Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » General DMing, looking for interest

Minerva

Hey, guys. I was wondering. Who here is ever just bored, and wants to throw their character in a side situation/challenge?

I don't have good net access lately, but I can come on a few times a week. I was considering offering up the many dungeons/areas/settings I've run over time for people to go adventure and plunder through. List legendary items and stuff that could be acquired, let people know what they want to set out for. I've got a fantasy-medeival world, a modern-nexus world, and a few other settings that are less easily categorized. I accept anyone from any era in either, as dimensional instabilities tend to tie my stories/areas together anyway.

The idea is, I allow anyone of any system. If you have a stat sheet, let me look at it and get the idea of what your character is, but the DM is designed to also allow free-form type characters to be involved. The only agreement is listening to the DM at the time, and using common sense. I try to stagger challenges according to the amount and type of players I get.

But before I go about making a massive list of my settings, I want to know if anyone would be interested. Keep in mind, there would be times I couldn't reply for three, four days and other days I can sit and reply actively. I don't want anyone feeling "stuck" or like they can't use a character while they're in a dungeon or something.

Anyone interested?";
I would be very much interested.

I do mostly hope for a small group though, group adventures ar emuch more logical and give a wider variety of possible events :p
Minerva Topic Starter

I'm willing to work with anything from one to twelve RPers per setting, with a prime amount in the 3-8 area. Anything more than a dozen gets ridiculous, but at that point they'd be welcome to go to another location. One person's enough to prod me to type up the list. When I'm done with dinner I'll put up some selections.
Minerva Topic Starter

Actually, I'll amend that. I'll get a proper list prepared over the next week and then post it up.

I can readily link to here, however: Serpent's Isle - Physical description available there. Threat level: EXTREMELY UNFAIR ; Available: Plethoras of magical and philosophical tomes, enchanted items, legendary weapons. Enemy types: The era you choose to play in will determine what servants and/or items you will encounter. Dragons, snakes, dinosaurs, hydra, legendary beasts, demons, lesser demons, half-breed demons, chaotic races, undead. Other challenges: Enough traps to make you crap yourself.

The era can be adapted due to the fact that the "Prince" ruling the isle went through multiple alternate universe/recurrent worlds. I'll give more details on how to pick a cycle later.
This sounds very interesting to me, i got several characters that would work for something like this.
Ohlord, I preffer around 4-6 players tops.
I've recently had RP's with 11 peopel and it's just not do-able.

I do lack any kind of sheet with written down skills etc. for the characters that I want to join in with.
One beeing a pirate and the other an Asari mercenary from spaaaaace. Though I'm betting it'll probably end up beeing the pirate.

Serpent's Isle looks very interesting, can't wait for the list :p
Minerva Topic Starter

Silly TBC, that depends on the GM.

In chat-based RP, it depends more on how stupidly set on making awesomely huge paragraphs people are. If everyone has to write a small novel, progress gets delayed.

In RP forum, more is actually doable. It depends on a few set parameters:

How many posts are you allowed before the GM responds?
What qualifies as an action?

And a few others.

Let me put it this way: If your characters are only taking general dialogue action to discuss a scheme (outside of enemy ear reach) you get unlimited posts between each other. In a situation where you're drawing swords, slinging magic or being epic, each post should be waited upon until the GM can respond. There are times to be anal retentive about post turns, and there are times to not (dialogue). This is something that has been obscured over the ages. Most completely anal players that will flip even over dialogue have never sat around a D&D table and fired off commentary between their fellow players. Such things are lifeblood to a proper RP, and those who refuse to accept it become stagnant, or suffer posts that essentially have six conversations going on.

Nothing peeves me worse than the following.

"Hi bob, hi Joe, hi Sarah. I had a good day today. What did you do, Sarah? Oh, Joe, I built that new model of airplane you wanted. Bobby, did you break up with Josephine yet?"
"Yeah we totally did. You're building an airplane? I had no idea! Tell me about it, Joe! my day was good too."
"Glad your day was good. Yeah, what did you do, Sarah? Oh, he's building a plane to outo the [awesome model]. I have new blueprints for you, Tony. [Five paragraphs of seemingly awesome info]. Yeah, what'd you do, Sarah?"
[Sarah replies]

Dialogue doesn't work like this in real life, and if people stopped being so retarded about post turns it'd never become an issue. If you're worried about posts overlapping make it chat based, and wait a few seconds before you ever hit enter. That alleviates that problem.

I've managed to run a successful campaign with as many as 14 participants in a common room. It just took them being willing to cooperate, forego any idea of post length that they felt was demanded, and state 'I'm taking a turn' when demanded, so the room went silent and everyone started falling into line.

Ultimately, it takes the right group and good management.

But I really doubt my first run at this is gonna have that many people. So far only a few have replied. Still gonna work on a proper list. The great thing about Serpent's Isle is that it can work literally anywhere, anytime. The overlord essentially zips it up in a dimensional bubble and drops it where he wants to, he just has a favored location for it, where he originally found it.
I am very impressed that you manage to succesfully run something with 14 people.

And I can't tell you how much I hate the horrible multi-conversations going on. Same actually counts for novel RP, I started RP'ing in WoW and did so for 4 years where post usually exsisted out of a sentence and I loved it. Since th etime I've quit WoW this place and Furc have been my only real RP sources. While I can take it on forums due to usually not playing real time I hate it on furc. I don't like waiting and even if I did I am so easely distracted. So if I have to wait 15 minutes for a massive post that only give me a few details that could've been doen with half the amount of text my mind wanders and I tend to forget I'm even RP'ing.
And it gets worse when there's 10 of them novel posters! Like argh!

*cough* Ahem, anyway if you really manage to keep 14 players in check I am very impressed.
Just noticed I also wrote that at the start of my post woop!
Minerva Topic Starter

While it's mostly idle now, you can check out s8.invisionfree.com/Szurane , we had a few hundred players registered, and they showed up in good bunches on weekends. That started like, a decade ago though, so over time it inevitably dwindled. Real life has a funny effect like that.

It's a little impressive, I guess, but proper respect needs to be given to the group of players that participated.

Still working on a thorough list, this last week has been hectic.

But that said. What days, and times, are best for you to get on during an active meet? I can tell you right now that through October, Fridays and Saturdays 5-11PM Central USA are going to be my highlight activity times, and I'd like to see if that could be worked with by anyone interested.

Beyond that the idea would be:

Casual posts allowed. Anything not demanding GM response. That means don't interact with environment, don't attack someone, but if you want to have Character Bob talk to Character Stacy, go ahead and talk, post, be casual, keep it flowing. Any fighting or environmental interaction would need GM response.
Best active meets for me would also be on Fridays and Saturdays. The problem is that I live in Europe, so yeah, there's a big time difference there xp
Minerva Topic Starter

You're six hours ahead of me then. Sherrrt. Well, we can figure this out gradually... GMing for just one person is silly. XD
I am extremely interested, although I have the same problem as TBC, european timezone
Minerva wrote:
You're six hours ahead of me then. Sherrrt. Well, we can figure this out gradually... GMing for just one person is silly. XD

Agreed, 't is quite silly.

Damned timezones.
Minerva Topic Starter

Hm, well, I may have a solution for this. I'll slap together some dungeon campaigns and make a two month registration process. That seems like a long time but I have very good odds of my life, internet availability, etc starting to turn around by then. I'm currently stuck in a podunk town on very poor hours, but I may be moving out to Beaumont halfway through November, with the spouse looking to get a 15$~/hour paying job with 40-70 hour workweeks, if everything works out here. Meaning? Home internet again--meaning better access. If I'm not set up by then we can arrange everyone's dates.

I'm very sorry I haven't posted up the stuff yet, I've been busy.
There's no need to be sorry. Real Life is much more important than some RP :p I can wait two months it's not that long.

And I imagine everyone else understands this aswell.
TBC, if you join anything with your asari, I'm totally playing the part of rainbow dash as your buddy space cop / space mercenary sidekick. Just fyi.
mross wrote:
TBC, if you join anything with your asari, I'm totally playing the part of rainbow dash as your buddy space cop / space mercenary sidekick. Just fyi.

I'm totally okay with that.
ToBeContinued wrote:
mross wrote:

/)^3^(\ Sooo awesome!
mross wrote:
ToBeContinued wrote:
mross wrote:

/)^3^( Sooo awesome!

Profit gets shared 60/40 though.
Rainbow Dash (played by The_Ross)

ToBeContinued wrote:
mross wrote:
ToBeContinued wrote:
mross wrote:

/)^3^( Sooo awesome!

Profit gets shared 60/40 though.

But I'm the fastest flier in the the whole Citadel! I should get half at least!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » General DMing, looking for interest

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus