Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » RP Music

TheLily

I'm sure this has been done here before, but I'm too lazy to look around.

So, do y'all have play lists? Songs that make you think of certain characters? Songs for other people's characters. Songs for specific encounters you've had? I have a whole slew, but I'll let someone else go first while I pick out one or two to use XD
i have Pandora stations that are usually for those tense scenes in roleplays or those scenes where something bad has happpened. or ones that imaginary'll play in the background. the music is random though. but the main ones i use for RPs is my Silent Hill radio,Darkloore Mansion radio, and Final Fantsy radio. as for characters though, i have yet to think of songs tht fit my characters. >.>
Haha, I have too many to list out. I have tons of songs that make me think of my own character, or other people's characters. My character Gabriel actually has his own theme song, composed by Minerva's husband Maximus. You can listen to it Here! It's called Stained Glass Heart :)

Heck I even have songs that become important to the characters in game! I'm a big music junkie so I'm always listening to new songs! Oddly enough, I can't listen to music when I role play though, because I get too distracted listening! XD
Minerva

My playlists vary upon a few factors:

1) Obviously, whatever character I’m playing
2) Current plot arc/movement
3) Current character mood, which is usually affected by #2.
In a sub-statement, a lot of my music is picked for instrumental progression beyond lyrics. I use a lot more instrumentals than lyrics, save for Dream Theater and Shin Megami Tensei. Certain characters resonate with certain instruments or note progressions that I choose them for in the playlist.

As to be expected, when I have custom theme songs for the character those are almost always on the playlist involved in playing them. “My Twilight” Will always be on my Luci playlist, and Eyes of Gold on Rumea’s, and Zenthus will always have his theme, his battle theme, and his lair’s theme on the list since they carry such a feel for him. But depending on events, Zenthus’ sons themes, like Mother and the Serpent, and Mystery Sword, might also bleed into Zenthus’ list and so on.

Then of course there are those things that affect mood and presentation. Usually I mix in a lot of Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy), and different choice tracks from Shin Megami Tensei’s games. A lot of Slayers music tends to suit my craving for fantasy tunes, as well. Not Slayers the band—Slayers the anime. I also tend to mix Dream Theater or Transatlantic in depending. Ash always did well to “Duel with the Devil” by transatlantic, for example. When he’s in a benevolent dominant state, though, I mix in, say… Lion by Rebecca Saint James, even if I know that’s technically a Christian song. Elsewise, “Scenes from a Memory” by Dream Theater is a perfect album for him. He does oddly well with electric guitar, large pipes like organs, and the continuum.

Luci does well with strings in a certain layout but can have other instruments. There’s a certain notation I really enjoy for him. It shows in Magus’ Theme from Chrono Trigger, in Jack’s theme from Pirates, and in The Dragon Boy from Spirited Away to name a few, since most people won’t recognize “Xelloss’ theme from Slayers”; you wouldn’t think those songs have something in common because the instruments are so different, but listen hard and you’ll hear the progression I’ve spoken of. It even shows through in My Twilight (at higher tempo) and Zenthus’ theme (slower tempo).

Rumea shines with heroic trumpets, so I enjoy the old Slayers movie music for her, as well as the custom work Derek’s done for her. Sometimes bells can compliment. In older years sad strings can work for her, but not en mass. Minerva is kinda a flipside to Rumea in all ways, and it shows in her chosen, quiet, humble music.

Rafe is good with trumpets of a different sort and certain electronic. His custom theme sounds like a mix of halo and metal gear solid, a lot of the latter of which shows up in his playlist too.

Auroch I tend to go with environmental or shamanic music.

Itachi uses surprisingly catchy, upbeat digital-sounding music for her personality, such as “Digi-Boy” from F-Zero. Ferous… often doesn’t use a lot of music, the quietness reigns supreme, although the playlist can vary greatly and at times Ferous plays extremely well to boyband music. I can’t explain it. It’s weird. I don’t even like boybands, but Ferous apparently does. I find this funny, since the characters have a lot of parallels—are both analytical, detached, cold and difficult to reach—and both play well to energetic music that makes a teenager bounce in their seat.

Rudianos/Santhis has his own songs like I’ve said, but also does well with brutal rock, hard metal, deathrap, and things of that sort. Surprise surprise. I had a disturbing amount of Dethklok music on his playlist, and even at one point made a lyrics montage from all their songs that described him to a tee, from being born in a firey volcano, to the deity of death, to tampering with the death site of odin and through and through. Think… Dethkloky music. In terms of particular sounds, Discordia is his sound, if I could say anything. You ever hear of those musics that change heart rates and give people heart attacks? That kind of music is Santhis music. This is… making me miss playing him. Odd, since I was so eager to retire him and get the evil monkey off my back. I miss the challenge, and making even “evil” characters skin crawl with Rudianos. Hm…

Shin Megami Tensei songs are general thinking tunes for me, though. As I type I’m listening to Persona 4’s opening tune. So stuff like that works really well for any of my modern characters.

“We are living our lives; abound with so much information
Come on, let go of the remote; don’t you know you’re letting all the junk flood in?
I try to stop the flow, double clicking on the go, but it’s no use; hey, I’m being consumed;
Loading loading loading, quickly reaching maximum capacity
Warning warning warning, gonna short-circuit my identity.
Get up on your feet, tear down the walls, catch a glimpse of the hollow world
Snooping ‘round will get you nowhere, you’re locked up in your mind
We’re all trapped in a maze of relationships,
Life goes on with or without you
I swim in the sea of the unconscious
I search for your heart
Pursuing my true self.”

For an example of the feel of the music. Their weird artsy japanarap really eats into my modern era playlists. It’s so energetic I can’t help but even put it on Luci’s playlist, for example. I could keep going but I don’t need to turn it into a Persona lyricsfest.

Unsurprisingly if I have one of Max's custom themes for someone I'm playing with, like Loki's Gabriel, that mixes in, too.
Oh man, My Twilight is one of my favorite songs Maximus did. Seriously, I have it on my ipod and people are always asking me what game it came from XD

And it totally sounds epic on my fancy car speakers <3

Sorry slightly off topic but seriously that song is badass XD

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » RP Music

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus