Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello ^-^

Kim Site Admin

Welcome! :D I seem to be a little on the late side and most everything has been covered so far, but just in case, I'll run the risk of repeating people. :)

When getting started with RP, I really recommend this primer on basic RP concepts as a starting place. A few people have pointed this out already, but it's important enough to bear repeating! :)

Another thing to understand about the site is that our goal is to provide the general tools so that people can do any kind of RP that they want. I think that's part of what sets us apart from most other RP sites, which are often built to work with a specific system (ex. D&D 3.5) or style (ex. paragraph freeform) or even setting (ex. Harry Potterverse).

We have the flexibility for much more than one type of RP, which is awesome, but also makes it a little harder for us to tell you exactly what will be expected from you in every RP that you join here! But most people will happily tell you their expectations or what they'll need from you if you express an interest in knowing more about a potential RP. :) This might include things like the post length they prefer, whether they want people writing in first or third person, or even if they are going to use dice to augment the RP (more on that below!).

We also had some community discussions awhile back about how to improve at RP.. I boiled them down into interesting articles for those who are interested. Here's a selection of my favorite ones:

Writing for RP
The responsibility of ALL RPers (getting this one right will generally make people sing your praises!)
And if you want to put a slightly more advanced technique in your back pocket for now and again: Using dice to enhance RP

This is a pretty big site with a lot of features and areas, so if you have questions or curiosities, don't worry, there's a lot of resources. Probably the first thing to try is just typing your question into the search box, or you can go to the Help section to see a list of popular articles. If that fails, the community here is very friendly, as you've already seen! :D Always feel free to ask for help if you need it!

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello ^-^

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus