Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Facebook Like

Kim Site Admin

Wait, sorry, to keep up with what? Being active here? You are so totally active here. :)

And I absolutely believe that book exists! I have a request in to the library for that and related books. Have you done any work with Facebook apps before? Their help says they're mostly PHP and javascript which are my "native" languages, but I have yet to get a handle on their API.
Jetticus Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Wait, sorry, to keep up with what? Being active here? You are so totally active here. :)

And I absolutely believe that book exists! I have a request in to the library for that and related books. Have you done any work with Facebook apps before? Their help says they're mostly PHP and javascript which are my "native" languages, but I have yet to get a handle on their API.

I've been trying to keep up with your Facebook Widget post.

As far as javascript goes, I've been getting some of it, though I am lost to it all the same... youtube.com/thenewboston has some stuff on it, once I get Java itself mastered I will move onto javascript. Now then, I have a video, thought I haven't gone through much of it... www.youtube.com/watch?v=roOYZKsN3Yg

let me know if that helps at all.
Kim Site Admin

OH right, the fan page. It's non-critical. The facebook stuff is all extras and stuff about what I'm working on right now for people who want to follow development. You won't really be left out if you miss stuff. :)

Thank you for the tutorial video! I will watch the heck out of that.
Jetticus Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
OH right, the fan page. It's non-critical. The facebook stuff is all extras and stuff about what I'm working on right now for people who want to follow development. You won't really be left out if you miss stuff. :)

Thank you for the tutorial video! I will watch the heck out of that.

I'll be a little ways behind you, but I will get up to speed in the coming years so that I can offer more sound advice, though I can't be certain I will ever be as good at programming as you are Kim.
Kim Site Admin

To be honest, I am fairly green by programming standards myself! I bet you can catch up, and what you've been able to tell me so far has been massively appreciated. A gal can only learn so much so fast. I've pretty much been studying PHP & javascript for 2.5 years. Though I've been working with HTML and CSS and the evolution of web standards for about as long as there's been a web, markup is much easier to master than a full on language.

The RPR was started with very rudimentary knowledge and has been revised repeatedly as I learned more, got better at security, etc. I'm sure I'll end up revising it again many more times, but I'm told by older developers that that's a process that never ever ends. ;) I do know that the RPR has presented me with a series of unique and increasing challenges I would never have thought to give myself, given me the passion to keep banging my head against problems no matter how hard they are, and having the feedback of all the users has sharpened my skills dramatically. The number of times I've been at work and someone has asked, "Is it possible to program X?" and I've perked up and gone, "Oh, I just made one of those last week for... something else!" is getting to be pretty silly. And awesome.

So yeah, I totally recommend just picking something you know that you will love, even if it is way over your head when you first go in, and just fight to get it right until your skills catch up with your ambition. You'll get there much faster if you love love love it.

Teaching computers to be smart and helpful FTW!
Jetticus Topic Starter

Yeah, I just haven't found that thing I really want to program yet... I mean I want to program the RPR app for Android and iPhone, but that's a millennium from my current position.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Facebook Like

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus