Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Corvos Consolari *CLOSED*

Harlan Devalur (played by maxbegone) Topic Starter

I crossed my arms and sighed. Manon had a distinct crease in her brow. She was definitely annoyed but this Nadia's comments, and the tells were that it wasn't the first time it's happened.

Nadia seemingly rushed out and shoved a bag into our hands.

"Pay. And off you get, I've got business to attend to and I don't need three girls selling themselves in my shop."

I bit my tongue, reluctantly, and gave her a sly smile.

"Of corse. We'll be right on our way. It's been a pleasure doing business with you, madam."

And with that, I swiftly walked from the storefront and back into the streets.
"Thorunn makes very high-quality arrowheads." I remark contently as I examine one of the 40 arrows we were supplied with. I'd given 20 of the stock to Moira, adding the other 20 to my own supply. They were quite beautiful, nearly perfect in every way. Looks aside, they shot well and that's all they really needed to accomplish to be worth any coin.

Returning the arrow to its rightful place, I turn to Harlan.

"Are you any good with a bow? Or, to put it like Moi did yesterday, are you more into the 'stabby-stabby'?" I use air quotes to playfully mock Moira, jabbing her lightly with my elbow and giving her a small wink.

I shook my head. "I use daggers, thank you," I said as I lead the way towards the blacksmith. "And I'm acquiring more once we get to the smith's. I'll warn you now that I have several hidden daggers on me at all times. And occasionally one is poinsoned."

I turned myself towards Moira and Manon. "I emphasize the poison. It's leathal, so don't go hunting for it while
I'm sleeping. Or dead."

I pushed the door open and walked inside the shop.
I shot Manon an amused look; it seemed like our new friend still wasn't warming up to us. I wasn't going to rush her though, either she'd open up or she wouldn't, it made no difference to me, as long as it didn't affect our mission.

"Let's just get our gear and get on the road; these werewolves aren't going to kill themselves."
"But what if they did?! What if we get to their pack and they all keel over. I mean you never know, arcane magic is powerful stuff." I say, as dramatically as I can - shifting my arms around me to emphasize the situation. Humor. Humor usually works. Maybe Harlan will laugh. It's a long shot...but I'll take it.

I roll my eyes. How can someone have so much energy and positivity in one body? Manon was definitely going to be the death of me. And not from a blow, but from pure exhaustion.

We picked up our gear and headed past the stone walls of the city. "And we're off. What's the rough estimate, how long will it take us to get to the area?"
"A few hours, I'd like to keep a good pace and get there just before dusk, so we can get set up and scout the area."

I turned and started walking towards the grand gates of the city, the banners flapping in the wind. I hoped it didn't mean a storm was brewing.

I looked at Harlan as we passed through the gates and onto the road leading towards the forest. "Don't worry, we'll finish this job, and you never have to be annoyed by us again."

"Annoyed?" I shook my head. "I'll say you're rather amusing me. For the time being. But yes, once this job is done, I'll be collecting my pay and heading out on the road again."

The truth was I didn't know what would lie ahead of me. This contract right now, however, was the goal. Get this finished then figure out my next step. And preferably farther and farther away from Grandfather's manor and that retched family. I didn't want to deal with their mocking. If I returned on begging knees they would probably just kick me back, if they even spared me a moment at all. I clenched my jaw tight.
I opened my mouth to speak, but thought better of it and held my tongue. We'd see how this job went first; no sense getting anyone's hopes up.

We walked in silence for most of the way. We kept a brisk pace, only stopping once for a quick, light meal. As the sun dipped lower in the sky, I pulled out my map once more, my fingers tracing our route so far.

"This is it, the turn off to the clearing and the entrance to the cave," I said as I motioned to a path almost hidden by overgrowth. I folded the map back up and put it in my pocket before pulling my bow off my back. "Double check your weapons, apply any poisons, and make sure you've got your potions where you can reach them. And if anyone needs to relieve themselves, now's the time."

I sigh, my stomach tightening. Time to get this over with.

I pull out one of the daggers I have hidden in my boot. It's shined and sharpened, and I give it a click. The base of the handle where it meets the blade remains dry, no liquid coming out. From my bag I pull out a tiny vile of thick greenish liquid and give it a shake. It turns into a vibrant yellow in an instant.

I refil the dagger and slip it back into my boot. I give my shoulders a roll and turn to Moira.

"All set."
With our weapons readied, the three of us head into the cave. With a flick of my wrist I send off a few small orbs of dancing lights to hover around us, best not to let them wander off in front of us and give us away but the cave is much too dark to navigate without a source of light. Even our Elven eyes wouldn't be of help in the black expanse we were now traversing through.

"Moi, you have any idea how far back this cave goes?" I whisper quietly to the body at my side.
"Not far," I whispered. "But that doesn't matter because we're going to fight on our terms, not theirs. On my signal, send the light back as far as you can, okay?"

I took two pouches of caltrops out of my bag and began quietly spreading them out across the cave floor.

"Let's see how their hairy, little footsies like that..." I glanced at Manon as I began backing away from the cave entrance, and as I nocked an arrow, I gave her a sharp nod. "Now!"

I was genuinely expecting the very worst from these girls...Why? Well, in my opinion, Moira seemed rather impulsive from what I've seen her do. There was a crackle of light and I ducked into the shadow by the edge of the cave. Manon's eyes were focused and shimmered in response to her spell.

As for me, my heart pounded, but I swallowed hard to keep my resilience.

For a moment, there was nothing. Just silence from the three of us, on account of our breathing and the rustling of the leaves on the trees from the wind. And then suddenly, a flash of light, blinding, burst out from the depths of the cave. I tightened my grip on the dagger in my hand and braced myself for the worst.
Harlan wore a look of apprehension as she clutched her daggers, so I locked eyes with her for just a moment, then gave her a slow, encouraging nod. I only hoped she'd perform as well under pressure as I thought she would.

All thoughts flew from my head as I heard the roar from inside the cave. I kept my breathing steady as the savage growling grew closer. My bow was taut and ready to fire at the first sight of the beasts.

"Three...two...one..."

Then all hell broke loose.
Despite my inborn arcane abilities, I stick to my bow, firing my first shot and sinking it into one of the eyes of the werewolf headed directly towards Moira. I've never landed a shot like that. I smile and turn to Moira to celebrate my small victory but quickly remember upon looking at her that now definitely isn't the time and I go back to drawing arrows and letting them fly as the pack quickly approaches us.

A narrow cave, a pack of werewolves, and three bodies. Not a preferred fighting arena but none of us seem to be struggling given the tight space. Moira is a natural when it comes to these things, and it's hard not to be impressed with how focused and disciplined Harlan is with those daggers.

We quickly take down three of the pack when one of them finally deals a blow - one of the beasts latching onto my left arm after I'd unsuccessfully managed to kill it with the two arrows currently sticking out of its sides.

Turning to what can immediately set me free I create a dazzling static in the palm of my right hand and quickly grab onto the snout of the werewolf. A loud a high-pitched screech fills the cramped space as the beast's body is shaken by the shock - its grip on my arm faltering and then it collapses to the ground, dead.
"Manon!" I shout as I see my cousin go down. The beast I was fighting took a swipe at me as I was momentarily distracted, but only caught the leather of my armor. I reached into my belt and pulled out one of my silver daggers, thrusting it up into its throat. As it went down with a sickening gurgle, I turned to see Harlan take out the last of the pack with brutal efficiency. Her fighting style was similar to her personality; it was no-nonsense and just business to her.

"Manon, little cousin..." I murmured as I knelt beside her, already pulling the medicine kit out of my bag. "Are you okay? Feel any hair growing in places it shouldn't?"

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Corvos Consolari *CLOSED*

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus