Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Newbie to RPR

Hello everyone! I am new here. I am Bell, a text-based role player. I have been rping on and off for the past three years when I had first come across it on a dinky social media site. At this time, I am only a semi-literate rper, only able to write about 2-3 paragraphs per post. I will usually write in third person past tense from the perspective of my character(s). I do not condone the use of asterisks, and write using quotations for speech. I enjoy being able to retain my rp once completed or paused to be reread, and this way allows it to be read much like that of a printed novel.

With practice and rping with other people, I hope to be able to increase my posts, narrative writing, and overall increase my activity in a roleplaying community. I have a large fear of tabletop rpgs, having never played one before and the whole stats thingy giving me a headache.

I am hoping to find a rp mentor here on this site as well as some dependable rping partners and/or groups. For the most part, I enjoy action and fighting rps, but I love all different kinds, and am open to most anything. I feel a spike of adrenaline when I am able to play with a partner who is able to trust me, so that we might be able to trust each other, when it comes to rping and making choices about the rp, being able to cretique one another and flick each other's noses when we try to godmod.

I will going to college in the fall to study fishieries, but I have a whole summer stretched before me. I believe rp will be able to fill the empty void of summer.

I look forward to roleplaying with you!
I see what you mean by the whole "using asterisks as actions" thing; it's always nice to go back and read things like a novel. I like you already! I'm Lotus, but call me Light! Welcome to RPR. It's sweet to meet you!

If you need anything at all, you can ask anyone here or take a look at our Help Section for advice and tips! Hope to see you around the site sometime!
Welcome Bell! :D
Hey Bell, I'm Bonebag, one of the faces you'll see on a regular basis in the off topic section :D.

You picked a good site to try and hone your skills on: rpr has a large and active community dedicated to just what you're looking for. We have role players of all skill levels looking to better themselves, regardless of whether they view rping as an art form or a stress reliever. I've been here for about 5 1/2 years, and everyone I've been in contact with has been warm and kind.

When I started role playing - about 11 or 12 years ago way back in dinosaur times ;) - I used asterisks for actions and no real quotations for text; however I've transitioned away from that, as using italics and actual punctuation feels 'superior' somehow.

Anyway, I normally lurk around the Just Talking chat thread in the small talk section at any hour of the day/night, so stop on by if you want to make some new friends!
Sanne Moderator

Hi Bell! How nice of you to join us. :D

Going by your description, I think you're easily considered a very literate player. We have relaxed standards here, our main focus is to have fun and enjoying the stories we write - in whatever format that is. :) The only thing you need to do is your best. ;) There are definitely people who enjoy writing lots from a specific perspective (third person is the most common), but please don't feel obligated to meet those criteria in order to be accepted!

Feel free to use our Find RP tool, or to just browse the Looking for RP forum. :) There are lots of people looking all the time. I'm excited to see your character profiles when they're more fleshed out, too!

Also, study fisheries? That sounds interesting but I've no idea what to picture for that! Would you like to share a bit more about what it entails?
HibariHaru

Hello there, Bell, and welcome to RPR. It is very nice to meet you and do please enjoy your stay.
Everyone's friendly, and if you ever have questions, don't be shy to ask.
c2b403d1d859305391c9d38296549756d6761b57_hq.gif
Beware of Bones. He is a carrier of the rare disease "Rocketpoopitis". Also, hulloooo.
Bell Topic Starter

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome! :D

Sanne wrote:
Also, study fisheries? That sounds interesting but I've no idea what to picture for that! Would you like to share a bit more about what it entails?

I'm interested in Aquaculture and Fishieries Management mostly because it's an easier major than Oceanography, which is study and regulations of fishing and fish farming for human consumption. Basically, I've doomed myself to a lifetime of going to bed smelling like fish.
Welcome to RPR! I hope you're enjoying the site so far :)
Welcome to rpr, hope you like it here!
Kim Site Admin

Welcome to the site! Your post length sounds quite respectable, though I don't personally ascribe to the theory that longer is always better. :)

RP sounds like a fantastic way to spend a summer to me, for sure. How are you enjoying the site so far?
Bell Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Welcome to the site! Your post length sounds quite respectable, though I don't personally ascribe to the theory that longer is always better. :)

RP sounds like a fantastic way to spend a summer to me, for sure. How are you enjoying the site so far?

I have not had much time to explore yet, but I've been poking around and working on getting a few of my past OCs up. I love the idea of RPR and the site's design is nice. It's slightly confusing to navigate at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I am slightly intimidated by the thought of approaching other people to start rps, but I am working up my courage to message a few people. Let's see how this goes. :D

EDIT: Villains are scary to talk to. D:
Hello! Welcome to RPR! Everyone is very friendly here, so feel free to just ask someone if you need any help or tips!
Welcome to RPR! Hope you like it here!

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Newbie to RPR

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus