Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Barton Village

Tenoji Tails (played by CactusBat) Topic Starter

Tenoji flashed her a wide smile of white teeth, he leaned on the door frame in a manner all too nonchalant. "Merely a tourist come to see some urban landmarks. But there's not much around other than this church. Would you mind?" Regardless of whether or not she allowed him in, he nimbly slipped his way inside on his own in a single fluid motion, and a quick turn. "It's a nice church you have here." He flashed her another wide smile. He turned away and began to look about, stuffing his hands into his pockets as he made a simple shuffling-footed glide-step around the room. "Oh trust me, I am well aware of how dangerous it is. But I have my way to keep safe."
Magik Madison (played by Magik)

There was just something daunting about someone who looked so put together, so good. Usually if something appeared too good, it probably was. She watched his smile and listened to his explanation warily, not realizing that she had held her spatula sort of like a weapon of sorts, not like it would do alot of damage.

When he slipped in without an invitation, she gave a small cry of surprise, which meant he was clear of one possible problem. Her head tilted as she followed the sweeping of his coat into the doorway. Man was either really happy or really good on his feet. She bit her bottom lip nervously as she closed the doors behind her. "This isn't really a good place to sight see. Thank you. It's not really mine but I've sort of set up shop here for now."

She walked back over to her now burnt grilled cheese and sighed as she flipped that one off to one side, cleaning the pan out to start a new one. "Are you hungry? Oh, I guess I should introduce myself, I'm Magik Madison, Cleric of Pelor.I can make you a couple sandwiches?"

The church was set up for sermons, but there weren't any followers, not to mention, the church seemed almost homey in the kitchen corner. Set up with simple appliances and even a small wooden dining table for four. A small hallway took people down to the rectory, where her living quarters were probably set up for now. "I made some iced tea earlier today, brewed out in the sun. The best kind?" She smiled somewhat at his smile, man seemed friendly enough. But even she knew looks could be deceiving.

She was already setting two more sandwiches down to cook carefully. "And how can you keep yourself safe, Mr?...." She was waiting for a name, spatula put down for now but her eyes were all on him.

"No, no...no need to feed me. I had chicken for dinner." The white-coated stranger grinned sheepishly. Hey, it was the truth, though he hoped she would not make the connection so readily. Then again, humans where blind to the truths before their nose, for the most part. But then again, she was a priestess, her sort where more perceptive than most.

Tenoji offered her a hand, and gave a fake name. "Mr. Renard." And gave her a grin, "Oh, it's not hard for me. I learned a few small charms..." He reached into his coat, and produced a single folded piece of paper. The paper itself looked hand-rolled and covered in a complicated ink calligraphy to form a symbol on the front as it was folded. "Keeps evil spirits away, that sort of superstition nonsense"

He placed the charm amulet into his pocket once more. As he slipped away to look about the church and it's interior more. The curiosity of the fox took over once more. He seldom got a chance to see inside holy sites, at least, those of a western variety at least. He was very familiar with oriental shrines and temples.

But there was something about western culture and their manner of worship that his fox magic found repugnant and repulsive to it's nature. But this church was different. Hrmmm...curious. But Tenoji could think of a potential answer. "So, what is the nature of Pelor? What sort of a God is he? And what sort of worship does his veneration commend?"

"Nice coat by the way." She returned his smile with a slight bow of her head as she accepted his hand with her hand, slipping the spatula into the left for a moment. "Well met, Mr. Renard. Very nice to meet you." The smile on her face seemed genuine and no recognition of putting two and two together, except her face showed she was still unsure from whence he came.

Seeing the piece of paper he pulled from his pocket, she gave it a careful once over as she shut off her oven and took off her grilled cheese sandwich. "You can do origami too perhaps?" The way he had folded the paper told her abit about how he was, to an extent. Perhaps some about his character if you will. "Sometimes, faith and belief are enough to keep them at bay alone."

She sat down at the small dining table she had set into the church and readied a napkin over her lap, politeness above all. The church was nice, it had probably been beautiful before the city changed. But its majestic stained glass windows depicting Saints and Angels still stood the test of time. The front altar didn't have much left of its previous religion, a once Catholic Church, it had been vandalized of most of its golden relics and anything worth some money. It suited her needs as a station and an area of worship fine.

She took a light bite of her sandwich, bringing the napkin up to blot at her lips as he looked around, eyes lighting up at his questions. She liked answering questions. It was mostly due to her not having anyone to answer them for. "Pelor is the god of Sun. He stands for Healing, Light and Strength. This is his symbol." She reached into her shirt and pulled out a simple looking silver chain, but on that chain, was a depiction of an older man's face against a blazing, stunning sun. Or were the two, one and the same, and he was the sun? Both would seem to be correct answers.

"If you wanted a true depiction though, I might suggest you find a way to read this?" She reaches into her jeans pocket and pulls out a small paper book. The book itself seemed to glow a soft solar radiant color, besides that, the only thing adorning it was "The Light Of Pelor" in golden elegant script decorating the front, obviously a travel version of their bigger, religious texts.

She took small, delicate bites, speaking in between when she had something to say, letting him look about the main room for now. She could keep an eye on him at least. "Pelor's ways are to help heal the sick, Help those in need, and help keep evil at bay. Though we're supposed to destroy evil, I myself believe everyone should be given a second chance. Evil is a learned behavior after all." Seems she didn't like smitting everyone she saw. Interesting to note, she didn't give a prayer before she started eating.

Tenoji smiled softly as she mentioned Origami and pulled an even square piece of paper, the color of her hair, from his pocket and began to fold. Show, never tell. His fingers worked to smooth and crease paper. "For some things, faith is enough. For some, not so much. It's a matter of from which you draw strength." He continued to work, as he leaned over and examined the holy symbol. It was an interesting depiction, he bit his lower lip and mused slightly.

Humans and their personifications of elemental constants. He certainly understood it, it was a force that was omnipresent in their day to day life. And in Pelor's case, the reason their day to day life existed. He had long believed that humans where never capable to be wholly nocturnal. Made more sense to him that than Abrahamic Faiths that lay in the minds of many in the west. But, he was hardly one that could play judge on that philosophy.

After all, he had been visited by agents of gods himself, once upon a time. And though they hadn't been winged or bathed in light, he couldn't deny that it was a possibility.

Fold upon fold, careful and exact, quick with practice as he folded a little origami frog. He walked over and set it on the table, giving it a tap to make it hop. With that done, he took the small holy text. It made his palms itch slightly. He flipped it open.

"Hrrmm, I might be inclined to agree. However, only some evil is learned. For others, it is nature. There is pure evil in the world, Priestess. I've seen it. It's not as common as some would have you believe, not hardly. It is a rarity, a one in a thousand. But it is there." He looked up with a sigh. But she had complemented his coat, and with a small smile he wiggled his shoulders out of the jacket...leaving his torso bare, and offered it to her. "A trade for allowing me in and the information. Don't worry, I have hundreds."

She ate that grilled cheese sandwich like she hadn't eaten anything that good in days, and truth be told, she probably hadn't been eating much. Somedays it was something simple, other days, she made due on whatever the stores had leftover. Canned goods overlooked usually. Spam was not a deluxe dinner.

She smiled widely at watching him fold, politely covering her mouth when he made her laugh after setting down his little origami frog. To which she had to touch to make hop too, it reminded her of being young once, without responsibilities or a care in the world, without needing to be as guarded and protected inside this church as she was now. Sadness was mirrored in her eyes for only a moment as she finished her sandwich and then tossed her paper plate away with its napkin. Disposable things for now.

She sighed at hearing his offered words of advise, finding what he said truthful. Some people couldn't be swayed from their course or saved, but to give up without the fight seemed to be a lost cause to her. "I don't know if I've seen pure evil yet. I've seen people give in to evil, be overwhelmed by evil, but I don't think I've seen anyone willingly have welcomed it." To believe anyone could just seemed maddening to think about. She blinked as he removed his coat, eyes downcast a moment after realizing he had a bare torso and then an incredulous look filled her sapphire eyes as she stood, now meeting his eyes. "...I couldn't...really take it, Mr. Renard. I mean..it's a grand gesture. Seriously?" It was as if no one had ever offered her a gift, well, outside of church. She extended her hand, taking it from him softly and holding it close to her body after taking it. She bowed her head, the smile not faltering. "I shall cherish it always and wear it in memory of one so kind as yourself. Thank you, Sir." The look shining in her eyes must have been the person she had been before coming to such a dark place, undertaking such a task. Her hand on the collar and the fact she held it up high enough so its tails wouldn't sweep the floor let her know she took gifts seriously.

"Not that grand a gesture in truth. I am rather obsessed with the look of that coat, and so I have purchased many in the same style. To give this one hardly makes a dent in my closet." He shrugged his shoulders gently, giving no mind to his bare torso at all, in fact, he looked even more comfortable having shed the coat. "So yes, for seriously serious. Consider it a gift to the start of a new friendship."
He tucked the pamphlet away in his front pocket, as he began to look about the room they were in once more, speaking to both her and himself in a bemused tone of voice, "So you live in this beautiful place, but what do you do outside it?"

He found himself a seat, whatever it might be, perhaps a pew or a simple chair or whatever was handy. He didn't really care, he just wanted a place to sit and stretch his body as he spoke to her. So that is exactly what he did. "I mean, certainly, even in a dangerous place like this. You must take a time outside the walls of this church, don't you? Leisure time for yourself or simply to retrieve necessities?"

She wasn't even aware she was holding it quite so tightly as she turned it this way and that, checking to see if it would fit. And it would, though it would be abit big on her, but it was a trenchcoat. They were supposed to be abit bulky and cool looking. The smile reached her eyes like a kid at Christmas as she finally made herself hang it on a hook off to one side of the doorway within easy reach before she'd leave to go somewhere.

She winced at the word friendship, guilt hitting her once again at not being able to save her friend from before, images racing through her mind as she had to steady herself with a hand against the wall to keep from being overwhelmed by the blood and gored memories. She hoped she had made it look just like she was leaning to lean, but her "Acting" wasn't really that good. "Friends. I haven't really had anyone to talk to or hang with for...quite awhile now. Well, a couple months." A couple months in that place seemed like a lifetime. "But yes, I'd like us to be friends."

Once he sat down and she moved along the pews as he asked his question. It wasn't a grand answer she would have to tell him. "I get supplies yes. Whatever I can find. I haven't been outside the city in...well, since I came here. Time's become a blur, days and nights, well...I have to be aware of them, where the sun is, how long till it sets for obvious reasons. I Garden abit. Try to grow some vegetables to eat. I'd like to try to get this city back to its former glory, but with the crime rate and everything that happens at night, it's not plausible at the moment." She slumps into a pew, sitting forward with her elbows resting on her knees, hands clasped almost as if in player. "My Leisure time simply goes into helping this place shine among the darkness. I don't really...know what to do with myself in the quiet times, when I should be resting or...simply enjoying life?" How could she enjoy it fully when she always had to be sure to make it back in time for the security of the church's wards.

"You should go out among those you are trying to reach." He reached over and scratched her back between her shoulders as she slumped there. "A cloistered priestess not in touch with those she serves cannot bring light to anyone. Don't you think?" He grinned whippishly, a hint of mischief lingering on the corners of his lips. "But truly, it is a matter of what you enjoy. What brings you to life." He slid back to his feet and pulled another piece of paper from his pocket, he began to fold it once more.

He gave a short smile, "Of course, I don't blame you for sticking to warded holy ground. Whole city is a war zone. Humans with stakes and shotguns kill monsters. And the Monsters come back with fang and magic. Human incursion gets pushed out, regroups, comes back for another hunt. Seems futile, doesn't it?" He grimaces lightly as he made a bad fold, quickly working to correct his mistake. Then he finished it, a paper bird in his hand. It wasn't a crane, no...more like a sparrow that sat in his hand. He set it on the pew.

"But you, you hold faith. Faith turns aside many unreal creatures. I know this for fact..." He rubbed his palms, which still itched from touching the religious text. "Faith dispels their illusions and their powers, when wielded properly. Take this as...advise from a friend."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Barton Village

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus