Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello! I'm new to RPR and forum roleplaying!

Hello! As you can see from the title, I'm pretty new to RPR. If you check, I'be been here for a couple weeks but I haven't done much! I'm knew to forum roleplayong, but not roleplaying itself! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on forum role playing. Instead of just googling it, I'd like to get it from people from the RPR community. Thanks!
welcome to the rpr! Please feel free to ask for help anytime ^^ i am always willing to help anyway I can
Hello! Welcome to RPR- Oh wait, I know you already. x3 Silly me, I don't need to welcome people already my friends! ..Too late now. *shrug*
Welcome to Rpr hope you have fun
Hey, welcome to RPR. Hope you have a really great time here. :)
Welcome to RPR!
Kim Site Admin

Welcome!

I'm not sure that forum RP has to be so drastically different from other forms of written RP -- my best tip is that you should get clear about your expectations when you start a RP, as there are people here from all kinds of RP backgrounds and with different ideas about how things should work. A lot of frustration can be done away with by just quickly touching base and making sure everyone is on the same page, for example, with things like expected posting rate or length. I, for example, believe that one or two sentences can be plenty to move the story forward, and prefer rapid but meaty posts to quantity (while occasionally many paragraphs will be needed to set up a new scene or circumstance, of course!) -- others feel that only a sentence is a sign of disrespect and will want a paragraph or more in every post. Neither way is wrong, but you can see how two people from different schools of thought would need to clarify with each other at the outset!

One other tip I have is that any topic on our forums - and indeed, any private message conversation - can be opened in a real time chat format instead. Just look for the "launch chat" button at the top and bottom of forum topics! If you and your RP partners find you prefer faster paced responses and are both on at the same time, that's a great way to proceed.

I hope this helped. Please feel free to ask questions! :)
booksarebae

Welcome! Maybe we could RP sometime!
Welcome to the site!
I'm sure you'll have a great time here, and feel free to PM me about anything :)

Btw. Your username is awesome!
Sanne Moderator

Welcome welcome! I have nothing further to add to Kim's excellent suggestions, as that's what I go by myself these days. :) We'll be happy to help you further if you still need help though.
Welcome to RPR! :) Looks like you got an excellent suggestion from Kim :D Hope you're enjoying the site!
Welcome to RPR! :star:
CosmicCometInOrbit

Welcome! I've heard a lot about you, from a friend of mine.
FooliusTheCooliest Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Welcome!

I'm not sure that forum RP has to be so drastically different from other forms of written RP -- my best tip is that you should get clear about your expectations when you start a RP, as there are people here from all kinds of RP backgrounds and with different ideas about how things should work. A lot of frustration can be done away with by just quickly touching base and making sure everyone is on the same page, for example, with things like expected posting rate or length. I, for example, believe that one or two sentences can be plenty to move the story forward, and prefer rapid but meaty posts to quantity (while occasionally many paragraphs will be needed to set up a new scene or circumstance, of course!) -- others feel that only a sentence is a sign of disrespect and will want a paragraph or more in every post. Neither way is wrong, but you can see how two people from different schools of thought would need to clarify with each other at the outset!

One other tip I have is that any topic on our forums - and indeed, any private message conversation - can be opened in a real time chat format instead. Just look for the "launch chat" button at the top and bottom of forum topics! If you and your RP partners find you prefer faster paced responses and are both on at the same time, that's a great way to proceed.

I hope this helped. Please feel free to ask questions! :)
Thank you very much for your wonderful tips!

BabyDragon wrote:
Welcome to the site!
I'm sure you'll have a great time here, and feel free to PM me about anything :)

Btw. Your username is awesome!
Thanks a lot!
All of you guys are making me smile!

booksarebae wrote:
Welcome! Maybe we could RP sometime!
Yeah! Possibly!

Sanne wrote:
Welcome welcome! I have nothing further to add to Kim's excellent suggestions, as that's what I go by myself these days. :) We'll be happy to help you further if you still need help though.
Alright! Thank you! Everyone is so welcoming here!
Spieza

ayyy. Welcome to RPR m8

CosmicCometInOrbit wrote:
Oooh really? What kind of things?
CosmicCometInOrbit

FooliusTheCooliest wrote:
CosmicCometInOrbit wrote:
Oooh really? What kind of things?

Basically, that you're awesome.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello! I'm new to RPR and forum roleplaying!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus