with little sprigs of holly painted around the opening in shades of green and red. The inside of the hemisphere was lined with cotton balls, and glued in the middle was a figure of a reindeer with a shiny red nose. "Well, Rudolph, it looks like you've found a new home," she said as she hung the ornament on the tree.

Oops, forgot to roll the dice...
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 3.

Honey 'Bunny' Coella wrote:
(( Ah, I'm sorry. My kids were bugging me while I was trying to read it and I must have misread. I'm happy to edit it to fit your theme. ))
Oh, it's okay!! No worries :D
I'll update the original post with the current winners in a sec too. And for anyone else, it is still open! :D

I'll admit, I forgot to send out the gifts yesterday and didn't think about it until I was already in the process of trying to sleep... about to do it now though :D

Aaaaand sent :)
Now it's like 6am for me so I'm going to try to go back to sleep. Happy holidays to everyone! :D
No worries! Just in time for Christmas morning! Merry space Christmas, loves! Next time I'm out this way in the galaxy and need petrol, I'll pop in again. Thanks for everything and happy intergalactic holidays! Remember, if you need help placing a call, dial 0! I may just be the one that connects your call.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » The Space Gas Station Presents: a Holiday Giveaway

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus