Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » So I dropped my DS Lite by accident..

So while heading to the fridge to put a burger up, my poor 3yr old or so pink DS Lite decided to fall from my hand onto the hard kitchen floor. With a loud thud, the right hinge finallly gave way and broke, leaving the top screen attached only by the left hinge thing. The AR case I had in it [used for fast leveling/quick hatching] got crooked. Freaking out, seeing as this DS Lite is battered and bruised already enough, I turn it on, fearing that it's dead and gone. WELL to my amazement it still works! Sure, the whole top screen is terribly loose, and can be lifted a bit off the bottom now...But it lives, somehow. And seeing how today is Friday the 13th, I'd thought I'd share this tidbit for those who wonder just how my day after school went upon getting home. XD
Minerva

and here i was ready to give info on how to mend it. Be careful. each exposed wire of flipping it open and shut, while currently manageable, on an exposed system risks fraying the cords. Handle it like a newborn henceforth. If you can safely keep it open, i advise so. Like, on a desk where no pet can knock it down.
Minerva

kyra45 wrote:
So while heading to the fridge to put a burger up, my poor 3yr old or so pink DS Lite decided to fall from my hand onto the hard kitchen floor. With a loud thud, the right hinge finallly gave way and broke, leaving the top screen attached only by the left hinge thing. The AR case I had in it [used for fast leveling/quick hatching] got crooked. Freaking out, seeing as this DS Lite is battered and bruised already enough, I turn it on, fearing that it's dead and gone. WELL to my amazement it still works! Sure, the whole top screen is terribly loose, and can be lifted a bit off the bottom now...But it lives, somehow. And seeing how today is Friday the 13th, I'd thought I'd share this tidbit for those who wonder just how my day after school went upon getting home. XD
also your local (big chain i am not allowed to say by name, figure it out) can take it with a refurb fee. Call, and say what you want to trade in once every few weeks. Bonus deals rotate in but outside of corporate we cant --
Minerva

Tell when. You could get like 75$ credit on the right fay towards a preowned 3ds for only 149$ if they dont have it in stock, save it on a card and ask them to order it for you. Your old ds games will work, just not gba.
Claine Moderator

My DS is in the exact same condition, and the funny thing is that I don't know how it came to be that way. I was on a holiday with my friend and I was playing in the Hotel room before going to bed. Then, I plugged it into the wall to charge overnight. When I woke up the next morning, I pulled it out to find the hinge had been broken. The screen doesn't stay in place now, and flops around freely. You have to hold it in place when you play a game, but otherwise it works perfectly.

I hate to point the finger at my friend, but I wonder if she dropped it while I was in the shower. It was fine when I went to bed the night before, and I can't think of anything else that would put it in that kind of condition overnight.
It never ceases to amaze me to hear the stories of nintendo product durability. Especially them real old big blocky game boys when they first came out. I swear you could have probally shot one of them things and it still work.
Kyra45 Topic Starter

yea, it's been through a good beating throughout the years. mom won't let me buy a new DS Lite, even though mines nearing its day of being retired. i do own a 3DS[thats what i'm typing from. XD] which i got back in thanksgiving. the DS Lite is still working, just having to hold the back a bit to keep it steady. i'm just a bit scared to use it since it's top screen is loose. thanks for the advice, though.
Minerva

If you aren't gonna use it much anymore i might suggest selling it to gamestop. they put a refurbish fee on it, ship it off and someone eventually buys it. You could get like 20-30 bucks for it depending on deals at the time. Better than just being a paperweight.
Kyra45 Topic Starter

i highly doubt my mom would let me do that, seeing as my DS Lite was bought for me during christmas. it's sound odesn't work, due to my brother having to had poured water on it one day. i've took better care of my ds than he has since we bought him one for himself. his is all sticky and such[bros 5yrs old], mines still shiny and clean, just loose and soundless. XD
This reminds me of how I use to beat the living crap out of my old Sega Genesis when I was really young and didn't quiiite understand the concept of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Thing still works 15 years later, too. My first few Xbox 360s had to be tinkered around on daily to work :I.

Kyra, if you know anyone who is really into handheld stuff - like Gameboys, DS/DSi/Lites, and all that - they could probably help you. If not, I'd just use electrical tape to get it from 'OH MAH GAWRD' to 'This could work :).'
Minerva

My DS lite got fried by my daughter dumping juice all over it. It's light flashed on and off, frying out, but you couldn't actually... turn it on or off. All you could do was hopelessly listen as the battery fried because we didn't have any of those stupid tiny screwdrivers on hand. :(

I dunno if they can take it with broken audio. Usually the rule is "it has to turn on and open a game and run for a few solid minutes". But I guess if you can't, you can't. No harm ever asking, though.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » So I dropped my DS Lite by accident..

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus