Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Dead Island

Sanne Moderator

I got hold of a copy of Dead Island through a friend of mine. Does anyone else here play it?

I'm absolutely stunned. This game is AWESOME. I haven't come far yet since I just began playing it with my friend (both single player and Skyping, so much fun <3 ) but I'm loving every bit of it so far. I don't have the most high end computer out there, it's already a couple of years old, but I can play this game flawlessly on medium settings. It's so beautifully designed and you have to scavenge for your own weapons, you can - if I understood this right - create weapons by putting various items together. Like duct tape, a paddle and stuff like that...

The environment is breathtaking. This is a tropical island resort, and funnily enough most of the zombies walk around in bikinis and swimsuits. XD But the place looks very realistic!

I'm only level 3 right now, and already encoutered a 'boss' zombie that I had to kill by flining a propane tank at it repeatedly - no explosions, but the impact of a tank like that is pretty hefty.

The fun thing about it compared to other games like Left 4 Dead is that not all zombies are the same. Some walk slowly, some come charging at you and some don't notice you until you're really close. This means you never really know what the zombie ahead of you will do. It keeps you tense, and I already died a couple of times because I was caught off-guard.
I bought it not long after it came out and have only played about 20 minutes of it, sadly! (Mainly due to lots of IRL things like school and work.. aaaand just way more interested in another game.)

I don't think I've played it enough as I'm not yet as impressed as I was hoping I would be. I may have also been a bit too excited about it and may have had higher expectations. It is gorgeous and I had tons of fun driving around killing zombies in my truck.

I really hate the fact that in multiplayer talking is hands free. That's one of the worst things they could have done- it should be push to talk in my opinion.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I've played Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 to death with my friends and we're kind of bored of it now.

Dead Island looks interesting but I've not had a chance to play it yet.
Minerva

BEWARE SANNE. BEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE.

The game itself is great, but there are definite problems. I mean, I work in game retail and most of our copies that got traded in came back because of these problems. I don't know if the patch has been released yet, I know it's been talked about, but go online and see if there are patches available for download. There were saving glitches that could make you lose ten levels of progress. There were invisible walls you could get stuck behind if you fell through the wrong hole. There were things that made people entirely have to restart their game. I covered this in another thread somewhere, discussing the same game.

Fun, cool game play but seriously, make sure you're patched if it's available yet. I'm hoping it is by now. Now given, I know of this on 360 and PS3, I don't know if it's a computer version issue. So... check, just in case. You may be safe.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Minerva wrote:
BEWARE SANNE. BEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE.

The game itself is great, but there are definite problems. I mean, I work in game retail and most of our copies that got traded in came back because of these problems. I don't know if the patch has been released yet, I know it's been talked about, but go online and see if there are patches available for download. There were saving glitches that could make you lose ten levels of progress. There were invisible walls you could get stuck behind if you fell through the wrong hole. There were things that made people entirely have to restart their game. I covered this in another thread somewhere, discussing the same game.

Fun, cool game play but seriously, make sure you're patched if it's available yet. I'm hoping it is by now.

No worries! I'm a nerd, I check up on expected glitches before I get a game, the first thing I did is look for patches and common problems. ;) No level progress lost yet, plus I'm backing up my saved progress as individual files after every major quest (I name them after what the quest was about, my latest one was with the Juice packs in the gas stations, so I named it 'juicepacksmissions', rofl)

darth_angelus wrote:
I've played Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 to death with my friends and we're kind of bored of it now.

Dead Island looks interesting but I've not had a chance to play it yet.

Same here, by now I just play the game to relax and shoot stuff, but it doesn't... thrill me anymore to play L4D. And in multiplayer I mostly end up yelling at people for pulling stupid moves that get the entire team killed. XD
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Yeah, I get yelled at for not being able to see everything happening on the entire map or not being able to rescue someone in trouble instantly. Kind of kills my enjoyment of the game.

There's a really great Helm's Deep map though :)

darth_angelus wrote:
Yeah, I get yelled at for not being able to see everything happening on the entire map or not being able to rescue someone in trouble instantly. Kind of kills my enjoyment of the game.

There's a really great Helm's Deep map though :)

Aww, yeah that's a bit too much. It's mostly people who run around like headless chicken, setting off alarms after being reminded to be careful ten times already, ditching the group and triggering tanks while on their own etc. that bug me a lot. It's called a team for a reason! :P

And what... is Helm's Deep? XD
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Helm's Deep, as in Lord of the Rings. Someone recreated it and you have to hold off the horde as long as possible.

Link

My friends like to play the eight player scavenge maps, one team of survivors vs the other team of special infected, which is a great way to get yelled at if you don't play perfectly.

darth_angelus wrote:
Helm's Deep, as in Lord of the Rings. Someone recreated it and you have to hold off the horde as long as possible.

Link

My friends like to play the eight player scavenge maps, one team of survivors vs the other team of special infected, which is a great way to get yelled at if you don't play perfectly.

I am not really a survival map fan. XD Sorry! But it does seem like fun if you like LOTR and Survivals. :D

On a sidenote, Dead Island has a really funny easter egg. I noticed this while I was walking past a couple of cars:

d34d1574nd.jpg
Dead island is really fun, but its really glitchy sometimes x.x i had to restart my entire game once because of the glitches in it. Its a game i prolly should have waited on getting, but i also don't really regret getting it and my fave weapon combo is the electrical blades xD Its fun seen them get electrocuted.

And i also have both L4D to.

Thats why I usually don't buy a game until its been fairly old, say 5-6 months? Gives the game a chance to fish for the bugs, iron them out and usually the price drops a little by then too. :)

I had the chance to use the game my friend bought (hence the single player for both of us), but I understood that multiplayer still refuses to function properly. When I have the money I am buying a copy for myself. ;)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Wait until Christmas if you can. It will probably be included in one of the sales Steam likes to do at that time of year. That's what I'm planning to do ;)

Although I'll probably be too distracted by The Old Republic to actually play it :)
Lol Skyrim. November 11th hits, im gonna be non-exsistant to the world probably.
Minerva

Dude when Skyrim comes out my butt is going to grow roots and draw nutrients from the ground rather than taking time to eat. Or potty.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Dead Island

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus