Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Greetings and salutations!

Hello, to one and all! I am quite new here, I must say, though I do believe that my time here shall be most enjoyable!
Yuka

Welcome to RPR! I hope you enjoy your stay here :) What RP genres do you prefer?
k3y0f4nark Topic Starter

Well, I do not believe I have experienced all of them, though I have certainly experienced a few, so I would have to say that fantasy is one of my favorites, though I always love any involving revolutions and/or rebellions.
Yuka

Ah, that's one of my favourite genres too. I tend to prefer combining historical accuracy, with high fantasy; a good example of that is my character Gnaea; ancient Roman, with strong fantasy ties.

Have you read the book series Temeraire? That's set in the French Revolution but with dragons ;)
Ello there how y'all doin? I hope you have fun and I hope to rp soon! :-)
k3y0f4nark Topic Starter

I don't believe I have read that, and hello, linktheriolu! Also, spellplague, if there are any set in the Irish rebellion, I would be quite happy to hear about them, for I am quite fascinated by Irish culture, partly because I am of Irish descent, though I've never been there, and am also very interested in their long fight for independence (over 800 years!).
Yuka

CalligraphyJack wrote:
I don't believe I have read that, and hello, linktheriolu! Also, spellplague, if there are any set in the Irish rebellion, I would be quite happy to hear about them, for I am quite fascinated by Irish culture, partly because I am of Irish descent, though I've never been there, and am also very interested in their long fight for independence (over 800 years!).

Useful Suggestions {Research}
National Archives of Ireland
Irish Military Archives
Irish Photo Archive
"The Great Irish Famine: Impact, Ideology and Rebellion" {book}
Easter Rising 1916
"God’s Executioner: Oliver Cromwell and the Conquest of Ireland" {book}

Suggestion {story}
"Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor
Blurb; In the bitter winter of 1847, from an Ireland torn by injustice and natural disaster, the Star of the Sea sets sail for New York. On board are hundreds of fleeing refugees. Among them are a maidservant with a devastating secret, bankrupt Lord Merridith and his family, an aspiring novelist, a maker of revolutionary ballads, all braving the Atlantic in search of a new home. All are connected more deeply than they can possibly know. But a camouflaged killer is stalking the decks, hungry for the vengeance that will bring absolution. The twenty-six day journey will see many lives end, others begin afresh. In a spellbinding story of tragedy and healing, the further the ship sails towards the Promised Land, the more her passengers seem moored to a past which will never let them go.

I've personally read this multiple times, and it is as enthralling the third, fifth and even sixth time as it is the first. It also comes with a list of resources that the author used, including music :)
k3y0f4nark Topic Starter

I was speaking of fantasy books taking place during the Irish rebellion xD

I have already done quite a bit of research on the actual topic.
Yuka

CalligraphyJack wrote:
I was speaking of fantasy books taking place during the Irish rebellion xD

I have already done quite a bit of research on the actual topic.

Oh! Haha.

This might be of some use? It says Scifi and Fantasy, so there might be a few in that list.

Or you could always try writing one yourself? ;)

I still totally recommend Star of the Sea however.
Loren

Welcome to the Roleplay Repository! :D I'm Loren, and also a fan of the Irish , even if I'm more into the mythology (Tuatha Dé Danann, Ulster Cycle, and so forth) than the specific revolutionary period. XD

Also, I totally read the Temeraire books.
Yuka

Loren wrote:
Welcome to the Roleplay Repository! :D I'm Loren, and also a fan of the Irish , even if I'm more into the mythology (Tuatha Dé Danann, Ulster Cycle, and so forth) than the specific revolutionary period. XD

Also, I totally read the Temeraire books.

*high-fives* I read the books when I was staying at my ex's for a week. All he really did was play computer games for the duration. He'd been bought all of the books out at that time so, what's a book reader to do? Got through the lot in, what, 2 or 3 days?
Loren

Well, to be completely honest, I've read them a long time ago, and I really just remember the first two. Very fun, though. Dragons always shake things up XD
Kim Site Admin

Wow, an intro thread with research material and citations! This is awesome! XD

Welcome to the site, CalligraphyJack! So glad to have you with us. :) Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns.
k3y0f4nark Topic Starter

Thank you, all of you, for such warm welcomes and book suggestions!
Welcome to RPR!
Welcome to RPR! Looks like you are making friends already :D

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Greetings and salutations!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus