Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » World of Darkness

TheLily

So, I'm just curious about people's preference for WoD. This is of course where it gets complicated. There are so many ways this question can be taken.

Do you like New or Old? Why? - I Personally have never played old, only new. This is partly due to the fact that I've only in the last three years discovered table top roleplaying. I'd done a little bit of D&D before, but not until now have I really explored it. This means that despite the fact that I hear Old is much better, I've never gotten a hold of any of the books.

Which game within WoD do you like best? - I like just plain ol' WoD. I like human characters who I can mess about it. I do also own Geist, Vampire and my husband has Mage and Werewolf. This being said, I also have a bunch of other books - Shadows of Mexico, Mysterious Places, Asylum and Second Sight, with plans for more. I've used some of the Changling stuff and I loved it. I also want to take a look at Prometheus.

Table top or LARP? - Now, I'm a LARP'er more than table top, but I've never been in Mind's Eye Theatre stuff. I would really to!

One of the main reasons I like WoD so much, is that I can play with my group of friends with basically no dice rolling - which means I don't have to learn a bajillion rules and memorize them. I still have no clue how to level up my Druid in D&D and we've been playing for over a year.

I've never played in a WoD game either, I run them. I've run two so far, and have three more ready to go at a moment's notice. I love running and playing a "constant" NPC, since then I get to roleplay, but I'm also in charge.

So, What do you like in World of Darkness?
Yuka

I'm on the fence here. I love WoD, but I've never actually played it. I've used it as a source of reference material for several of my characters in the past. I prefer the older games, although Geist: Sin Eater was always interesting.
For me, I've always kinda liked the new world more than the old.

I know, many of the old world players are sharpening their pitchforks at that statement. But I have justification, having owned and read over both.

But for me, I'm more a mechanics guy. I judge a game more on the fluidity of it's mechanics before the quality of it's lore content. And Old World of darkness was almost a 100% Fluff over Crunch. Their are so many books that are just so niche` that you can only many use of them with a few other similar books. Because they made Mechanics fit Lore content.

But I understand where the old Worlders are coming from. Having been exposed constantly to this rich and detailed content, it must be jarring to have the new world books appear on the surface to be so bland. But really, they just prioritized better mechanics over lore. So all the books work together better, and fit together better for a more varied chronicle.
Classic WoD :D can I stress just how much I love this thread :D <3 I'm a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade, I have 4 vampire characters based from the clans provided by WoD :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

My character Arthur was created way back when they released VTM: Redemption. The singleplayer storyline didn't interest me much but I played the online multiplayer for about a year. Took the character from one adventure to another but in the Dark Ages and Modern time periods.

I miss playing that game :(
I prefer the old WoD. So glad that the new Vampire: the Masquerade mmo's going to be based off of that. I grew up on the other version, and like the setting better.
TheLily Topic Starter

I knew what CactusBat was gunna say, since I've heard him say he prefers New, but it's interesting to hear why.

I personally like WoD because the group I used to run with didn't need lots of rules or dice rolling. I often rolled in place of a character coin flip - do I chose left or right? I find WoD to be a game where you can have loads of dice, if you want, or you can have none. It got to the point where I was the only one who would have dice at a game because I love using "Why?" "What?" "How?".

"Why" is of course, "Why do you want to do this action?" "Why would you know this?", why is my most important word in a game sometimes. The "why" can sometimes be the most important and the most interesting.

"What" is "what are you doing?" usually. Explaining what you can do is so important. Stats are important with this, but if you can explain that you know things based on an established history. I love that. Flavor is a good way of getting me to agree to something.

"How" is my favorite. I want to know how you're about to sweet talk the woman behind the desk. I want to know how you're going to pick out the right book.

So... I like playing with no rules, in a good rule set. Dice are great, but if you can play a game without a dice roll, players and ST's both win. :)
All very good points :)
TheLily wrote:
So... I like playing with no rules, in a good rule set. Dice are great, but if you can play a game without a dice roll, players and ST's both win. :)

And this *points to quote box* I`m in full agreeance with!
Being a VTM person, and one of the people in Avalon who helped with VTM lore, I have to say I have a preference for Old WoD. Mainly VTM. I learned it first and the changes kinda shook me between VTM and VTR, it in a way poisoned New WoD for me, blood potency was a somewhat good change, though the total overhaul of most of the clans was a bit extreme. So I like Old WoD for VTM, I never really learned any of the other games.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » World of Darkness

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus