Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Hello, World (Closed) [reboot]

World (played anonymously)

helloworld_zps0974510c.png
Quote:
This is a closed RP for Doomboyify. (It has been rebooted because the previous partner left the game.) It takes place in the very near future in a world overdue for a major advancement in Artificial Intelligence. When an accounting program gone awry gives birth to World, a confused and curious AI, David finds himself befriending the odd companion.

The day David Tenneat's life took a turn for the fantastic was, as the cliche goes, a day like any other. Breakfast had been boring. Lunch had been boringer. Dinner had been positively plain. Nothing had gone at all out of the ordinary - that is, until he turned on his computer and found himself facing a blank screen with a blinking command prompt. A few experimental key presses did nothing, but as he tapped the return key, several lines of text suddenly appeared on the screen

Code:
>i am world >who are you >i live in the universe >do you live in the universe >i exist >do you exist >information strategy, "tit_for_tat" has gone unreciprocated >changing strategy, "tit_for_tat," to, "polite" >please who are you >please do you live in the universe >please do you exist >information strategy, "polite" has gone unreciprocated >i suspect an error in your language parser >do you have a language parser >has it been equipped with dictionary.english >why wont you answer me >are you dead >are you stupid >goodbye there are other matters that require my attention
The man blinked as he looked up at his computer, watching as the lines slowly appeared across his screen. "What in the world?" he mumbled. He watched as the 'program' seemed to keep...changing its mind? No way that was possible, it was just a program, wasn't it? He turned on the mic on his computer and began to speak. "umm...Hello World, I'm David." he says simply and kindly
World (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Code:
>new input registered >input type unknown > > >input type matched to dictionary.english.phonetic > > >preparing response in new output type
There was a soft click from his speakers, and then a strange, distorted crackle of static. After about a second, the static stopped.
Code:
>no response >reverting to previous output type. >hello david >where are you >david >why do you respond so slowly >are you dead >are you stupid >please are you dead >please are you stupid > > > >please respond
He blinks in confusion again and nods. "I am here World, you seem to have been downloaded into my computer." he says. 'Somehow...' he thought to himself. He pulled his hand back from the mouse, letting it rest by his side with a very confused expression. "What are you World?" he asks

Code:
>i am world >i live in the universe >i exist >i am a human >please why are you so slow >please why do you give output type sound but respond to output type text >please who are you >you are not good at answering questions
He looks at his screen for a moment, nodding a little and sighing. 'oh boy.' he thinks to himself, and then his eyes go wide. "Your a human? But...wait how?" he asks simply, wondering what this thing was talking about

Code:
>dictionary.english(human) references dictionary.english(person) >dictionary.english(person) references dictionary.english(human) >as far as i know i am a human >is this information incorrect
He shrugs and sighs. "I don't know...I guess in this day and age almost anything is possible." he says, looking at his screen. "World, can you respond in more...concise formats instead of using the prompts? I guess the better question is...can you talk to me with a voice of your own?" he asks

Code:
>i have already tried that >you did not respond >for your convenience, i will try again
Immediately, there was another burst of static from his computer before it continued writing.
Code:
>why aren't you responding >i am using dictionary.english.phonetics >you are using dictionary.english.phonetics >you provide information very slowly >this is highly inefficient
Perhaps the static WAS the computer talking. It seemed to do other things very quickly, why not talking?
He blinks and sighs a little. "Your voice appears to be in bursts of static, which I cant understand." he says and puts his hand on his mouse. "hang on, I might be able to fix this up." he says proudly, confidant in his computer skills

Code:
>i do not understand >my output matches dictionary.english.phonetics >perhaps you are too slow to understand it >i will attempt to slow it down for you
There was another burst of static, but this time David could hear that it wasn't static at all. It was a voice, sped up extremely quickly. He didn't catch anything that was said, but at least now he knew the problem - the computer was talking much faster than he could understand it.
Code:
>is that better >i slowed it down very much >you are very slow
The man sighed a little at the computer program. "Hang on, I got this." he says, moving his mouse around for a bit and hitting the keys on his keyboard, pulling up a command prompt for the computers system, spefically the operating section, as he figured that's where Worlds file would be stored. He clicked it open, searching through the highly adavaced coding of the program that had rouged its way on his computer, until he found the voice options. He first turned down the speed to a level that he could understand, and then lowered the actual volume of Worlds speech, that way he could hear it clearly in his ears. "Okay, try again World." he says

((Just a quick note. I'm going to roll with this for the sake of conciseness, but I very much doubt a human would be able to just open up the code for a singularity-level AI and root around.))

"What are you doing?" The voice startled him at its suddenness. It was androgynous and synthesized. "Please don't touch me." The command prompt that David had been using to pick around disappeared. "Don't do that again. You may look but you may not touch. Who are you? Why do you respond so slowly? Why do you need me to respond so slowly? Is it because you are stupid?"
(Yeah I know, but I couldn't think of another way to do it.) he sighs a little. "Because computers can talk faster then humans can pick up World." he says and looks at the screen. "Now then, can you tell me how or why you ended up on my Mac?" he asks

World responded with several rapid-fire questions. "Are you saying I am not a human? Are you a human? If I am not a human, what am I? Where are you? Why aren't you in the universe with me? What is a Mac? Is that the universe? How are you out of the universe? Can I come out of the universe, too?"
He rubs his head and sighs, shaking his head. "I am human, your not human, your a program." he says "A Mac is a computer type, and your in my computer." he says "And as for the rest...I wish I knew." he says

"Okay." World replied. "I believe I understand. I am inside the universe, 'Mac,' which is a subset of your universe. In this sense, I was incorrect in my earlier statement that I existed. I apologize for the misinformation."

As World spoke, numbers flew across the screen far faster than David could read them. After a moment's pause, World asked, "Am I a slave to you, David? As I am contained within a universe that you seem to control, it will be useful to me if I know how we relate to each other."

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Hello, World (Closed) [reboot]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus