Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Random Numbers and Letters

Has anybody else been seeing the random string of letters and numbers around the site, such as 21bc or 20d6? I've seen two on my update feed and one in the small talk forum already. The numbers and letters seem to change ever now and then. I reported this as a big but was curious if anybody was experiencing this or knew anything about it.
Inkliest Topic Starter

After posting this I have the number '887 at the bottom.
Sanne Moderator

Can you post a screenshot? What browser are you using? Mobile or desktop?
Kim Site Admin

This really sounds like, at best, a malfunctioning plugin, and at worst a symptom of some kind of malware.
Inkliest Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
Can you post a screenshot?
I can! I took screenshots before I reported the bug actually.
Pic 1
It's in the middle left. '1f1e'jfzw4x.png

Pic 2
It's in the top left. '21bd'8xv60w.png

Sanne wrote:
What browser are you using?
I was using Safari on my IPhone when I came across it.
Sanne wrote:
Mobile or desktop?
Mobile
Kim wrote:
This really sounds like, at best, a malfunctioning plugin, and at worst a symptom of some kind of malware.
It was on my IPhone for a while. When I logged into RPR on my computer I didn't see it. Once I switched back to the IPhone after that it seemed to be gone.

Update: It came back. It actually will insert itself into my chat haha.
Kim Site Admin

New potential theory: Compression artifacts, from when your phone service squishes the code for the pages before transmitting it? Sometimes when they compress, there are unintended accidents.
Sanne Moderator

To add in on Kim's questions: is your iPhone jailbroken? If you didn't jailbreak it you mostlikely don't have malware on your phone, but if you did you may have unintentionally installed malware. Also make sure Safari is updated to its latest version, just in case.
Inkliest Topic Starter

The phone has never been jail broken. And today is the first time these popped up. Is there anything I can do to stop it?
Sanne Moderator

Gamers wrote:
The phone has never been jail broken. And today is the first time these popped up. Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Can you check if this happens when you're in WiFi or only when you're on 4G? That's what Kim's question is about.

If it happens on 4G, either your phone or your carrier compresses the data before it arrives on your phone, but something doesn't go quite right and the text gets tossed in there.

Can you also verify if this happens only on RPR or also on other websites?

If the issue persists, you can try to install a different browser, such as Opera. If it still happens on sites other than RPR even after that, but only on 4G, contact your service provider about it.

If it happens on both Wifi, 4G, Safari and Opera, then there's likely an issue with your phone's firmware. Make sure to update it to the latest firmware. If this doesn't work or it's already updated, backup ALL your information (contacts, data, music, pictures etc. etc.) and do a factory reset.

If that doesn't work either then get Apple to replace a faulty device.
Inkliest Topic Starter

It doesn't occur on any of the other sites I checked when I was on 4G, but it also disappeared when I just now checked it with wifi. So I'm pretty sure it is my IPhone. Thanks for all the help!

You are on: Forums » Help » Random Numbers and Letters

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus