Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » What Makes a Family {Private}

Tiff_the_Odd Topic Starter

“Woah, that sounds like a pretty butterfly.” Piper told him with a smile, watching the little creature crawl around on her hand. She thought it was really cool that Julian knew the names of so many bugs. She gently used one finger to stroke the back of the caterpillar. The caterpillar didn’t seem to mind, crawling around at the same speed that it had before.

“Yeah! That way it can eat the leaf and grow up quickly.” Piper stood up slowly, going over to a tree but found that she wasn’t tall enough to reach any of the branches.
Julian brushed off the knees of his pants before going to Piper. "Here, let me help," he told her. He reached up and pulled the closest branch down as far as he could, getting it just within Piper's reach. "There we go! Now the caterpillar should be very happy indeed," he told her with a smile.

Piper gently placed the caterpillar on a branch, giving it one last pat.” Bye bye, I hope you grow up to be a strong butterfly.” She whispered to it then stepped away so Julian could let the branch go. She then saw little ants crawling up the trunk of the same tree.

She walked up to it and she couldn’t believe how many little red ants were climbing up and down it.” Do you think the queen lives in the tree?” She asked, putting her hand on the trunk and letting the little bugs crawl over her.
Jules glanced at her and froze. In New York, there was only one breed of red ants. The European fire ant. "Piper, those are not good ants to play with," he said gently. "Please shake off your hand and come away. Those are fire ants, and their bite hurt very, very badly." He made sure there were no more ants on her and guided her away from the tree. "The queen likely lives in the ground below the tree or nearby," he told her. "Ants can travel a long way to find food."

Piper was gentle in shaking the ants off her hand though a pout remained on her own face.” If I don’t hurt them then they won’t bite me, right?” She allowed herself to be led away from the tree though and her eyes fell on the playground. There were plenty of adults with their children on the play equipment, even one dad going down the slide with a toddler in her lap.” I wanna try the slide.” She said with big eyes.
"They don't know that you won't hurt them, so they will hurt you first while thinking they are defending their colony," Jules explained gently.

When she asked to play on the slide, he instantly started walking in that direction. "Of course! There is a bench right over there. I am going to sit on the bench where you can see me, and I can see you, and you can go down the slide as many times as you like, okay? There's also a bridge, it looks like, and a couple of other fun things. Why don't you go explore?"

Piper felt selfish for it but she felt a little disappointed that Julian wasn’t going to come with her onto the playground equipment. She merely nodded slowly to let Julian know he heard her then slowly walked over to the equipment. There was a ladder to get up to the biggest slide but when Piper approached it, other kids started climbing and she couldn’t bring herself to talk to the other kids so she moved away from the ladder.

She went up the long way, going up the platform and stopping at the bridge that led to the slide but once again found herself being unable to take a turn on the bridge so she just stood up on the platform by herself. Every other kid was either playing with other kids or adults, she shrank her shoulders in a bit and instead climbed down the platform. She walked over to the swings, sitting down and watching. Maybe the equipment would be less busy in a few minutes.
Julian sat watching Piper for a bit, hoping she would find a bit of joy running around on her own, but for some reason he couldn't see, she wasn't going on the slide or the bridge. Was it because it was too busy? Other kids ran here and there, climbing up the various platforms and sliding down the slides. They paid her no attention, all focused on what they were doing. They had no clue they were blocking her path. They just wanted to run and play. He gave a quiet sigh when she gave up and went to the swing.

When Piper sat down, he walked over and stood behind her. "Hold onto the swing," he said, tapping the wrapped chains of the swing. "Lean back just a little, not too far, and lift your feet." He pushed the swing gently, just enough to get her going at a low height.

Piper was happy and visibly relaxed as Julian approached her to push her on the swings. She leaned back a little and lifted her legs, giggling as the swing went back and forth. She liked the feelings of flying that the swing gave. Her wind blowing through the wind.” Go higher!” Piper urged, her energy and joy back.
"Alright, hold tight," Jules urged. "Try swinging your body with the swing." He pushed harder, keeping a close eye on her as she soared higher in the air. The swing reached its highest point, and he stood back to let her swing on her own until she needed another push. "Well done, Piper! Swing your legs!"

Piper did her best to follow Julian’s instructions and after a few moments of awkward swinging, she was moving her body and legs in sync with the swinging motion. She was laughing and giggling, her face completely lit up.

She could see a few slightly older boys swinging high a few seats down before one of them launched themselves out of the swing and landing on his feet. The swing shot him so high in the sky! It looked like flying!

Piper’s face was set in determination and waited until the swing was at its highest peak. Without any warning, Piper launched herself from the swing. She took on some pretty decent air before falling and unlike the boys, landed flat on her back. The fall dazed her a bit but she was smiling and laughing.” Again!” She cheered and stood up.
Jules didn't realize what Piper was doing until she left the swing. He let out a strangled yelp and stepped forward instinctively, which meant he stepped right into the path of the swing as it came back down. It stung when it struck his legs and arms, but he batted it aside quickly and stared at Piper as she lay on her back. The only thing that went to through his mind was, I've killed Piper!!!

Then she was up, cheering about going again. White-faced and shaking, Julian tried to force a smile. "You really startled me there," he said weakly, his voice trembling despite his best efforts. "Where did you learn that?"

Despite the smile, Piper could tell that Julian probably wasn’t thrilled with her jumping from the swing. Her smile shifted into a frown.” The boys over there were doing it.” She pointed to the boys who were still jumping of the swings with gleeful abandon.” I thought it was normal.” She added softly.

She then glanced over at the playground again.” I thought everyone would take turns b-but they aren’t a-and everyone was with someone…” She wrung her hands nervously, missing Bruce deeply.” I’m bad at playgrounds.” She muttered miserably.
"I think it's pretty normal, but you scared me a bit," Jules admitted, not wanting to make her feel bad or spoil her good mood, but also wanting to be honest. "It looks like fun, but it also looks like you could hurt yourself at that height. How about we go again, but you jump off at a lower height so you can practice landing on your feet without hurting yourself?" He smiled and held the swing for her to climb on again. "I wasn't good at playgrounds at your age, either. It takes practice, but at least you can swing."

Piper hadn’t meant to scare Julian. She wasn’t use to anyone being concerned for her safety.” Oh, I’m sorry.” She mumbled though she smiled as Julian told her that she could keep jumping. She ran to the swing and sat on it.” I can swing!” She nodded sounding very pleased with herself.

She spent about ten minutes swinging and jumping from the swing. She never once landed on her feet but she giggled every time. She eventually was staring longingly at the slide again but the idea of going up on the play equipment by herself was a bit intimidating.

She remembered what Julian had told her about asking for what she wanted but her heart pounded painfully as she thought about asking Julian to come to the playground with her. Piper walked to her brother.” I-…I…can…” she stuttered, once again wishing Bruce was with her as she nervously opened and closed her hands.” Can you come with me? To the slide? It’s just…” She trailed off.” Everyone else has somebody.” She finished, her hands still moving anxiously.
Julian willingly pushed Piper on the swings, though he kept the height much lower than before. His heart still hopped up into his throat each time she jumped, but he kept assuring himself that she wouldn't get too badly hurt. Besides, even if she did, kids needed space to make those kinds of mistakes and learn. Piper was scared of enough things already. He didn't need to add to the list even if he, himself, had a nice, tidy list of fears. He called encouragement each time she got close to landing on her feet, trying to be supportive despite his worries and his slowly aching arms.

When Piper made her request, he glanced at the somewhat crowded play equipment and then down at Piper. He hated crowds. It didn't matter if they were adults or children, he hated crowds. Even here by the swings where the people were spread out, it was hard to tolerate. Yet, how could he say no after she'd made such a request? He took a deep breath and dredged up his "work persona" he'd developed for the few times he was asked to be a part of the zoo's presentations or other hands-on events. He could do this.

"Alright, we can go to the slide," he agreed. "I'm not sure I want to try to fit down the slide, but I'll go with you." He offered her his hand. "I remember slides being a lot of fun when I was small enough to fit down them." He walked toward the slide, trying to find the most grown-up friendly way to get up, and ended up following a father and his son as they moved in the same direction.

Piper grinned happily when Julian agreed to come on the slide with her. She nodded eagerly to his preference to not go down the slide.” That’s okay! I just wanted you to come with me.” She took his hand and followed him to the slide. They went over to the steps that led onto the equipment, going the same way that Piper had gone.

When they got to the bridge, Piper stopped again. She had gotten stuck by the bridge last time. It was hard for her assert herself to get a turn so kids just ran by them and each time she tried to take a step, another kid would rush past.” I can’t get through…” she muttered, backing up until her back was against Julian’s.
"We just need to move quickly," Julian assured her gently.  "First, we look back and see there's a small space.  See that boy with the red shirt?  There's space behind him, so as soon as he passes, step right behind him as if you are playing follow the leader.  I'll be right behind you.  Ready... Now go!  Go forward and don't look back!"  He gave her a tiny little nudge, urging her forward but not forcing her.  As he urged her forward, he looked back and made eye contact with the mother walking with her toddler.  He smiled and held up a hand to tell her to wait, moving one step sideways.  The mother understood and slowed her toddler to allow them time to go ahead.

When Julian told her to go, Piper took a few steps on the bridge and gasped as the rope bridge shook a little but then giggled as she jumped all the way across.” Come on Jules! It’s so shaky, it’s fun!” She yelled from across the bridge. The mom with the toddler chuckled.” What a cutie and so polite.” She commented to Julian, still waiting back so that Julian could go after Piper.
Julian wasn't sure what to say to that, and his social anxiety was tickling at the back of his brain, threatening to kick in, so he stuck to smiling and nodding with a murmured and generic, "Thank you." He hurried across after Piper, wobbling only a little on the uneven surface, and pointed her in the direction of the slide. "Alright! Here we are! The thing you were looking forward to most!"

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » What Makes a Family {Private}

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus