Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Why do I give my characters such a flaw!

Mana Being: Every 10 points spent gives a +1 to total mana. However the characters physical appearance will become more crystalline and glows after a while. Every 50 points spent will give them a +1% chance (Starts at 1% with a max of 50%) to become an Arcane Being or Mana Horror. This roll must be made the first time they use magic, every hour in-game.

That is the ability for my character Tir'n Azurenati, who is an artificer in DnD, and a Mana-tech user in my own system (Virtually the same thing). All her weapons cost mana to activate. Why do I do this to my characters?
Kim Site Admin

I guess I don't understand. I think I don't have enough information. It sounds like the flaw is a chance to get more powerful?
Minerva

Oh, good. Now I don't feel so silly wondering the same thing, Kim. Sounds like a typical balanced character: has limitations in their specialty, yet a method of growing and circumventing problems over time (level up, basically). Lol, if you think that's a problem you should see how I cripple my own characters. I have one who outright can't exist depending on the primary thought process of the world subconscious, or one who has to take multiple methods to stay alive that are all time consuming. Seems pretty balanced with growth potential to me.
Azurenati Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I guess I don't understand. I think I don't have enough information. It sounds like the flaw is a chance to get more powerful?

It is, you trade risk for additional power. The risk would turn my character into a Non-playable character. because both are considered monsters
Azurenati Topic Starter

Minerva wrote:
Oh, good. Now I don't feel so silly wondering the same thing, Kim. Sounds like a typical balanced character: has limitations in their specialty, yet a method of growing and circumventing problems over time (level up, basically). Lol, if you think that's a problem you should see how I cripple my own characters. I have one who outright can't exist depending on the primary thought process of the world subconscious, or one who has to take multiple methods to stay alive that are all time consuming. Seems pretty balanced with growth potential to me.

That was the overall idea, but there are easier methods to achieve the same effect. The problem with those methods, the require more time and effort. I tend to be a bit lazy, even with my own design O.o
Kim Site Admin

Azurenati wrote:
Kim wrote:

It is, you trade risk for additional power. The risk would turn my character into a Non-playable character. because both are considered monsters

Oh, I see. I guess most everywhere I play, monsters are completely acceptable (and common) as playable characters, so I didn't see that it was a player risk. That makes sense now.
Azurenati Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Azurenati wrote:
Kim wrote:

Oh, I see. I guess most everywhere I play, monsters are completely acceptable (and common) as playable characters, so I didn't see that it was a player risk. That makes sense now.

Well the problem with Arcane Beings, is that magic is second nature, so spell casting is pretty much limitless. And mana horrors are junkies who go around killing people to gain mana.
Kim Site Admin

I'm very curious about this now. Where are you playing this character? Is there a DM you turn the character over to should the flaw be triggered?
Azurenati Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I'm very curious about this now. Where are you playing this character? Is there a DM you turn the character over to should the flaw be triggered?

Well it is my own system, so I would over turn my own character if she ever got to such a point. As I do not believe in god modding in the slightest.
Kim Site Admin

Azurenati wrote:
Well it is my own system, so I would over turn my own character if she ever got to such a point. As I do not believe in god modding in the slightest.

Turn her over to who? :) I'm curious! This is an unusual model of flaws to those in the freeform crowd, it's great to see an example.
I think she might mean that she would either nuke or npc the character in such a way that it isn't interacted with much.
Azurenati Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Azurenati wrote:

Turn her over to who? :) I'm curious! This is an unusual model of flaws to those in the freeform crowd, it's great to see an example.

Well if she would make the transition, I would NPC status her or retire her and put her aside. then probably rename her and start over from scratch.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Why do I give my characters such a flaw!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus