Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » More topics available for Find RP

ZeperTheStar

I'm unsure if it's an exclusive thing for mobile users or not, but I find it very restrictive and hard to really find an rp, or even find others for an rp. However, I feel as if it's more because now only 4 topics seem to appear on the find rp tab at a time. Maybe, if this isn't overly much, more than 4 topics could be considered by chance? Like how it was from before when there were very many.
Kim Site Admin

The 4 are only sample topics, shown before a search is conducted. We reduced the number of samples so that it didn't take quite so long to scroll to the search settings, especially for those on mobile.

If you press the "Find Games!" button below those sample results, you can get 20 topics and 20 groups -- 40 potential RPs in total. Pressing it again may show you a new selection. You don't have to adjust the search settings from the defaults if you don't want to.

It's also worth noting that if you have no search criteria, you can always just visit the forums directly to see everything, with no filters. :)
Rogue-Scribe

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but the title pretty much asks the question along the lines of what I want to ask which is this….

When going to the ‘Find Rp’ menu I get twenty open RP topics. When I hit the ‘Reload for more RPs’, I get twenty more, but many of the topics are the same topics that appeared in the first twenty. I reloaded five times and one of the topics made the list all five times. I took note of some open RP topics from the forum before I did this and some of them never appeared on any of the five reloads. Another observation was occasionally the same topic comes up twice on the same reloaded page. No filter settings were used. I’m more curious how the topics are chosen to be displayed.

Questions are:
  • Is this list generated randomly every reload from the open RP topics?
  • Is there any preferences given to certain RP topics to be placed on this list?
  • Does the date the topic was created have any bearing on whether the topic is picked up by the reload?
  • Do you think it would be possible to have topics included in the generated list page coded so they don’t re-appear when the reload button is used?
Kim Site Admin

Is this list generated randomly every reload from the open RP topics?
Yes, it's random every time.

Is there any preferences given to certain RP topics to be placed on this list?
There are ways that a topic can be excluded from your results. For example, it will not show ones you have muted or topics by people you've blocked.

Once that threshold has been met, however, it is purely random. We've previously experimented with giving slight preference to people whose IC posts tend to be a similar average length as your own, but right now, nothing like that is in effect.

Does the date the topic was created have any bearing on whether the topic is picked up by the reload?
No; the last time the OP interacted with the topic is the deciding factor. This includes the initial post by the OP, any responses by the OP, and clicks on "Extend ad duration" by the OP. This means that a topic that was made 6 months ago but the OP recently "silently bumped" by clicking "reopen" or "Extend ad duration" could still show up in Find RP, whereas it would be deeply buried on the forums.

Do you think it would be possible to have topics included in the generated list page coded so they don’t re-appear when the reload button is used?
The idea here is to make sure the topics are shown in purely random order so long as they are eligible to, as the first page of the LFRP forum is so fast-moving it's possible to be knocked off it within 12 hours. The Find RP tool is meant to relieve all pressure to be constantly bumping and jockeying for front-page space.

If there's topics you don't want to see come up in your refresh again because they are not for you, I recommend hiding them. They won't turn up again.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » More topics available for Find RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus