Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Spectral Seed

Seychelle Jenner (played anonymously)

As if on cue when Zahariel's yellow eyes met her own, another surge curiosity shot through her. Before she could explore the feeling sufficiently however she turned to considered Roemello as he spoke to the gnome. "Master..?" She had lost track of Roeme after their last adventure, and she was frankly surprised to find him here, working for a gnome. He must have his reasons, however, for she knew the man well enough to know he didn't waste his time with needless activities. It was strange, yet welcomed twist that had brought them back together. After sliding forward to rest a brief hand on his arm accompanied by the welcoming flash of a grin, Katlina turned back to the matter at hand.

""My name is Zahariel Portal'e...I am a warrior-priest from the world of Ulyria. I was once a man, but I was turned into Shade..." Ahh, and there it was, his name. She filed it away, happy to put the name to this mysterious figure. It seemed she would have interesting travel partners for this newest adventure. And really, she couldn't ask for anything better. The diversion would be welcome. She had yet to master her own thoughts and recollections, especially when alone, so company - no matter how diverse or unexpected, would be welcome. It was beside the point, that she knew so little of their incoming quest, but the thought did flicker through her mind and she raised an eyebrow to Zahariel - the warrior-priest (why did she like the sound of that? It had a nice ring to it.)

"Now that you have what you came for," she said, her voice soft with a hint of brogue, a lilt to the tongue, gesturing at the scroll in the shade's palm, "would care to offer some explanation of what - and more importantly why we want to collect this Spectral Seed?" As she awaited his answer, her gaze moved to the Arachniam woman, intrigued by the female as well. She welcomed the challenge of figuring out these new individuals, as well as reigniting her camaraderie with Roemello. For now, her own reasons for initially seeking out Fizz-Vodh, had been forgotten.
Zahariel Portal'e (played by Nai_Elyob) Topic Starter

"Master, I have done all you have asked and then some. I am grateful for you taking me in but think I have more than sedated my debt. I will forever be grateful but I feel my time has come to move on from your humble abode. What say you.... Master?"

Fizz-Vodh waved the dark-skinned man off, "Oh, Roeme, you're always so formal. I find it endearing, but unnecessary. Of course I release you."

"Now that you have what you came for, would care to offer some explanation of what - and more importantly why we want to collect this Spectral Seed?"

The gnome made a sort of coughing noise, like he was clearing his throat but you could easily tell he was annoyed by the lingering company. Zahariel resisted the urge bubbling up in his gut to laugh, and he bowed politely to the gnome. "We'll take our leave and give you some peace, Fizz-Vodh. A pleasure doing business with you," he said smoothly. As with Roemello, the gnome waved off the formality and muttered some reciprocation impatiently. Pivoting on his foot with the practiced grace of any soldier, the warrior-priest waved for the others to follow him outside. "Let us retire to somewhere private in which I can safely share the information. I saw one not far from here when I was...searching the city for this building. I believe they call it the Unicorn and the Walrus."

*** (OOC - presumptive skip so y'all have some real content to respond to. Gonna use my story-teller's prerogative like this from time to time to keep things moving)

Zahariel rented out the back room at the Unicorn and the Walrus so that everyone who followed him could have some guarantee of secrecy when he revealed the information Fizz-Vodh had sold him. The price of a vial of Shade's blood had been quite a generous offer, Zahariel realized. For all he knew, the gnome wizard - for he was clearly a spell-caster of some sort - could very well be used for twisted purposes. He knew the risks, though, and he also knew it was likely the only thing he really had which the gnome wanted. What else was he going to give him? Nocteras? Luceras? Xenethar's name? Shaking his head clear of the thoughts like small pixies, he took out the scroll

"I was put on the trail of the Garden of Origins by a trusted mentor. What I know is limited to whatever this scroll contains, so I'll just read it aloud to you all," he said:

The Garden of Origins resides in a between-realm near the center of the multiverse. Its age is a subject of scholarly debate, and only a few adventurers have ever visited the plane. Visitors rarely offer more than the fewest details regarding the place. All accounts concur that it is a place of overwhelming, transcendent beauty, and all make mention of two things: the Keeper, an apparently immortal being called Nathn'El, and something called the Spectral Seed.

Theories abound about the true nature of both. Nathn'El is described as an ethereal being of almost angelic beauty, but also a sort of mercurial temperament. Details on the Spectral Seed are almost non-existent. Some speculate it is an artifact, others that it is a power source, while the only thing agreed upon is that its very existence is integral to the existence of the Garden itself.

In order to reach the plane, you must first seek out the Pillars of Creation on the world of Nerthus. Travel to Nerthus is possible by way of the Valen Gates. Upon arrival, it will be necessary to secure passage across the dangerous desert of Undun which span for hundreds of leagues in either direction from the city of Syn'daria which hosts the Gate.

Looking up, and in a very matter-of-fact tone, Zahariel asked, "So...any questions?"
Used to dealing with elements more based in the physical realm, Roemello had too many questions to just choose one. So he decided to remain silent. Retracting the single fingernail talon he had been using to pick at his teeth, it shrunk back down it regular size. Using his shoulder blades Roemello pushed off the wall he was leaning on, his eye brushed over Katlina as he finally decided on a question. "So when do we head out...or do you think it would be best to get some R&R, stock up on rations before heading out."
Myra Aedynheim (played by Draken901)

As she left the Gnome's abode with the others, she felt like this meeting was rather strange. Where multiple things happened at once. And now she was soon going on a venture with few people she just met. She'll have to inquiry a bit later to get to know them better.

When they gone to the Unicorn and the Walrus, she was merely sitting in a chair nearby while Zahariel explained the situation, as well as telling about the info he gotten from Fizz-Vodh. She also spoke up. "So, if I may ask, do you know about what this spectral seed thing is supposed to do exactly? Any details on it besides those?"

For a long time Katlina remained silent after the scroll's reading, her face inscrutable. Inwardly however, her mind was working through the scattered bits of information which they'd just recieved.

The tidbit most curious to her, was of the immortal being Nathn'El. Some instinct told her that, if she were to find answers to the void within her, to the dreams which plagued her sleep... if she were to find the path leading to Triss, this being could be the key. It was at the very least a good place to start. A being like that must have the type of answers she sought. To have the chance to speak with this being, Katlina would do nearly anything.

"Sounds like we need to get to the Valen Gates." Katlina murmered finally, after the others had offered their questions. They both had had valid ones, and she was curious as to their answers.

"I don't believe there is anything besides food that I will need to stock up on before leaving. I am as ready as I will ever be." She had her knives already in their sheathes, a change of clothes, and a few other things within her small satchel. Besides, it was always a good idea to quickly skip town, or at least lay low after taking opportunites to divest people of their property - especially the nobles. If the vase she'd taken was of any consequence to its owner, there would soon be a bit of hue and cry, and Katlina didn't see the need to stick around for it.

She wondered, briefly, if it would seem odd to any of the others how quickly she had jumped on the bandwagon, but somehow doubted it, since the others had seemed just as eager. Which begged the question, what were their reasons for this quest?

Her gaze moved to Roeme for a brief moment, the flicker of a smile in her gaze at this opportunity for more adventure, before her gaze moved to Zahariel, awaiting his response, her smile still a shadow upon her lips.

"So when do we head out...or do you think it would be best to get some R&R, stock up on rations before heading out."

"I suppose the plan is to leave immediately. Rations won't travel through the Valen Gate, so we'll have to stock provisions on Nerthus," the Shade responded. He didn't need food or sleep, of course, but he imagined that his companions would. After Roeme had finished speaking, the Arachniam came next.

"So, if I may ask, do you know about what this spectral seed thing is supposed to do exactly? Any details on it besides those?"

Zahariel's right hand came up and ran gloved fingers through his short, dark hair. He made a sort of groan, a noise of discomfort. "Yeah...about that. I was really just given a name, and told that I was supposed to seek it out. So, I suppose, that I really don't know any more about it than the rest of you," he said, glancing off to his left with a tense look on his face, "Obviously, that's probably not very reassuring. My instincts tell me that it is important for me to find it." Important because it will be good for me, or good for whatever Xenethar is planning for me, the warrior-priest added silently.

"Sounds like we need to get to the Valen Gates. I don't believe there is anything besides food that I will need to stock up on before leaving. I am as ready as I will ever be."

Zahariel nodded his head at Kat. He liked how short and to the point she was, though his instincts also told him she seemed almost too eager to leave. Over the course of his training and time in the field, Zahariel had met all sorts of people. You could often gather certain clues about an individual simply by looking them over, and Kat was the kind of person who seemed to live her life in the shadows. Whether that was by choice or by circumstance, he wasn't certain. Likely, she was a thief or perhaps some sort of assassin. Either way, it mattered not to him, for the only type he had a problem with were those who interfered with the greater purpose of the Hidden God.

"Right, well, I think that you're probably right, Kat. There's just one thing..." he said, pausing briefly, "If we're going to go further, I think it would be best if we introduced ourselves to one another. I only know your name and Roeme's through conversation, and I have yet to learn the name of our other companion." He gestured to Myra with that last sentence. "I'll be perfectly clear, I don't mind what it is that any of you do - so long as you are not inherently cruel, and you don't belong to some strange cult of a false god who interferes with the passage of prayers to the deity I serve, then we shall get along just fine."

Sending a swift glance around the others, Katlina's hues centered again in Zahariel. The others seemed a bit hesitant perhaps to share their names? Well... she would have been as well had not the young man already picked up on most of her name. Now, she knew it would be a simple matter for him to deduce or find out the rest, so there was no need for her to keep it to herself. "My name is Katlina, but, as you have heard, my friends call me Kat. I suppose since we are to share a journey together you both may call me that as well." She nodded to the arachnium and Zahariel, a brief but genuine small lighting her face.

After a moment of hesitation she added, "I have no intention of coming between you and your deity. On the contrary, if helping you serve him aligns with my own tasks, I am happy to do so." She was rather curious, actually, to know more about this deity, as he seemed quite different than some that were worshipped around here. Was he the one who her own Druid people served? That is, her past people. She felt a pang at being no longer one of them.

Forcing her thoughts onward she nodded almost imperceptibly. Yes, curious indeed. Suddenly thinking up a question she lifted her chin and cocked her head a bit. "Zahariel, will our weapons be able to pass through the gate?"

"Yes, I suppose it's time I introduce myself. I am Myriam Aedynheim hailing from the underground city of Agartha. A long ways from here. But you all may call me Myra. Myriam is too formal if you ask me. But that's off topic. I'm a Runesmith of sorts, so that shouldn't interfere with anything between you and your God." She looks at Kat for a moment, and then back to Zahariel.

"Yes. I would like to know that too. It would be troublesome if my supplies and other things dissapeared through this portal you speak of."
Roemello the tallest of the group he kind of naturally stuck out. Feeling eyes slowly turn to him as he was the last to formally introduce himself he spoke before the tension became tangible. "I am Roemello Kyric...". His words getting cut off by pending questions filling the air, it didn't bother him much as he had at least got off his first name, that was enough for him. At least this way noone could call him rude.

Easing back a few steps he felt since his question was for the most part answered he allowed for others to interject. Sensing the warrior-priest growing impatience, he believed if there weapons and personal affects weren't allowed on the "other side" the sir priest would have at least hinted as such by now. At this point our survival, including his own, would rely on the unity of their fellowship.

Unpocketing his hands he slowly placed them in front of him. Gripping his left forearm with his right hand, he just held it there gently clenching his fist feeling the the metal shifting in his forearm with his latter hand.

Zahariel wondered how everyone gathered had arrived if they hadn't traveled by Valen Gate. There were a number of ways to go from one plane to another, but the Gate System was by far and away the most effective and efficient manner. Even Zahariel could go between dimensions by way of the Shadow Realm, but it was generally draining to cross over such lengths of space, let alone multiverses, by himself. Nevertheless, he was willing to indulge everyone's questions to avoid confusion.

"Weapons and equipment will be fine going through the gate. The Gates function on a certain principle that identifies a person's aura and allows them to pass through with their equipment intact, however, with large supplies - such as food for a group of travelers - you'd need special containers. It's impractical, and would be much simpler to get supplies for the journey on the other side of the Gate," he explained, hoping that wouldn't be a problem.

So it's Katlina, Myra, and Roemello, then. They seem like competent companions. I wonder if we're going to be doing much fighting, he wondered. "It's very nice to make your acquaintance, all of you," he added with his practiced non-threatening smile.

The sun wasn't quite ready to set, handing in the sky. Night was still several hours away on this world. Shades always sense the oncoming on Night, the same way a skilled tracker can detect the movement of horses by the vibration of the ground. "We needn't retired, unless you have a reason. I have no desire to tarry, and if it is already night time in Syn'daria we can find an inn. No sense in wasting hours of daylight," he said, perhaps ironically.

*** (Because y'all have been waiting almost a week, we'll narratively skip once again)

Each Valen Gate is made using a unique alloy whose composition remains unknown to all save the metallurgists who constructed the monolith under orders of its creator. The crystals which studded the impressive marvel had etchings of gold in wondrous patterns that connected them all together. As the mystical energies flowed through the magical circuitry of the Gate, a heavy hum filled the air. Once the crystals were harmonized, the tear in the fabric of reality ripped itself open with an almost concussive force. Beyond the threshold of the gate, in the eerie pool created in the space of the arch, one could see a sort of wavy version of the city on the other side. It was not unlike seeing something on the bed of a pond through slightly murky water.

Zahariel prepared to pass himself through the Gate. He did not enjoy the process. For a brief moment he would become an uncertainty to the cosmos, and in that moment his connection to the Shadow Realm would be lost along with all his powers. The first journey had been unpleasant enough, but now he was steeling himself for a second one. Whatever the momentary discomfort, he assured himself, he would be one step closer to the Garden of Origins the moment he set foot on the world of Undun. Syn'daria, on the other side called to him with the siren song of fate and he would be remiss to ignore it. Perhaps it was the case that this was all part of a carefully orchestrated plot by Xenethar, as he feared, but the warrior-priest made up his mind to follow the path of his own free will. "Destiny can either be embraced or fled from, but either path will lead to the one end," his father had told him as a boy.

I won't let you down now, Destiny, the Shade mused.

Stepping through the gate was as painful as the first time. The trillion cells of his mutated body screamed out in their moment of isolation from their source of power in the world of twilight. It was like being dunked in ice water, supposing that the ice was made of frozen fire and the water was something more like acid. Certainly the experience was unpleasant because of the unique nature of his physiology, as before when he traveled through the Gate it was no more uncomfortable than a cold shower.

As he stumbled through the other side of the Gate, Zahariel's vision was blurred. Feeling around, his hand recoiled at the heat. It wasn't the sort of heat from an object being warmed by the sun. No, this was the burning sensation of something which was literally on fire. Grasping the hilt of Nocteras, Zahariel freed the blade from its scabard to use it like a cane and stabilize himself.

A shrieking woman ran across his field of vision, the haze beginning to clear like fog in the sun. She was being chased by men with swords. Zahariel tried to make contact with his powers over shadows, but the confusion in his head made finding the source of his magical abilities like wandering around in a labyrinth.

Born on the world of Lorith, Katlina had never needed to use a so called Valen Gate - though heard of them she certainly had. One did not miss much when you traversed the darker portions of the shining cities, and mingled with beings of all shapes, walks, and beliefs. She knew, somewhat, what to expect when crossing one, but tales could never truly prepare a body for it's cells being dispersed and replaced in a mere blink's time. Nor could one truly realize the enormity of crossing the multiverse just by stepping through a gate. How had the first gate come to be? True to form, her ever curious mind would ponder this as she stepped forward.

Standing before the gate, she couldn't deny to herself the tiny twinge of trepidation as she considered the mirage-like view of her destination before her. She'd really arrive there just by stepping through this... gate? The world was indeed a vast place, full of new things to discover each day. And discover them she would. Taking a breath, she curiously put a hand out, placing it through the gate as a 'test' of sorts. An icy cold seemed to nip her fingers, as she pushed her hand up to it's wrist through the gate. What an odd feeling, it was a bit of a 'disembodied' experience (xD) to have her hand seemingly vaporized. She pulled it back quickly, feeling her hand with the one she'd kept safely at her side. It seemed normal enough. Well then. Enough speculation and investigation. She flung a carefree grin to the others, gaze lingering on Roeme for a moment, her stormy grey eyes glinting with the excitement only a new adventure could bring, and, with a hand upon the knife at her waist, she strode quickly through the gate.

Plunged into the proverbial ice water, the murky city loomed before her, and it would seem for a brief moment as if she had tunnel vision. Blackness closed in around her, pressing upon her, seeming to engulf her completely and for a split second she feared her very being would be lost. And then she was out the other side, her body next to Zahariel's, and she flashed him that same grin. "Well... that was the experience of a lifetime." She dryly observed. And then the scream tore her gaze to the woman who flung herself headlong towards them. Men with swords followed close upon the woman's heels and it was this sight with caused Katlina's guard to go up, her hand whipping the first dagger from it's hilt. What the blazes?

The frantic and wild gaze of the woman caused Katlina to immediately choose sides, though interfere she did not... yet. Her life had not been one of ease, and she had learned it never payed to jump to quickly into a new situation. Though, in all honesty, that is exactly what she had done in arriving here. But hey, she chose her spontaneous moments.
Unsure of exactly how the gate worked, all Roeme surmised was it was to be a painful experience and he heard the echoing screams of his newly acquired comrades enduring the gates judgement. Gaining a little meddle from Katlina's smile, he dropped a foot back and began swaying his person to and fro as if awaiting his turn to join in a game of double dutch. Not even allowing the ripples of Katlina's entrance to simmer down, Roeme found himself following close behind.

Crossing over, at first he felt the cold as if death incarnate had just breezed by, then he felt nothing. Being shunted out of the other side, the whole experience knew to him he stumbled over he feet exiting forcing him into a tumbling roll. Gaining his bearing on the second complete roll, a single kick standed leg propped outward halting his person. Still down on his knees for the most part, Roeme ruffly shook his trying to clear his vision, a piercing scream ripped him back to his senses. Immediately looking for Katlina he had to make sure that sound was of her doing. Bringing himself to a standing position, he dusted himself off as he peered past Katlina, seeing she was fine, just dealing. Raising a hand to defend his eyes against this new places mighty sun, Roeme saw a gaggle of armed 'men' chasing a single woman. "What the...."

Looking back and down at the warrior-priest, Roeme opened his mouth to question but immediately stopped as he gazed at their default leader. (Is the sun.... hurting him?) Taking off his hooded trench coat, he draped it over the priests person, before crouching down to face level. "You don't look so well....are you sure this is the correct location?

Having looked upon the Valen Gate's architecture for a while, she took mental notes of it's design. It might be useful someday. But, after seeing everyone else walk through, she figured it was about time for her to walk through also. A bit nervous, as she's never used such a thing before. She eventually walks through it...

A feeling of utter cold washed over her body as she briefly traveled through it. It made uncomfortable to say the least, but the worst was over, for she had ended up on the other side with her comrades. "Well, that was a bit unpleasant..." She dusted her self off a bit before turning her head and the screaming woman and the men with swords and other things chasing after her. She knew it was best to better observe the situation before acting. What in the world was going on?

Zahariel did not begrudge his new companions for their hesitation, it was in the nature of most to observe rather than react. However, the warrior-priest was not that kind of individual. Punching through the discomfort and disorientation with a fist of iron will, the Shade stepped forward. As his foot touched the shadow cast by the awning of the building nearest the Gate, the space around him warped and gave off a brief violet flash. Shadow-stepping moved him almost instantly to the building the fleeing woman approached as she hurried away in a fit of hysteria from the armed assailants.

Bringing his sword around in a wide arc, Zahariel the heads of the first two armed men were left behind as their bodies stumbled forward. Raising a clenched fist, the shadows he stood in responded eagerly to his command. Gaining a third dimension they lashed out like tendrils of black ink and restrained the third armed man who was, at the point, the one who was screaming loudest. While he'd had noble intentions, the woman had likely never seen a Shade in her life and she screamed something about a demon before taking off again.

Zahariel could easily see now that a portion of the city was in flames, smoke rising in thick plumes from various buildings on the block. Uniformed men with pikes charged in formation down a few blocks from where he stood - the city guard. Clearly the men he'd slain were not part of the guard, for they wore no uniform. Instead, they were clothed in loose-fitting garb with cheap leather armor. Probably bandits, he deduced, Oh God of Gods, always the most exciting welcoming parties you have for me.

Looking back at the others he called out, "The city is under attack! The Guards are all in uniform, a crest like a bird on their chest. Protect the innocent if you can, now is the time for battle!"

With a sinking feeling, Katlina watched the quick and decisive movements of Zahariel who had dispatched two men and stopped the third in a near blink of an eye. She took a deep breath, placed a cool hand upon Roemello's arm then glanced to Myra. She knew Roeme could fight, she had fought alongside him before, hating every moment of the bloodshed and terror. But she had never been one to shrink from what must be done, and so she gave a nod to them, before springing lightly forward, both knives now in hand.

Keeping the others in sight, hoping to have their backs if need be, she moved further into the reaches of the city itself, eyes beginning to burn some with the smoke boiling through the air, it's acrid stench burning her throat. True to Zahariel's proclamation, it was easy to tell the difference between the bedraggled bandit's apprearance, and the well kept guards in uniform. Easy, even, to set those two groups apart from the commonfolk, who ran about in horror untrained and foolishly leaving their backs unprotected. Two such folk, another woman and a small child who she held tightly by the hand, were running from a burning building just in front of her. Hot on their heels, laughing maniacally and calling out crude jests, was a burly bandit.

Moving with a grace born from her trade's need for stealth, she slipped closer, feet carrying her easily up a pile of fallen rubble before immediately leaping again to bring her weight to bear upon the bandit, carrying them both to the ground with a thud. Having knocked the wind from the surprised ruffian, she immediately took advantage of his stunned state to bring the hilt of her knife to meet his temple. A moment later and he was laying unconscious at her feet. She would take no lives if she could help it. Not even the lives of the immoral and unjust. "Get your backs to a wall and keep a sharp eye out." she told the woman and child, her voice ringing with urgency and steel. "Quit screaming and use your head." Well... perhaps she wasn't the most patient, but at least she was helping.

After she cast a quick glance around again, pinning each of her comrades with her grey gaze to make sure they fared well, she glanced at the burning building before her. A wail was issuing forth from the second story, fit to raise the dead, easily heard over the crackling of the inferno which held the building in thrall. Gads.... She felt her spine crawl with unease. No one could withstand those flames for long. If they had already reached the child, it was a gonner. But she could not stand by and allow it's death. Without another thought, her knives were replaced in their sheathes and she was off, sprinting to close the distance to the building. Instead of moving through the flaming doorway, she went to the side of the building closest to where the wailing issued from and easily began scaling the outside, using cracks and notches in the stone to aid her. Her fingers burned as she rose higher, the stone becoming hot to the touch. Her eyes streamed now, smoke painting her face a grey nearly the color of her eyes.

Slipping then, into the building's second story window, she inhaled a deep breath just before. Then, following the sound easily, she found a small huddled form, small enough thankfully for her to wrap in her arms. But .. she suddenly realized that she could not climb down the way she'd come up, with her arms full of child. Great planning Kat she berated herself, searching for a better way out. Not finding one, she tried to take another breath, only to inhale more fumes, and hacked. "Hold on.." She muttered to the child. There was nothing for it, the doorway was ablaze and she knew the stairwell would be too dangerous to descend. Holding the child tight in her arms, she leapt from the window, gasping out the words as she began to fall. "Earth cushion our fall." The power she put into the words caused them to reverberate slightly with an odd echo. Pain blossomed in her gut with a jolt, just as her feet sank into the earth. True to her gift, the very earth dipped under their weight, lessening the impact a great deal, though still knocking the wind from Katlina as she rolled to keep the child upright and unharmed. Laying stunned, eyes streaming from the smoke, and pain twisting her belly from her use of the power, she tried to find her focus once more.
Now scratching at his head barely on the outskirts of town, he wondered if the sun really halted the Shade at all but more importantly, would he get his trench coat back. Watching Zahariel seemingly teleport using the shadows, Roemello deemed it a useful ability. (He's nearly as fast as I am in my Raiton Chakura Moto: Cloak of Lightning). Neverminding the thought, a cold hand of Katlina's pulled his ever wandering mind back to reality. Leaving his side, to no doubt help others, he had never met anyone more selfless. But he himself had alterior motives.

Watching Kat just long enough, she disappeared behind blankets of smoke. He forever worried about her but he knew the quickest way to piss her off would be to 'handle' her with any hint of misogyny or to keep her out of a fight. He had mistakenly, at one time or another, done both and paid dearly for it. Looking around his immediate vicinity, Roemello found what he was looking for...a guard tower built into the towns encompassing wall. Sprinting toward the outpost, in one moderator leap, Roemello easily cleared two stories worth of distance. Flexing his fingers mid air, his finger nail grew to sharp talons in an instant, digging them into the wooden tower he hesitated a moment gathering his footing. Pushing off the tower he turned a 180°, grabbing for the cobblestone that was the wall. His talons easily penetrating, this time Roemello only held on with a single hand so as he could turn around twist his upper body and take a gander. (Damn, still not high enough...) he somberly thought to himself. Turning back he dug in with his free hand, allowing a little a slack, in one motion he thrust himself up another story. Clenching for the summit, he barely managed. Reaching up the other hand to complete his climb, an eerie feeling overtook him.

Jerking back his hand, a breeze zipped past his face as a lone pike wedged itself in the wall. Turning to look where it came from, a small gathering off armored men flooded below him. One rearing back another arm, Roeme knew his intentions. Releasing his hold, he fell a few inches before grabbing on to the discarded pike. Using his momentum to make one full rotation, he released performing a single backflip before landing firmly atop the wall. The cocked soldiers attempt jetting towards Roemello a simple bending of his upper torso allowed him to dodge before he began to plead with them. "What are you doing?!?" Another round of pikes fleeting after him, this forced him to defend himself. Pointing both fists up but away from his person, he clenched a hair tighter. Six, 12 inch a piece, claws brandished themselves between his knuckles. Swiping them both outward he eviscerated the incoming attacks, metal pike endings and wooden polearms alike. "I am on your side!!". Remembering his natural ruffian appearance he believed words wouldn't do much to save him but he had aimed for birds eye view vantage point because all did not seem right too him. Yes the city was in perilous danger, but why only this block, why hadn't happenings spilt into other quadrants. Something was amiss.

Looking immediately to the direction Katlina had left for, Roeme without regard for his own well being or explanation raced down along the wall in her direction. She would kill him if he told her, he had without her know manufactured a psychic link between the two. Even though they couldn't directly speak through it, he felt her every emotion coupled with his own. Appearing through a cloud of smoke, Roeme saw a blazing building towering of Katlina...(Was she holding something?). The building tilting in her direction, it's supports growing weak any moment it would become a death trap to her.

Seeing in an adjacent alley, a woman cornered it surprised Roemello to fine city guards to ones to be surrounding her, clearly taking advantage of the pandemonium. (The plot thickens...). Roemello was now literally stuck between a rock and a 'hot' place. Which would he choose...or was he fast/agile enough to do both??

Myra glanced around at her surroundings, now having gotten a feel of the situation at hand. The town they had traveled was currently being burned down and attacked by what looks like bandits. With Zahariel's command she got her ever-char off of her back. The end of it bursts into flame, illuminating the nearby shadows. If anything were to happen, it could be used as a makeshift, flaming maul. After seeing her comrades run off into separate directions, she thought it would be good to help as well.

She ran off towards where most of the fire was, as well as slamming her ever-char onto the back of a bandit's head on her way there, making him fall over clutching his noggin. She looked around at the different burning buildings and screams of terror all around her. She took off her pack, searched through it a bit and took out two flasks of blue, swirling liquid. She put her pack back on and put one of the flasks at her waist, while she aimed the other at a building and uncapped it. A violent torrent of water sprays from the bottle, washing away the fire at one of the buildings. She now walks around the town aiming at different buildings, as well as washing away bandits in her path, some of them getting a mouthful of water and coughing violently after.

Streams of water fill parts of the streets, heading for the sewer openings in the roads as she continues to drench the city. Eventually, the flask runs out, and she tosses it out near a recently extinguished building. She takes the other off of her waist and uncaps it, unleashing another torrent. She eventually got around to where Roemello and Katlina were near, and proceeded to extinguish the nearby area, with the water breaking through windows of buildings and flowing through doorways. Another bandit charged at her wielding a mace, and she aimed the bottle at him and did the same with the others, him getting knocked over and carried away with the torrent.
Myra having invoked a water conjuring Roemello was not familiar with, he would keep in mind it's power. Cupping his hands from his perch above still atop a usurped guard tower, an amethyst crackling of electrical energy spawned between his palms. Holding out two fingers a piece on each hand he pulled them apart horizontally invoking an inaudible chant to help focus his technique.

Drawing an arc, Roemello grasped the construct with his left hand dead center before rearing back revealing it to be an arm mounted crossbow. A low light 'string' appearing, Roemello lifted his right hand to make use of it's functionality. Bent index and middle finger grazing a single arrow manifested across it. Deprecating his fingers in a V, his arrow did the same dividing into a second replica of itself.

Plucking at the string, the pair fired off his construct zipping across the broken city. Breaking through a smoldering house's windows Roemello had to take straight or arcing shots at his current level with this technique. At higher profiency he hoped to be able and tweak their trajectory. Hearing the unsuspecting yelp of grown men, Roemello knew he had hit his mark. And the amount of aura he put into the technique he was sure to a minimum damage incapacitate with slight nerve spasms.

Looking down at Katlina from his location, she still seemed to be gathering herself. (Is she alright? I don't ever remember it taking her this long to compose herself.) Myra torrents showing to be quite effective, maybe too much so. Looking at the building looming over Kat and companion, her torrents definitely doused the flames but they also weakened the buildings inner supports. Hearing a resounding *crack*, Roemello likened it too the snapping of sails main. Watching the buildings tilt, Roemello outwardly voiced the words "No!", as they were muffled by the creaking wood.

Gripping his hands to the ledge of the watch tower, his phalanges clsws dug into the overhang. The muscles in his legs tightening he pushed off darting himself in her direction. He only hoped he could make it, he still had a little distance to cover.

Pulling out of the haze caused by her rough landing and smoke inhalation, Katlina finally pulls herself to her feet, arms clasped tightly around the child. Finally able to get a clear breath, she felt her vision returning to normal as well. Pain still lingered in her belly, but she had learned to move despite it.

Now, her gaze moved quickly around to pinpoint each of her companions, hoping none had been hurt. With a blink, she watched Myra douse flame after flaming inferno. That's a neat trick.. she mused, oblivious for the moment of the building nearby's imminent downfall. Suddenly, her gaze found Roemello. He seemed agitated about... something? What could be wrong? She remembered him acting tbis way before when she had been in danger, but, she would be fine. Surely he knew that.

Brows furrowing she lingered, moving her stormy hues to nervously scan her surroundings once more, searching for the cause of the large man's unease. Suddenly, a loud creaking resounded from the building, it's structure weakening to the point of no return. Metals groaned as the building began to tip. Katlina's eyes widened. Ohhhh, that's what's wrong.

Gads. How did she always end up in danger? It was like the classic damsel in distress situation. She hated to be a damsel. And yet, she knew she couldn't outrun the building before it crushed her and her small bundle. This knowledge didn't keep her feet from springing forward, propelling her frame as fast as she could to get clear of the now quickly falling building.

As she ran, she noted Roeme zooming her direction. Her quick judgement told her he might be too far to reach them. And if he did, he might just be crushed too. What could she do? She had already used her power once. Doing so again might cause a bigger problem for her than pain stabbing her stomach.

Could she use less somehow? Save the child. she could at least do that much. Transporting a person would take a lot of power. Funny thing was, with the grand scope of things she could command, she couldn't command herself. Her power had never taken hold when she'd tried to use it in herself. It was a curse, like the rest of her power.

Stop thinking, just act. she couldn't afford to have a ponderous moment right now. Forcing her thoughts back, she focused on the child in her arms and stopped moving, to better get things right. Through a slightly scratchy throat she muttered, power lacing each soft word. "Instantly appear with Myra." The arachnium woman seemed far enough from danger and would hopefully be able to keep the child from further harm.

No sooner had the last word been uttered but the child was gone from her arms, obeying her will and instantly appearing within arms reach of Myra. Would the woman notice?

The world swam before Katlina's vision as the curse of her powers took hold and the pain blossomed in her stomach. The sight of the building looming over her was the last thing she remembered before her vision faded completely and she teetered, falling as if she were a copy of the building itself. Then there was only the pain.

Zahariel heart quickened when he saw his new companions spring into action. Despite their initial hesitation, when the finally decided to act they did so with a robust sort of heroism. A smile spread across his face, and he turned to his ensnared bandit. His voice came smoothly, his face seemed to transform from warm to fierce, "Where is your leader?"

The shadows moved in accordance with his will, allowing the bandit's mouth to move freely. He was a tanned young man with a half-grown beard, clearly some sort of youth who probably grew up in squalled conditions. Zahariel's heart went out to him, as the fear of the Shade was twisting the face of his captive. Obviously, he'd just seen two of his companions swiftly beheaded, so the bandit was likely pretty shocked. At the Temple, Zahariel learned compassion for all - especially those whose prayers were denied. Yet, a denial to a prayer was still an answer, and if that was the will of the Hidden God it wasn't the place of someone to rage against their fate.

"Answer me now, or you will meet the same fate as your comrades. You were chasing a woman, threatening her life - trying to punish others because your prayers didn't receive the answer you wanted," Zahriel said flatly as the shadows tilted the head of the bandit upwards.

Stuttering for a moment, the bandit finally answered, "The fires were a distraction, he's made his way for the town square...the statue of Syndash the Founder, they're going to blow it up."

His golden eyes narrowed for a moment, but Zahariel willed the shadows which flowed back to the ground like water rolling off a duck. "Your prayer for your life has been heard and answered. From now on, if your prayers are not answered the way you wish, then perhaps you should accept your fate and try to overcome it instead of punishing those around you," the warrior priest stated. Nodding hesitantly, the bandit got up to his feet and fled. Closing his eyes, Zahariel's consciousness spread along the shadows of the city. To the West, his allies battled the fire and bandits along with the guardsmen. Elsewhere, to the East, in the city center the bandits with their leader were setting the charges that would destroy the towering statue of the city founder. Zahariel could only be in one place at a time.

Willing the shadows around himself, the Shade teleported once more. He appeared the in shadow of the large monument. Syndash, if the statue was of his likeness, had been a handsome man - the statue of gold was impressive to say the least. It didn't take long for the bandits laying caskets of gunpowder around the statue to realize a strange creature was standing there holding a longsword. Zahariel didn't give them a chance to respond. Raising his gloved hand, he cast out a web of magic which touched every bandit in his line of sight. Shadows responded to the magic wrapping itself around the lines of unseen power, lashing out and constricting every bandit instantly. Leaving enough energy as a node to keep the spell in place, Zahariel turned his attention to the Bandit Leader.

Unlike the others, when Zahariel had appeared the leader had snuck out of sight, so he was unaffected by the spell Zahariel cast. "Are you some kind of demon?" he asked. The bandit's leader was an older man, perhaps thirty or so, with a long dark beard - his hand was replaced by some sort of canon made of silver with runes etched into it.

"I am Zahariel Portal'e, warrior priest of the Hidden God," the Shade responded as his feet shifted to a steadier stance, "and you are hereby accused of the crime of punishing others in defiance of the answers of your prayers."

A choked laugh came from the man standing across from him, "I stand accused of crimes by some templar from another world whose body is corrupted by shadow magic?" His eyes narrowed as he continued, "You've got to be kidding me." Raising his canon-hand, a bolt of lightning issued forth from its mouth.

The searing blast of energy caught Zahariel off guard, but he managed to side-step the majority of the attack. Lightning cut into the flesh of his arm as the attack carried on and shattered the wall of the building behind him, and the warrior priest gritted back a shout of pain. No magical energy field had been emitted before the attack, it wasn't conventional spellcasting that powered the canon. Whatever mechanism it operated upon, the Shade didn't have time to deduce it in the moment.

He hoped the guards were close to rallying, and that his companions might be made aware of the threat at the city center...

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Spectral Seed

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus