Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » The King's Tournament Faire (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Adelbard Laudessagne (played anonymously)

We set up a group for this RP! If you're interested, check it out here!

The sky was bright as blue topaz with not a wisp of cloud in sight, and the balmy winds of late spring swept across the countryside. Banners bearing the sigils of three dozen different houses--or perhaps even more--fluttered high above the field, their myriad colors forming a rainbow against the brilliant blue sky.

The silhouette of Castle Dierlan sat on a high knoll, its fortified walls and spires crafted of well-kept grey stone, though ivy had begun to climb up the southern side. A winding road climbed through the village of Willamswood to reach its gate. Around the town were pastures and a patchwork of farmland, the fields separated by hedgerows, streams, and low drystone walls.

But the reason people were flocking here was not Willamswood nor even Castle Dierlan--the time had come for the King's Tournament Faire, held every year on his birthday. The weeklong celebration was host to games, merchants from all locales, fine food and drink, and, of course, the competitions. Fame, riches, and glory would go to the victors, and it was rumored that the king was even going to offer his daughter's hand as a prize.

But the merrymakers must beware. With so many people of high standing gathered here, there's always aught that could go wrong ...

Hi, thanks for looking at my RP prompt! This is a low fantasy RP that I'd like to get a large group for. Your character is, in some way, shape, or form, attending the King's Tournament Faire, which is held every year to celebrate the king's birthday. It attracts people from all across the land ... which might include some not-so-savory types.

You're welcome to make a character specifically for it, or adapt one to fit. I'd be thrilled to help you either way. Any character that fits in a Game of Thrones type setting would work for this.

I will be playing this character, Lordsir Adelbard Laudessagne of Upper Sueldey, second son of Lord Nolarth Laudessagne and wielder of the sword Toulentieu. He will be participating in the joust and the swordsmanship competition and is representing his house. His brother Gauson is also in attendance, as are a few of their vassal knights, Sir Gellert Grimslay and Sir Roland Michelage, who are both also competing. I will also be playing the villain, if/when he or she makes his or her entrance. 8) You are welcome to play side characters as well, since there are a lot of people ICly here!

Current cast:
PCs
  • Garrold, the ruler of Castle Dierlen. It is his birthday celebration. Garrold is an accomplished swordsman and earned fame by questing before he inherited his title.
  • Scirye, Garrold's daughter. She has just reached marriageable age and there's a rumor Garrold will be offering her hand to the winner of the joust.
  • Genevieve, the royal fletcher. She is helping to oversee the archery tourney. A noblewoman from a lesser house.
  • Adelbard, a Beauvraldi knight and competitor in the tourney. An honorable man known to be an eligible bachelor.
  • Klaus, a scruffy hedge knight from a distant province. He looks quite shabby for a knight.

Character ideas:
  • knights competing to earn fame for their houses, etc.
  • other wanting to earn fame or fortune in the contests
  • people to watch and/or enjoy the celebration
  • the king hosting the event
  • the king's daughter, who perhaps is of marriageable age
  • other people in the king's household who might be in attendance--a queen, a herald, a court bard, etc.
  • knights from rival houses--details can be worked out!
  • potential love interests for Adelbard ... what can I say, I'm a sucker :)
  • troublemakers--vagabonds or bandits looking to disrupt the festivities (please clear this with me first, as it's an antagonistic role and needs to be handled carefully)

Some general guidelines for the setting:
  • Remember that peasants won't be rubbing elbows with the nobility ... at the beginning, at least. If/when things go wrong, well, who knows what will happen then. >:)
  • Only knights are allowed to joust, while anyone is allowed to sign up for the swordfighting and archery contests.
  • Magic of any kind is forbidden in the competitions, though your character may choose to break the law and cheat--just don't get caught!
  • The setting is generic medieval European low fantasy, a la Game of Thrones, etc. Magic is uncommon and regarded with suspicion, lady knights and soldiers are uncommon but not unheard of, people adhere pretty strictly to religion, and people aren't exactly progressive when it comes to LGBT issues.

The fighting in the tournament itself will be handled largely with dice rolls. I have no desire to deal with people arguing about whose character is "the best" swordsman or anything like that, because everyone's gonna wanna say that. :) However if you wish to take a self-imposed penalty because your character is less skilled, that is amazing and you're a beautiful, wonderful person.

Questions? Concerns? Post here or PM me!
Magic 30%
Some magic. Few can use it, but most of the players probably won't have it. Magical characters will likely believe that they are all alone.
Technology 30%
Renaissance
Combat 60%
Combat is woven into the storyline and could come to the forefront if the characters seek it out.

Details: Occasional dice use, adjustable length posts, long-term RP partner preferred.

Chenelle Isla (played by Guardian_Girl)

This seems interesting. Do you think this character (with a couple changes) would work as the king's daughter?
Adelbard Laudessagne (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Scirye wrote:
This seems interesting. Do you think this character (with a couple changes) would work as the king's daughter?

How many changes are we talking about? The princess wouldn't be a goddess or an army general :) She could be interested in warfare but the king would likely try to encourage her to pursue more ladylike endeavors. Since she is of very high standing she wouldn't be permitted to, say, run around and fight with the soldiers or anything like that, though it's possible she could have been taught fencing. Feel free to pm me and we can work out the details 8)

OK, Scirye will be playing the princess! Still looking for plenty of others! :)
I'm down! Just what role would you recommend for him?
*crosses fingers and hopes it's king since him and the princess have similar-colored attires*

Hello! It's hard to say, since you don't have much information up about Garrold. :) Please tell me more about him, either here or in a PM!

Also, Scirye is playing a modified version of her character, so assumably she will be a little younger than 22 (which is the age listed on her page). So if Garrold is king, he would need to be aged up a bit, probably to be in his early or mid 30s. He also could be a noble or knight from another province if you wanted to keep him at his current age.
I'm interested! Would Genevieve here work for anything?
I'm happy to make changes as necessary. She's a fletcher (arrow-maker) by default, but perhaps she would be better suited as a spectator or messenger for the king in this setting. :)

Genevieve Smith wrote:
I'm happy to make changes as necessary. She's a fletcher (arrow-maker) by default, but perhaps she would be better suited as a spectator or messenger for the king in this setting. :)

Ooh! We absolutely can make her work. She could be the fletcher providing the arrows for the archery competition, working alongside a bowyer, and/or even be the king's official fletcher (because fletchery would be a really important trade, especially if she also can make crossbow bolts or other things). She would, of course, be a spectator too! And, if you wanted her to be able to interact with the highborn characters more easily/naturally, you could say that she's a lady from a lesser noble house. Like the second daughter of a cousin or something, so there's less pressure on her to wed and have a more "normal" highborn noblewoman's life. In this case she might even live within the walls of Castle Dierlen in the king's court, though her standing wouldn't be particularly high.

How does that sound? 8)

Wanna know what I think? I think we're in the presence of a genius.
Klaus (played anonymously)

Could I use Klaus for this?

My idea for Klaus' story in this is tremendously different than the one on his character page, so maybe we can discuss the details in PM?

Scirye wrote:
Wanna know what I think? I think we're in the presence of a genius.
Aww shucks :D
Klaus wrote:
Could I use Klaus for this?

My idea for Klaus' story in this is tremendously different than the one on his character page, so maybe we can discuss the details in PM?
Just shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can work out :)
Adelbard wrote:
Genevieve Smith wrote:

Ooh! We absolutely can make her work. She could be the fletcher providing the arrows for the archery competition, working alongside a bowyer, and/or even be the king's official fletcher (because fletchery would be a really important trade, especially if she also can make crossbow bolts or other things). She would, of course, be a spectator too! And, if you wanted her to be able to interact with the highborn characters more easily/naturally, you could say that she's a lady from a lesser noble house. Like the second daughter of a cousin or something, so there's less pressure on her to wed and have a more "normal" highborn noblewoman's life. In this case she might even live within the walls of Castle Dierlen in the king's court, though her standing wouldn't be particularly high.

How does that sound? 8)

Wow. Very good, actually. :D
I'll add some family information to her profile as soon as I can. Thank you ever so much, I'm glad she fits in fairly well!

Genevieve Smith wrote:
Adelbard wrote:
Genevieve Smith wrote:

How does that sound? 8)

Wow. Very good, actually. :D
I'll add some family information to her profile as soon as I can. Thank you ever so much, I'm glad she fits in fairly well!

She'll be great! :D

Ok, we have 5 players so far, including me. I would prefer that we find another knight/warrior or two to round things out for the tournament(s), so I'm going to wait a little while longer to see if anyone else bites. If any of you have friends who might be interested, please do show them the thread. 8)
Well I might be willing to loan a mercenary or warrior of mine, if you're interested Adelbard. I would probably recommend Synthia but I could also use Hazel or an adapted Mynil (Assuming drow don't exist. ;) ). Alternatively, if you want a mage, I have a mage and if you want a noble, I can use Gwen. I also have a dragon that I rarely use. <.< She could, crash the party, or be on display as an "exotic pet". Heck, I'd be willing to play more than one character if you needed it.

Adelbard wrote:
Ok, we have 5 players so far, including me. I would prefer that we find another knight/warrior or two to round things out for the tournament(s), so I'm going to wait a little while longer to see if anyone else bites. If any of you have friends who might be interested, please do show them the thread. 8)

I got us ze king and Klaus :D

lyingsmile15 wrote:
Well I might be willing to loan a mercenary or warrior of mine, if you're interested Adelbard. I would probably recommend Synthia but I could also use Hazel or an adapted Mynil (Assuming drow don't exist. ;) ). Alternatively, if you want a mage, I have a mage and if you want a noble, I can use Gwen. I also have a dragon that I rarely use. <.< She could, crash the party, or be on display as an "exotic pet". Heck, I'd be willing to play more than one character if you needed it.

Hey again! ^_^ Your chars look great. I'm on mobile so I can't scour their profiles just yet. If Synthia is an actual titled knight she could compete in the joust, otherwise she can join one of the other two tourneys, or both. You're welcome to play several chars--whatever you feel would be fun for ya :) And i miiight need to take a look at that dragon. We'll see >:)

(And thanks Scirye!! :D)
I've never really written her profile to be a titled knight, but I could use an adapted version of her that is a knight if you want. It really depends.
There is not a ton on my dragon's profile, but I can always adapt her to better fit.

lyingsmile15 wrote:
I've never really written her profile to be a titled knight, but I could use an adapted version of her that is a knight if you want. It really depends.
There is not a ton on my dragon's profile, but I can always adapt her to better fit.

I'm fine with however you'd like to play her :) If she is titled and competes in the joust, she wouldn't be eligible for Scirye's hand in marriage, but she could still win the fame and glory--and the winner's purse of course. I would like to have as many PCs in each competition as possible just to make things interesting! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss any further details.

Either way, I'll probably make a starting post tonight. It will be the evening before the first day of the contests during a big feast to kick off celebrations, and everyone is invited.
If you want, I can make a character to compete and I have a perfect character to be a spectator.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » The King's Tournament Faire (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus