Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Towel Day RP- Zaphod Beeblebrox party (Closed)

Shelley wrote:
"Okay, THAT one I recognize," Shelley said.

“I should hope so,” Matt replied. “If you didn’t, you’d have to give up your geek card.”

“I’m pretty sure I don’t HAVE a geek card,” Shelley retorted.

“Maybe not yet, but keep working on it; I’m sure you’ll get one someday.”

At about the same time that Shelley made her comment about recognizing the quote, Matt heard a familiar voice nearby say “Right on cue.” He turned to look in the direction the voice had come from and saw Tabby talking to a Kenku, of all things. “Come on, Shelley, let’s go meet Tabby’s new friend,” he said.

Matt and Shelley headed toward Tabby and Jet-Roar and arrived just as Hanley was showing up to inquire about Jelly Bellies.
Hanley wrote:
"Bon soir, fellow spacefarers! Sailors of the Stars, if you will.. you have jelly bellies?" Hanley gave a winning smile.
Tabby wrote:
Tabby turned to the newcomer. "You mean jelly babies? That was The Doctor. Afraid you're a bit late there, he just left," Tabby responded to Hanley. "But, uh, there's lots of other stuff to eat. The problem is, I don't know what most of it is."

“The Doctor should be back later to pick us up, and would probably be willing to give you some Jelly Babies,” Matt said to Hanley, “But by then the party will be over, and you’ll probably already be stuffed with other snacks.” Then, to both Jet-Roar and Hanley, he said, “I’m Matt, by the way, and this is our friend Shelley.” At first he didn’t mention Tabby because she and the Kenku had already been talking, so he assumed they’d already introduced themselves, but then he realized that the newcomer asking about Jelly Bellies may not have met her. “Oh, and this is Tabby. Sorry we’re a little late joining the party, but Shelley here was having some Babel fish problems.”

Shelley gave Matt a dirty look, still mad at him for putting a fish in her ear despite the fact that now she could understand what toaster-robots and other attendees were saying. She was also a little embarrassed by the whole incident, and before Matt could tell them about her falling on her rear, she tried to change the subject. “So, guess what Matt here was doing while we were in that phone booth? He was watching movies that haven’t even come out yet!”

Indicating Shelley’s sparkly blue ball gown, Matt said, “And why shouldn’t I? It’s not like you weren’t having fun trying on all those fancy dresses while you were in the TARDIS.” He emphasized the last word to demonstrate that, unlike Shelley, he knew the proper term for the Doctor’s vehicle. How embarrassing for her, calling it a “phone booth”; she could have at least referred to it as a "police box".

Shelley scoffed. “Well, you were the one that wanted to drag us to this formal cocktail party for that beetle box guy. I had to dress properly for the occasion!”
Tabitha Blackwell (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

"You guys were watching movies and trying on clothes," Tabby asked blinking. She looked down and was still in her jeans and t-shirt. "Who is that chick Gary is obsessing over? She pointed at Gary watching the MC lady on the stage who didn't look happy to be there.

Tabby turned back back to the other new comer who had asked about jelly beans. "So uh, are you from Earth," she asked Hanley noting she was a fellow redhead but quite a bit older. Tabby was trying to figure out what her occupation might be based on how she was dressed.

Tabby then noticed another alien who looked almost human, but had a third eye on his forehead.

"A pleasant faced man steps up to greet you. He smiles and says he's pleased to meet you. Beneath his hat, the strangeness lies. Take it off, he's got three eyes," Tabby recited. She also took note of the electric monk sitting on its horse in the corner taking everything in.

OOC: Happy Towel Day in the US!
Gary Portelli (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Gary's eyes were transfixed on the woman on stage in the blinking dress. It was not how he pictured her but surely she must be.

After she made her announcement, she looked a bit flustered. She put her fingers to her ear as if she had an unseen earpiece in. She shook her head in annoyance.

She whispered something into an unseen mic. Clearly irritated, the woman then made her way to the stairs and off the stage.

"Excuse me," Gary asked as she brushed past him. "Are you..."
Jet-Roar (played anonymously)

As his new best friends went around, making introductions, Jet pointed at his own chest and then he opened his beak.
Experts would recognise the sound he made as a VX9-Engine thruster, as it's very old fashioned propulsion engine started spitting fire and lifting a middle sized spaceship into the air. Friendly as he was, Jet had turned down the original volume of the sound, so people around him wouldn't have to spend the next two to five years with ringing ears, although he was certainly loud enough so people even three tables removed could hear every last bit of the sound.
"It has a nice ring to it, laddie, but no one that isn't a Kenku will be able to say it. Let's just call you the-engine-of-a-jet-aroaring, no... Jet Roar, and be done with it, alright?"
He helpfully added in the voice of his old, rugged captain.
Now that introductions were over, he repeated the word "Tardis" once in Matt's voice, saving it in his little bird brain, before pointing at the Operator.
He helpfully added "This has been a recording", in her own voice, as if everyone would recognise her by her catch phrase.
Hanley (played anonymously)

Tabitha Blackwell wrote:
"You guys were watching movies and trying on clothes," Tabby asked blinking. She looked down and was still in her jeans and t-shirt. "Who is that chick Gary is obsessing over? She pointed at Gary watching the MC lady on the stage who didn't look happy to be there.

Tabby turned back back to the other new comer who had asked about jelly beans. "So uh, are you from Earth," she asked Hanley noting she was a fellow redhead but quite a bit older. Tabby was trying to figure out what her occupation might be based on how she was dressed.

Tabby then noticed another alien who looked almost human, but had a third eye on his forehead.

"A pleasant faced man steps up to greet you. He smiles and says he's pleased to meet you. Beneath his hat, the strangeness lies. Take it off, he's got three eyes," Tabby recited. She also took note of the electric monk sitting on its horse in the corner taking everything in.

OOC: Happy Towel Day in the US!

"Oh, um, I don't know her... But I haven't updated my radio soft system in a while, so it's possible that she's a regular in the air now or she's popular, too, I'm just on different frequencies. I'll check her out though." Hanley grinned. "I'm Hanley, yeah, I'm from Earth. Born in the Horsehead Nebula somewhere, raised Terran, you know... That old story." She laughed and waved a hand. "Nice to meet ya, what's your shtick? I've got a gig as a higher up on a ship right now... She's a beaut, I love her," she added a little vaguely.

Suddenly she felt the urge to use her towel.

And where was this Beeblebrox guy? The convention had gone on for a bit and he hadn't showed. Or were they announcing him later as a surprise? She mused privately, looking around. She surreptitiously used her towel to clean behind one ear, the rub a nervous tic she occasionally exhibited when thinking. She adjusted the towel, then, and patted her pocket for a guidebook she had found upon her arrival at the ship's docks.

"I hear there's a really good ice cream place near here. They have banana boats, grablesops, and a pan galactic milkshake. They even do that one weird ice cream with the uh... Spiders," she said awkwardly. "Say, do any of you read the Guide? Hitchhiker's Guide, I mean? I have to remember it sometimes, my HUD and wristband keep me updated on most. But it's a good idea to remember for not panicking."

((Edit: half belated Happy Towel Day!))

"Oh, um, I don't know her... But I haven't updated my radio soft system in a while, so it's possible that she's a regular in the air now or she's popular, too, I'm just on different frequencies. I'll check her out though." Hanley grinned. "I'm Hanley, yeah, I'm from Earth. Born in the Horsehead Nebula somewhere, raised Terran, you know... That old story." She laughed and waved a hand. "Nice to meet ya, what's your shtick? I've got a gig as a higher up on a ship right now... She's a beaut, I love her," she added a little vaguely.

"And um, I'm Tabby, also of Earth," The teen replied. "Uh, the Teal Cove system of the Texas sector in the United States region. My schtick? Um, I'm a high school student and cheerleader but I also play lead guitar in my rock band, Threat of Invasion. Only half of us are here, though." Suddenly she felt the urge to use her towel.

And where was this Beeblebrox guy? The convention had gone on for a bit and he hadn't showed. Or were they announcing him later as a surprise? She mused privately, looking around. She surreptitiously used her towel to clean behind one ear, the rub a nervous tic she occasionally exhibited when thinking. She adjusted the towel, then, and patted her pocket for a guidebook she had found upon her arrival at the ship's docks.

"I hear there's a really good ice cream place near here. They have banana boats, grablesops, and a pan galactic milkshake. They even do that one weird ice cream with the uh... Spiders," she said awkwardly. "Say, do any of you read the Guide? Hitchhiker's Guide, I mean? I have to remember it sometimes, my HUD and wristband keep me updated on most. But it's a good idea to remember for not panicking."

"I love ice cream! We have a Baskin Robbins near where I live. They have 31 flavors," Tabby explained. "We don't have a spider flavor, but I'm completely okay with that. I hate spiders!"

"Say, do any of you read the Guide? Hitchhiker's Guide, I mean? I have to remember it sometimes, my HUD and wristband keep me updated on most. But it's a good idea to remember for not panicking."

Tabby held up a book with the words "Don't Panic" inscribed on it in large friendly letters. "Yup," Tabby affirmed. "But I have Matt. He's like the Guide, but makes less sense."

He helpfully added "This has been a recording", in her own voice, as if everyone would recognise her by her catch phrase.

Gary's ears perked up. He hurried back over to the bird person.

"Where did you hear that," he asked. "Did she say it?"

He pointed to the woman as she prepared to exit the stage. Gary didn't want to miss her so he looked back and forth between the bird person and The Operator. "Did you meet her? Do you know her," Gary asked anxiously.
U.N.I.T. 35235236466-0001A (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Meanwhile, the small toaster-like droid rolled through the crowd. "Ex-cuse-me" it would say occasionally in a deep, bored, monotone voice. The little droid would stop periodically and its eye stock would rotate as it scanned the room in search of something or someone.

After a moment it continued on, pausing occasionally. It finally stopped in front of a group made up of mostly humans and a kenku.

"Excuse me," it said. "Have you seen Operator 2248-43-42?"

Jet stared at Tabi, almost as if she admitted to enjoying the works of Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, or another major crime. Luckily, no one had voted for Jet as president of space, so not knowing the Operator wasn't punishable by law yet, and Gary distracted Jet long enough so his bird brain, that had only a very vague idea of abstract things like object permanence, once again just forgot about her transgression.
He nodded as Gary asked him if she said it. His nod got prouder and prouder with each question it answered.
The overgrown crow patted himself on his chest with his index finger, before repeating in the Operator's voice: "Love", as if this address from the Operator meant anything but that she was very British.
Then he quickly gave Gary some quick insight on how the most fun insults in the universe would sound like, as read by the Operator - by demonstrating some of the insults in her voice.

Tabitha Blackwell wrote:

"And um, I'm Tabby, also of Earth," The teen replied. "Uh, the Teal Cove system of the Texas sector in the United States region. My schtick? Um, I'm a high school student and cheerleader but I also play lead guitar in my rock band, Threat of Invasion. Only half of us are here, though." Suddenly she felt the urge to use her towel.

"I love ice cream! We have a Baskin Robbins near where I live. They have 31 flavors," Tabby explained. "We don't have a spider flavor, but I'm completely okay with that. I hate spiders!"

"Say, do any of you read the Guide? Hitchhiker's Guide, I mean? I have to remember it sometimes, my HUD and wristband keep me updated on most. But it's a good idea to remember for not panicking."

Tabby held up a book with the words "Don't Panic" inscribed on it in large friendly letters. "Yup," Tabby affirmed. "But I have Matt. He's like the Guide, but makes less sense."

Hanley nodded and laughed appropriately. The band sounded interesting. She loved artistic pursuits, and teenagers were certainly a conduit for such a thing. The Wayward and Runaway Youth program she sometimes helped run contained a lot of artistic little mischief makers, and they gave her a headache. She would like children, but was often quite glad she didn't have any yet.
"Texas is a nice place," she said serenely, "and your band sounds cool.

"I'm not the biggest fan of spiders either. But, well, I'm not the smallest. Haha, they're pretty cool if you can stand to get close to them... Pleased to meet you!" She said to her new party acquaintances.
U.N.I.T. 35235236466-0001A wrote:
Meanwhile, the small toaster-like droid rolled through the crowd. "Ex-cuse-me" it would say occasionally in a deep, bored, monotone voice. The little droid would stop periodically and its eye stock would rotate as it scanned the room in search of something or someone.

After a moment it continued on, pausing occasionally. It finally stopped in front of a group made up of mostly humans and a kenku.

"Excuse me," it said. "Have you seen Operator 2248-43-42?"

"Err, I'm not too sure. Isn't she the host? I'm pretty sure the host said something about an operator.... But I was on my comms and I wasn't listening as well as I should have been..." She said sheepishly. "Family stuff, you know. Er. Do you?" Genuinely curious, Hanley made what she was pretty sure was eye contact with the robot. The captain wasn't the most observant during family struggles, which was unfortunate, but she had a complications history with training in emergencies.
There were a lot of noises, jets roaring and faint rattles and a wee-oo sort of noise, and of course the rustling of dozens of towels, susurrating throughout the room.

(OOC: I was going to say hundreds of towels and then was thinking how many people I should actually consider as being here. Were the handful of us the only ones who showed up? 😂 But then, it says crowds, which is what I was envisioning... So like... It really reminds me of the extras in anime, who have no faces or just little faces, and they're like blobs.... Blob-people 😂😂<3)

Hanley nodded and laughed appropriately. The band sounded interesting. She loved artistic pursuits, and teenagers were certainly a conduit for such a thing. The Wayward and Runaway Youth program she sometimes helped run contained a lot of artistic little mischief makers, and they gave her a headache. She would like children, but was often quite glad she didn't have any yet.

"I'm not the biggest fan of spiders either. But, well, I'm not the smallest. Haha, they're pretty cool if you can stand to get close to them... Pleased to meet you!" She said to her new party acquaintances.

"So, um, you've like been there," Tabby asked. She twisted a lock of her red hair nervously. After a moment she realized what she was doing. "Texas I mean. As for spiders, um, no thanks. We're good as long as we keep our distance from each other.
U.N.I.T. 35235236466-0001A (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

"Err, I'm not too sure. Isn't she the host? I'm pretty sure the host said something about an operator.... But I was on my comms and I wasn't listening as well as I should have been..." She said sheepishly. "Family stuff, you know. Er. Do you?" Genuinely curious, Hanley made what she was pretty sure was eye contact with the robot. The captain wasn't the most observant during family struggles, which was unfortunate, but she had a complications history with training in emergencies.
There were a lot of noises, jets roaring and faint rattles and a wee-oo sort of noise, and of course the rustling of dozens of towels, susurrating throughout the room.

"Affirmative," The little toaster-like robot replied and zoomed toward the stage when it spotted her.

"Mistress," it said in its monotone voice awkwardly pronouncing each syllable in a staccato fashion and tilted its eyes toward her. "I am out of buttons..."

The overgrown crow patted himself on his chest with his index finger, before repeating in the Operator's voice: "Love", as if this address from the Operator meant anything but that she was very British.
Then he quickly gave Gary some quick insight on how the most fun insults in the universe would sound like, as read by the Operator - by demonstrating some of the insults in her voice.

"It is her," Gary exclaimed excitedly. "Excuse me!"

He chased after the robot. It had just rolled up to her when Gary approached. "Excuse me! Are you? You know, Her? The intergalactic time and temperature lady," Gary inquired.
The Operator (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

As the Operator descended the stairs from the stage, she had one thing on her mind... getting back to her dressing room and away from the crowd of people. Perhaps she could have some space booze delivered to her room.

She had no sooner reached the floor than the familiar and annoying voice of that daft little toaster was heard.

"Mistress," it said in its monotone voice awkwardly pronouncing each syllable in a staccato fashion and tilted its eyes toward her.

"What," The Operator demanded. "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I am out of buttons..."

"Out of buttons? Does that look like something I handle you sorry excuse for a..."

Just then, she heard another voice. A bearded heavy-set human a good foot taller than her hurried over.

He chased after the robot. It had just rolled up to her when Gary approached. "Excuse me! Are you? You know, Her? The intergalactic time and temperature lady," Gary inquired.

The Operator groaned and tried hard not to roll her eyes.

"Oh, yes," she said doing her best to be polite. "I get that a lot. I bet you've probably 'eard me give the time and temp on whatever planet you're from... Well, yes. That's me. It's great to meet you 'n all but..."

She was hoping the man would get the hint and attempted to turn back toward the private area beyond the curtains to make a hasty escape.

Having been left behind by Gary, Jet returned to the goblin things space crows tended to do when being left on their own accord. He chased around one of the tentacled waiters to acquire yet another flute of alcohol, although this time the waiter was prepared for the kenku's dexterity - the tray successfully dodged Jet's right hand to the left, his left hand to the right, although it had nowhere to escape when Jet just grabbed one of the glasses with his beak.
He lifted it above his head this way, and most of the pouring alcohol even landed on the inside of Jet.
After disposing of the glas (by just spiting it out in a high arc), he proceeded to fill his pockets with this and that, mainly canapé and forks that looked particularly shiny.
After some wandering, he finally arrived close to the start, near Hanley and Tabby. He stopped for a moment to listen to their awkwardness, deeming it better than every Soap he had ever watched.

"Excuse me! Are you? You know, Her? The intergalactic time and temperature lady," Gary inquired.

The Operator groaned and tried hard not to roll her eyes.

"Oh, yes," she said doing her best to be polite. "I get that a lot. I bet you've probably 'eard me give the time and temp on whatever planet you're from... Well, yes. That's me. It's great to meet you 'n all but..."

She was hoping the man would get the hint and attempted to turn back toward the private area beyond the curtains to make a hasty escape.

"I knew it was you! I'm a huge fan! You're right up there with Jane Barbe, Mary Moore and the other voices of the telephone network. Of course, ITC doesn't service Earth, but I pick up transmissions. I'm a HAM radio operator," Gary boasted. He then lowered his voice. "I've always, knew you were out there, but you know how Earth people are..."

OOC: Sorry all, we were hit by a bad storm early Tuesday morning. We've had no power or internet. Everything came back online about 10 PM last night. I'm at my mom's house. My home still doesn't have power or internet as of this morning. I'll post for the other characters once we get some more posts in. We are not taking any new players at this point and will begin wrapping things in another round or two.

Tabitha Blackwell wrote:

"So, um, you've like been there," Tabby asked. She twisted a lock of her red hair nervously. After a moment she realized what she was doing. "Texas I mean. As for spiders, um, no thanks. We're good as long as we keep our distance from each other.

Hanley grinned. "Yeah, I've been to a lot of places on Earth... A few of them are really similar, I mean, there's like a sense of... A culture within a culture... Because there's France and Italy, and then Great Britain, and then the 'States of America, and then... There's New York, or Texas.... And then, it's all Earth Culture, overall. For the most part, I mean, it's like that. Like a," she waved her hands, "a nesting egg, you know? But there are a few that are interesting. Mars and Venus kind of remind me of when I went to Egypt, and the Philippines... Malaysia, there was a day trip - no, a two-day shore leave - that I was there, and it was so.... Well, wet," she laughed. "It was beautiful. But also, really wet. It reminded me a lot of Neptune at first, but when I went to... Venus, it was surprisingly similar. Actually I was also there for a two-day shore leave, and a night's stayover to boot, so... Maybe it's the two days, and not the planet." She contemplated.
"I actually have a shuttle in dock at the moment, not the same one I took to Texas, but one where I've had a layover in Alpha Vega, and Delta Vega.... But I don't want to bore you. Sorry. Have you traveled much?"

Tabby noticed Jet return and watch them as she talked to Hanley. She listened to her explain about all the places she'd been including Earth.

"I actually have a shuttle in dock at the moment, not the same one I took to Texas, but one where I've had a layover in Alpha Vega, and Delta Vega.... But I don't want to bore you. Sorry. Have you traveled much?"

"Well," Tabby said twisting a lock of hair around her finger. "My family move every year. We've never been to other planets. In fact, I've never lived outside the US, but we've lived all over the country. My dad, uh... his job. We transfer a lot..."

It was clear from Tabby's body language that she seemed a bit uncomfortable talking about this.
The Operator (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

"I knew it was you! I'm a huge fan! You're right up there with Jane Barbe, Mary Moore and the other voices of the telephone network. Of course, ITC doesn't service Earth, but I pick up transmissions. I'm a HAM radio operator," Gary boasted. He then lowered his voice. "I've always, knew you were out there, but you know how Earth people are..."

"Who? Never 'eard of 'em," The Operator said with a shrug when Gary named dropped the two unfamiliar names. "Earth? Is that your planet? Not familiar with it. But it sounds like you must be serviced by an independent space phone company...."

Just then, there was a loud explosion. Everyone turned toward the door. The hall began to fill with smoke and there was a commotion. People began fleeing and running in all directions.
The Doctor (played anonymously)

Suddenly, the TARDIS materialized in the corner. A man with a long scarf stepped out and made eye contact with Gary and the teens.

"Hurry, this way! We've got to get out of here," The Doctor said waving them toward the TARDIS.

The shadows of several beings could be seen in the smoke, but their features were not distinguishable. They were just dark outlines.

OOC: If you are going to continue the RP, you can try making it to the TARDIS, but fail. Only those that are not going to continue the game should go with the Doctor and be successful. Everyone else, we'll start a new thread. Everyone should make a final post to wrap this scene up.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Towel Day RP- Zaphod Beeblebrox party (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus