Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Who's Online

I've seen this functionality in other forum websites. It's a widget that lets you see who's currently logged in. I'd love to see it implemented here because of the convenience the widget offers. Just think, when you go to the chat room, you don't have to wonder if anyone's online to chat with, you'd just see who was online!
Minerva

i asked kim about this before. I think she said she intends it eventually but its a hassle at the moment. she coded this ground up and that capability would be challenging. I'm hoping to see it soon too.
Frangod wrote:
Just think, when you go to the chat room, you don't have to wonder if anyone's online to chat with, you'd just see who was online!

In a chatroom, you can see who is in that chatroom at the bottom, beneath the 'send' button. Give it a couple moments after you get into the chatroom, and it will say 'so-and-so-many people in chat'. But I do like the idea of a general 'who is online' thing. But I can see how that would be very difficult. I can live with or without it :)
Kim Site Admin

You can already see if there are other people there with you. It takes about 5 seconds, but every chat will tell you how many people are also present in the same topic, and that number updates every subsequent 5 seconds so it's pretty up to date.

If what you meant was a list of names rather than just a number, then the answer is no, never.

It would be easy and fast to make it happen. The reason why not is privacy. We have the ability to create and play with anonymously played characters -- something that becomes entirely moot if everyone can see your name.

I know it would be fun to see names, but in this case privacy is the most important consideration.
Sanne Moderator

There could be a way to toggle visibility for users, but it does pose a great issue with anonymous chars.. Too many people will forget they toggled it or they may not realize how it works with anonymous chars. :(

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Who's Online

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus