Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Running a Pokemon game, would like some ideas

PIASC

Hi everyone,

I'm part of a weekly gaming group, and have taken up the challenge of GMing a campaign for Pokemon Tabletop United. I have an outline for the new region, main adversaries and overarching plot, but I want to flesh things out with some minor encounters and NPCs. I invite you to take a look through what I've got, and please suggest anything that comes to mind. :D

Core Details
Pokemon Ultraviolet will take place in the Shendou region, which is largely inspired by modern Hong Kong and southeast China. High tech bustling business mingles with old-world mysticism and tradition. The players will meet the excitable Professor Cassia in the region's capital, Yanhuo City.

Primary Storyline
Yanhuo is something of a global trade hub, with trans-regional industry converging at its electrified heart. This modernized existence has given rise to a new generation of crime syndicates. Of these gangs, the most unpredictable is surely the anarchic Team Glitch. Recent reports have linked them to the illegal hacking and abduction of Silph Co.'s famous Porygon program.

Through this mined data, Glitch's leader infuses his personal Rotom with digital power. Chaos ensues when Yanhuo's computer network is fried by the new Ghost/Normal Pokemon, Rotom: Code!

But when the servers of an experimental Pokelab are caught in the attack, the anarchist group gets more trouble than they bargained for. A captive legendary is unleashed on Shendou, and its would-be master, Giovanni, will stop at nothing to get it back under his control. To save Shendou from destruction, the players may have to align themselves with the notorious Team Rocket.

Halp?

So that's my story-skeleton. If you were a player in the Pokeventure, what encounters or events would you like to see? Any thoughts for characters (original or otherwise) to meet along the way? Thanks for reading!
One of the most important interactions in any Pokemon game is with one's Rival character. Rivalries have been unique in every game and serves as part of the game's tone and overall identity.

Also, it's paramount that each gym leader be a memorable event every time you meet them, whether in the gym or otherwise. They can be over-the-top like Crasher Wake or Lt. Surge, or simmering and subtle like Kouga or Sabrina. Their personalities have to be clear and memorable at a glance. A great example is my first encounter with Whitney from Pokemon Silver. I'll never forget the time when I had to wait for her to stop crying over her defeat before I could get my badge. That is a event. (All of this applies to the Elite 4 too)

Next to that, there needs to be something other than just battling for the Pokemon to be good for. Some games had Contest Spectaculars, and the Black and White 2 games had that movie studio thing. If you want a really whole Pokemon experience, you'll have something non-combative for trainers to participate in. Maybe you could base it on some part of Chinese culture, modern or traditional.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Let me know if you have more questions.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Running a Pokemon game, would like some ideas

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus