Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Elder Scrolls MMORPG

Minerva

You heard me. It's real, it's coming, and it's available for preorder tomorrow. Yessss.
Yeah, and most of me says there just going to ruin a great game series with this attempt. A fraction hopes they don't but I don't hold high regards for that. Just my opinion.
Being skeptical here, but I'm still going to buy the game, no matter what. A chance to cross the entirety of Tamriel? YES PLEASE.
Minerva Topic Starter

I don't see it as ruining a great series, the only potential problem i see is it being one massive bartering network. But there's no effing way bethesda can get away with leaving one of their usual glitch/bug monsters on an mmo, too many reports. I imagine we will see a more solidly coded piece this time. I cheered for skyrim a few years before it came out but knew it was gonna be a bugfiend. I see this as different.
I can see that as well with the bartering network. I see it alienating some fans of the game because of the new game being an MMO and those who do not have net to play it, or good enough internet to play it which leaves those people out of luck on playing it. Most of there games are glitchy to start out with and I don't really see them going to MMO as changing that at first.

Granted, I hope to be proven wrong on all accounts as I'm a major elder scrolls fan, but im not counting on it. Though likely I myself won't be able to play it because of the net issue, not good enough. I will make sure to follow it.

I'm curious on just how there going to work the Vieing for the the throne as well.
Minerva Topic Starter

I dunno, final fantasy got away with an mmo without alienating fans. The first one at least. the second was a travesty. I'd imagine they need tighter coding unless they want hacked out the wazoo.
An Elder Scrolls MMO... I don't know, guys. I'm not a big fan of MMOs in general, mainly because they all seem to be the same. And I say this from a place of experience! I've played Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest 2, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes... just to name a few. It just seems to boil down to a few basic premises: grind quests for more powerful items (and these quests are all the same for every person; seriously, how many bear hearts does one orc need?!), the endless search for more power for power's sake, and PvP. Oh, and of course the auction house.

To me, a truly different MMO would put the power in the players' hands. Let the players design quests. Let there be open PvP because that reflects a 'real world' ideal that makes character death actually mean something. Make the world evolve based on the players' actions. So somebody defeated Alikciewoicv the Great and Despised? Great! Get that toad off the server! Maybe that player becomes the new Lord of Darkness! Let player governments make a difference in how the game behaves!

Some of my favorite stories come from Eve Online scams. It shows how powerful and creative players can be while still obeying the letter of the law in the game. Playing an MMO is a huge investment of time, money, and (for some) creativity. Let that be the watchword of the game, not the addictive, achievement-oriented pap that clutters the shelves. WoW is the worst offender of all! There's no point to any of it! How do the level 80 players actually affect the world they inhabit? The answer is that they don't. They're doing the same things now as they did when they were level 1, but this time with more powerful monsters. It's pointless!

Elder Scrolls has always impressed me because of the openness of the game. Granted, MMOs give that openness, but not the freedom. I've depopulated villages in Elder Scrolls because some prick of a guard locked me in jail; I've robbed store owners blind; I've become the most heinous, feared criminal in all of Tamriel with dark powers at my disposal! Can I do that in an MMO? No. So I hope that Bethesda works hard to include the players in on this project. Don't try to be a WoW clone. Don't try to be a WoW replacement. Give us something we've NEVER seen before!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Elder Scrolls MMORPG

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus