Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Craft help

TheLily

So, I'm a LARP'er, incase you didn't know that.

What's happeneing is I'm joining in on a Carnival World of Darkness game. I submitted my concept today - a broadback beast Changeling. I'm planning on being the bearded lady, so I am actually building my character around that, instead of using that as the last step.

This comes in handy, since I'm able to say to myself - what animals have beards. Goats have beards. I like goats. They're a broadback animal. What I need now is to 1. decide on hair colour, since I'm tired of being blonde. I am going with either black or dark brown so keep the headband in check.

What headband? The one that will hold the ears and horns.

Oh. That headband.

This is where my plea for help comes in. I am unsure of the best way to make goat ears and horns. I was thinking of maybe just getting pointed ears so I could us my real ears and then just add horns. What do you crafty people think?

Putting the ear tips on might be harder in some ways because I'd have to buy the tips, but I also have short hair that doesn't hide my real hears - I could also solve that by putting the false ears in the way.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
The horns should be pretty easy--although I'm not sure how 'realistic' you want to get with it. You could use felt and stuffing to make the horns. As for the ears...you could try the tip thing and see if that works. Or maybe make longer felt ears that would hang over/mask your real ears. After all, goat ears are more on the sides of their head, like ours.

If you want to use household items (i did a google search for goat horns) you could attempt to use either papertowel rolls or toilet paper tubes and try to uncoil and re-coil them into the proper shape. You could use electrical tape or paint them to get the right color... just an idea.

You should post a picture when you have it all pulled together. xD I'm intrigued.
Minerva

curly horns make me think ram. Female horns make me think of the nubs that come out the front. carve candles and strap them on velcro maybe? I dunno, Loki makes costumes and I could ask dugfinn. Actually i'll go do that.
Kim Site Admin

I used to have a variety of pretty goat horns in my wardrobe that I had crafted out of sculpy. Actually, I probably still have some, they're just frowned on in business meetings.

So long as you aren't using HUGE ram horns but instead something more delicate, sculpy horns are lightweight and durable. Poke a toothpick through the base before you bake them, then when they come out of the oven string thick, clear fishing wire through them and they can be tied on almost invisibly so they look like they are really and truly your horns. You can make some very realistic horns this way, or very strange/fancy/delicate/fantastical fae horns as you please. :)
Minerva

nice, Kim! Also everyone needs to google dugfinn's cosplay. :o I wish Lucas hadn't effed up their relationship. Having her over was cool. She's too far to bother without him. :( maybe when I move back to houston that will change.
TheLily Topic Starter

Kim, you're a genius.
Minerva

another option courtesy the cosplay queen: http://anniina85.deviantart.com/art/Vriska-horns-tutorial-252837871 hope i texted that right.
TheLily Topic Starter

vxhz55.jpg Put 'em on a headband. Tried clips but kept breaking them off and I didn't make the holes in them big enough to put my needles through.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Craft help

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus