Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Image upload troubles?

Kim Site Admin

I keep getting reports about certain images being uploaded causing the site to freak out and display an endless loading spinner. It seems to be associated with specific images. I can't seem to find an image that causes this on my own. So I need your help!

Could anyone who has experienced this issue pretty please email me the image that's causing it to admin@rprepository.com ? I need to study the files and see if I can identify a common thread that could cause these errors. Please do not send me a link to the image uploaded elsewhere. Most other sites do their own processing to an image when they save it, and this seems to remove whatever irregularity causes the problem, making it useless for this experiment.

I would so appreciate any help on this, and will merrily give out accolades to anyone who can provide an image that triggers this error.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Still looking for unruly images. Pretty please send them in. :)
I have yet to upload one that breaks rpr yet, but I'll keep trying.
I just got one, and it made me very sadface because it's such an adorable image!

I'll send it to you right now :)

Edit: I went back and tried it again, and this time it worked :x
BloodLilly

I sent the email, I hope we can get this fixed.
Edit- I went back after I sent the email like the one before me and it worked.. Thats very odd.
I just found something out. Maybe one reason is the internet browser. Because I retried on Firefox but when I try just a normal internet explorer it doesnt want to upload it. For me anyways. I hope that helps find the problem.

Thank you. Knowing that it's been primarily an IE problem does help!

Okay, I think I have a lead on at least one problem. Testing out some alternate scripts now..

One issue fixed, and I'm starting to get back positive tests for MOST of the trouble images in IE8, IE9 and Chrome. I have not yet tested Firefox.

In the course of this I also uncovered a second issue that's affecting a smaller number of images, so there will still be a handful that don't load properly. Continuing to work on that...

The final image that was giving me trouble was the result of an invalid marker type. For safety, the server is set up to disallow uploading of files that can't be properly verified. Unfortunately, in some cases it wasn't reporting this decision in any intelligible way, it was just silently failing. It should now be more articulate about when it rejects a file.

When this happens, you can almost always fix the problem by re-saving it.

At this point, all the images I've been sent are now either uploading smoothly or reporting why they can't instead of showing the loading spinner forever. I'm getting positive tests in IE8, IE9, Chrome and Firefox.

If you have any further issues, please let me know right away! :)

And up goes the third patch of the day. Hopefully these will all prove enduring fixes. :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Image upload troubles?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus