Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello :D

Hey, I'm new to this place, so I thought I should introduce myself B)
I like role-playing, especially about fantasy. Or just plain battle is fine.
I hope we all can get along, guys :D
PS: I've made my first character. Sooo...looking forward to role play with you all. B)
Hello and welcome! You should have no trouble getting along with folks everyone here is quite friendly, and many of them are downright awesome. :)

Fantasy's always fun, and that's my go-to as well. Out of curiosity, what's your preference on how to play out battles?
Triste Topic Starter

Um, I don't really have preference?
I'm still kind of new to role play, so I still don't know much, since I usually just play it out with my friends (;^^) Maybe you can explain me about this 'how to play out battles', so I can understand better? Like, how many ways to play out battle in role play, actually? :s
(Sorry if my grammar is confusing, btw. It's kinda hard when its not your mother language ><)
No worries. We've got a mix of experienced RPers and newbies, as well as a mic of native and non-native English-speakers. So far, I'm understanding you just fine. :)

With battling (particularly player vs player), people use different systems: primarily, it's an option of using dice or not.

Using dice adds a bit of luck and uncertainty, but there's a number of systems ranging from the very simple to rather complex. From what I've seen so far, most folks stick to the simpler ones on here, though I think some do go full-out D&D with multiple types of dice and modifiers and whatnot.

If you opt to not use dice, there's basically two options. One, you talk with your partner about who lands what blows, and who ultimately wins. The other, the one that I've seen most often (mostly on various other sites) is to basically try to out-write your opponent and pretty much get them cornered, to where they really have no choice but to take the blow. In that latter form, it's generally polite to to allow at least some hits against your character even when you can think of reasonable ways to avoid it, especially if avoiding it would really be difficult.

If you're just fighting off NPC opponents, though, there's a lot less to worry about with sportmanship and such. ^_^
Welcome to RPR Triste! :) I hope you're really enjoying it here. We're all super friendly so if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! :D
Triste Topic Starter

@Novalyyn
Oh, I see! Using dice looks like fun :) I've never used one before when RP-ing with my friends, but I suppose it makes things more interesting. I think I prefer using dice in battle, it's more fair and interesting and unpredictable :D Though I have nothing against not using dice either, since it's practically how I always do my RP before.

@Loki
Thanks! I'll be sure to ask around if I ever get confused! :D So far, I do enjoy being here. :)
Kim Site Admin

Welcome to the site Triste! :D

If you're curious about incorporating dice into RP and RP battles, we have some articles here:

Introduction to using dice for freeform RPers
Preparing characters for dice use

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello :D

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus