Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Subscriptions - Characters and Threads

Claine Moderator

Sorry RPR. I love you, I really do, but I don't want my email filled up with emails every time I get a reply to one of my topics. You're like a nagging girlfriend who has to tell me every piece of news. How about this RPR, I come to you and you tell me what's up?

Simply put, I would like a subscription button on threads and get alerted on my news feed when a thread I'm interested gets posted in.

But why stop at forum posts! There's characters I'm interested in, but are kept anonymous by their RPers. When changes are made to these character's profiles such as images, or diary entries, I don't know unless I'm told about it by the RPer themselves or I periodically check the character page. So, a subscription button for characters as well. I imagine this could also be useful if there's a character you wish to watch, even if they have known RPers, but you don't have the RPer on your friend's list.

One more small change related to my first point. Is it possible to turn off the auto-check in the "Email me when this topic is replied to," because I forget to uncheck that guy :c.";
Sanne Moderator

I made a similar suggestion before. :) It's also been thrown into the development log, so be sure to upvote it if you want it.

I think I also suggested about keeping track of anonymous alts before, but for the life of me I can't find where. I'm all in for it though!
Kim Site Admin

I'm sorry the subscriptions have been annoying you! Sanne is right, you should upvote this feature!

That project would also come along faster if someone had a brilliant idea about how the interface would look to choose whether emails were involved or not. I've not been happy with anything I've drafted thus far, it's always more cluttered than it needs to be and raises concerns that it would be confusing.

A "watch" option for characters has indeed been suggested before too. It's... way way more complicated than you think. Although it will probably occur at some point, it won't be in the next few months. It'd require a supporting army of changes and interfaces. But I've made a thing in the log about it so I don't forget to think about it, and so people can voice their support for it if they like.

And finally, an option about whether topics should start auto-checked is totally valid. Made myself a note about that one too!
Claine Topic Starter Moderator

I was thinking it could just be on your news feed, like:

"User1 and User2 replied 2 times to your subscribed forum topic [topic name]"

And the characters could be something like:

"Watched [character name] (played by anonymously) has added a new gallery image"

But if you're worried that'll clutter up the news feed too much, you could do something like this:

Images under handy collapse tag

xT59e.jpg

AKywo.jpg

gkvNp.jpg

Fbwmu.jpg

I know it's not super obvious from the final image, but there's a bunch of different topics from different forums all in the same place.
Kim Site Admin

Notifications already do tell you about topics you're subscribed to. :) I like the idea of having all your subscribed topics shown like a forum. I'll think about how to do that.

The interface that I'm struggling with is the actual method of subscribing and picking whether the subscription involves email or not.
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
Notifications already do tell you about topics you're subscribed to. :) I like the idea of having all your subscribed topics shown like a forum. I'll think about how to do that.

The interface that I'm struggling with is the actual method of subscribing and picking whether the subscription involves email or not.

I'd love to have something pop up that lets me pick from various options. Or a dropdown list.

Like so:

Subscribe:
  • Site notification only
  • Email notification only
  • Site and Email notification

Keep the subscribe button as it is now and present these options in an overlayed box. :)

On the site notification, I would love to have a separate area where subscribed topics are shown in a way like Claine suggested! Maybe not exactly like a forum, but something similar fitting the looks of the notifications area.
Claine Topic Starter Moderator

Kim wrote:
Notifications already do tell you about topics you're subscribed to.

Whoops, shows how much I know :D. I tend to not subscribe to topics at all because of the emails. Sanne's suggestion of having email alerts and site alerts turned on and off is great too. :)
Sanne Moderator

Claine wrote:
Kim wrote:
Notifications already do tell you about topics you're subscribed to.

Whoops, shows how much I know :D. I tend to not subscribe to topics at all because of the emails. Sanne's suggestion of having email alerts and site alerts turned on and off is great too. :)

To the very right, "Subscribed Topics" does just that!

The area looks exactly like regular notifications, except for that it's not 'clumped together' per topic. It's rather per notification, which is actually quite cluttered. :(

If there's an overhaul of the subscribed topics, it might be useful to add a button to the left or right to Unsubscribe on that overview. Maybe also mass-unsubscribe, and alter between site and email notifications.

Now I'm all excited about this. XD
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
If there's an overhaul of the subscribed topics, it might be useful to add a button to the left or right to Unsubscribe on that overview. Maybe also mass-unsubscribe, and alter between site and email notifications.

Click the pencil next to "subscribed topics" and you'll get a list of all your topics. You can use the X to unsubscribe from them on the fly.
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
Sanne wrote:

Click the pencil next to "subscribed topics" and you'll get a list of all your topics. You can use the X to unsubscribe from them on the fly.

You know. I actually think that this edit page does what we want! It lists all the topics without double entries from notifications and allows us to unsubscribe. :O

I never clicked the pencil before. I've no clue why. XD

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Subscriptions - Characters and Threads

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus