Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Great War

The White King (played by Starksinator) Topic Starter

The White King growled and the energy around him and the Hanged Man became thick with invisible darkness. The white glow returned to the King's eyes, a power building up inside that would be sent into the Hanged Man's chest that would squeeze the breath out of him briefly. This wasn't the first time he had done it, as it was a common punishment. "I want four a day. I want the women and children present and watching. I don't care if you have to force them to watch. I want it clear that it will continue until the man is found." His eyes died back to their normal color and power. "Actually... I have a better idea. You are to order your finest men to gather as many people as you can into the square. The streets out will be blocked by shields. You personally will select a father every six hours. He will be your victim for the execution. Let the prisoners rot."
Verlin Calder (played by koroni)

Ver took a moment to take in his sudden change of surroundings. His eyes fell on Freya and he raised his hands in a sort of mock surrender. "To be completely honest, madam, I can't vouch for this creature's trustworthiness, so please don't take my presence as reassuring." He cracked an uncertain smile. "In other words I have no damn clue what's going on. Be careful."
Apparos (played by Vistriai)

"This creature, as he so kindly put it, means no harm. That is, unless you wish harm upon yourself. I assure you, I can pierce right through your guards' armor if push came to shove." He sent the guards a cold stare. "So, as I said, I wish for this to be private. Remove your guards, or remove that blasted charm of yours."
Mia (played by emilyn8522)

Mia got up and paid. She collected her satchel made sure her father's sword was still sheathed on her back. After putting on her hood, she walked out of the tavern and to the market. She spotted to kids begging for scraps. Pity filled her and she bought to apples by a nearby booth. She squatted down to the kids level and smiled, and held out the apples for them. They thanked her and dug into the apples. Mia continued on her way.
Eddard McTavitch (played by Starksinator) Topic Starter

Eddard looked over a stand that had multiple pelts that were on display. He ran his hand over them and settled on a wolf pelt with the head that could be used for protection from the rain. It looked like a traditional Viking apparel piece that reminded of him, so he bought it. Turning his head, the massive Highlander looked over people's heads and saw a woman giving apples to kids. The thought put a smirk on his face. He turned back to the vendor and purchased a knife with a hilt of antler. He waded through the people and stood next to Mia. "You were at the tavern, weren't you?" His Highland accent thick on his tongue as he gripped the knife behind his cloak.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The Hanged Man faltered for a moment as the breath was crushed out of him. "A-ah, s-sire ..." His eyes closed as he rode it out, waiting to breathe again. The sensation was something he almost looked forward to, for he associated it so closely with the king and his magnificent power. His pale gauntlet settled on his breastplate, chains clinking.

When air returned to him he inhaled raggedly and took a moment to regain his composure. "It ... it will be done as you desire, my king ... exactly as y-you wish ..." He bowed deeply, his blond hair falling down around his face. "By your leave, sire ..."

Provided the White King dismissed him (if not, he would remain squarely in place), the pale knight put on his helmet and left the throne room. Immediately he began to bark orders. "Wynston! Rouse Margitte and have her assemble the brigade! We have orders!"

In half an hour, the brigade was marching through the gates toward the Alabaster Square, four hundred swords strong. The rumble of their footsteps echoed like an earthquake down the streets and alleys of the city. People fled--they did not know yet what transpired, but when the King's swords mobilized, death was sure to come. Overhead flew a crow, feathers white as snow and eyes red as blood. It followed the Hanged Man quite often, lending him one of his nicknames.

As they marched, the brigade fanned out, sweeping the streets to round up a herd of frightened citizens that was ushered towards the Alabaster Square. This commotion spread across the city on the wings of rumor; one of the merchants near Mia and Eddard suddenly began to pack up her stall, muttering something. "Not going to be caught in that mess, no, gods preserve me ..."

"I was, and by the way put the damn knife away, there's kids here." She glared at him and turned her attentions towards the incoming people. She saw a merchant trying to quickly pack her stuff up. Mia swiftly walked over and began to help her.
Freya (played by Raider-jack29)

She sighed and asked her guard to stand in the hall.
Returning to the duo she asked with a sigh "what be your request of me reaper? My time is precious to me as these coming days hold much chaos for this land."
She simply stated as she went over to the bedside table and watched the candle resting upon it which inexplicably lit itself as the sun sank below the horizon
"'Ahh 'tis now dusk and a man wanted for crimes he had not committed and his priestess lover, along with their son, have made it to their safe haven beyond the sea. Does my heart good to know some have a happy ending in life."

"I've come to see if the two of you would be interested in finally breaking the shackle of the kingdom's freedom that is the Order of the Bent Knee. I don't suppose you've heard of them lass, you came from overseas this very day. They're the enforcement of the King's will. Not a very nice bunch, and they're led by a fierce warrior only known as the Hanged Man. But it seems that there's a flaw in said leader." At these words, he flashed an image of the mass of energy into Ver's mind. Freya, however, could not receive it, so he continued.

"From the looks of it, the Hanged Man isn't doing things of his own will. Suppose what would happen if the leader of the most feared soldiers in the kingdom was freed from these bindings. It would most certainly stop what's going on down there." He motioned towards the streets, now filled with the glinting swords of the brigade.

Apparos' eyes went black as he went through the minds of the brigade. "And it looks to me like they'll murder every last person here, because of a single escaped man. A man with only one ear. Weren't you saying something about 'helping' an innocent man?" His eyes turned white before speaking again. "If we free the Hanged Man from whatever's holding him prisoner, that'll all be stopped. So, do you join my cause?"

"Stop that," grumbled a Ver, putting his hand over his eyes as if to block out the image of the Hanged Man. He dropped the hand, however, to gape at Freya. "You helped him escape? He's a murderer and rapist, madam, and has obviously done something to bring on the wrath of the Bent Knee."
He turned full around and hurried to a window, looking to catch sight of the apparently oncoming Order. Instead, he saw the square below beginning to writhe in fear. He looked back at Apparos, urgency in his gaze. "I'll help you, phantom. I hope you've got a plan to stop this."
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The woman that Mia helped was a middle aged potter, her skin the color of baked clay and hair pale and silvery. She shied away and looked at the girl hesitantly. Doing trade in the capital had made the woman paranoid--people were constantly turning rivals and enemies in to the king's soldiers for imagined infractions. Yet her fear of the immediate won out, and she allowed Mia to help. "Thank you, child," she said as she stacked stoneware plates onto her rickshaw. "But you and your man had best escape here quick as rabbits!" The potter wasted no more time on words. As soon as she could, she picked up the handles of the rickshaw and jogged away from her empty stall.

But it was too late. The brigade was already closing in, ushering a throng of confused people towards the center of the Alabaster Square. Every street was blocked, choked by guards and citizens alike. Forced to abandon her wares, the potter was swept into the crowd--soon Eddard and Mia would be, too, unless they devised a way to escape. It wasn't the entire city that was being rounded up, after all--just this section of the merchant quarter.

A young boy thought to scramble up onto a rooftop. A bowstring twanged and the boy fell, an arrow in his back. He was soon trampled underfoot.

The Alabaster Square was actually more of a circle, a hundred meters in diameter. Merchants were not permitted to set up there, though it was still a common crossroads. At its center was a raised platform bearing a five-meter-tall statue of the White King crafted from marble. The Hanged Man stood at the statue's feet, one arm looped protectively around its leg, and watched the soldiers closing in. The square churned with motion like a net being closed on a school of writhing fish.

But there was another figure on the platform with him. She was nearly identical, though instead of a tower shield she carried a flambard. Her armor and commanding stance could only mean that she, too, was a knight of the Bent Knee.

"I read minds Scales, I don't look into the future and plan for things that happen in mere moments. I suppose an adventurer like you has improvised before, and the lass has had her fair share of skirmishes as well." The amulet around Freya's neck caught his attention, and his eyes shone with a newfound confidence. "Well well, thought I had seen the end of those. Looks like we found a half-dragon Scales. Perfect for drawing the archer's fire. And as for me, I'll be dealing with the guards on the streets. I wasn't lying when I said I could pierce through armor. And Scales, that leaves you with those two." He gestured towards the Hanged Man and the woman standing on the platforms. "Two against one doesn't seem so bad after you've fought a dragon, now does it? The Hanged Man doesn't even have a sword, just that shield. That perfectly meltable shield." He redirected the portal into the street that was bustling with citizens just minutes ago. "And if one of you doesn't make it... I'll see you down in the underworld." And like that, he sped through the portal like a clipper on a storm wind.

"That is no suitable plan if he wishes to start a rebellion, he lacks so much tact for an assasin,In the square."
She motioned to the outside of the window.
"They'll be holding public executions soon, large scale ones. I can replace some of the men with life like golem copies.
We will do so every time they hold public executions. And you-"
She said pointing to ver
"Will teach them as much combat as you can, as we gain more men we will also gather trained soldiers. Older ones the king as weaker control over, he-"
He began motioning to the spot where apparos once stood
"Will bring messages between soldiers, and tie up any loose ends so to speak.

While I myself will do as I came here to do and continue on to the castle as an emissary for trade negotiations, passing on information to the rest of the group."

The phalanx of guards that was forcing the citizens into Alabaster Square did not notice the phantom sprinting towards them until it was too late. With one fell swing of his talons, Apparos ripped through the armor of three guards at once, severing their spinal cords and killing them instantly. As the other guards turned around, he swiped at them, sending them flying into the surrounding buildings, falling limply to the ground. He swiftly dodged the spear that was thrusted at him by the single remaining guard, and slammed the fool into the ground, knocking him out.

Apparos looked back at the portal: Neither Ver or Freya had come through yet, and he needed them for the strategy to be successful, as he was garnering attention from the other guards and archers. His eyes flashed black as he communed 'Scales, I need you and the lass down here right now.' He redirected the portal behind him to the archers' posts, and quickly made his own gateway to the other streets. Peasants and merchants poured through the unguarded alley as he stepped through, a murderous gleam in his eyes as the guards readied themselves for combat.

Ver flinched, but didn't argue with Apparos. He left Freya behind and broke into a sprint through the portal, dropping his bag on the floor of Freya's room. A path lit up through the crowds - a low fire began burning on the street that led from him towards the Hanged Man and his associate on the statue. The fire flared up and dimmed with Ver's breath and alarmed citizens pushed away from it.
While it was an effective way to clear the way, the glowing path wasn't exactly stealthy. Ver set his sights on the Hanged Man and didn't bother going for his sword as he ran.

Mia watched as Ver ran towards the Hanged Man. She quickly leapt into action, putting her hand out she used some of her light magic to temporarily blind the Hanged man and his associate. She pushed his associate into the fire while they were blinded.

Freya sighed as she witnessed the events below, she then with the wave of her hand made a copy of herself and made her appear to be resting on the bed in a quiet slumber.

Then she proceeded to change her own appearance, now she looked as if a normal peasant woman with brown hair and green eyes, dressed in tattered rags.
Stepping through the portal, she used small flames to ignite the bowstrings of the archers bows. When this happened, the bows began to slowly disintegrate, hopefully with enough time for any of them with common sense to drop the weapon.
Crystal (played by Princesslilly27338)

(Raider and vistrial were supposed to be roleplaying in pm I haven't gotten mail from you two yet )

As Apparos tore through the guards street by street, he looked up and saw the archers panicking as their bows went up in flames. Sure, there was no dragon soaring around the square, but the bowslingers were subdued nonetheless. Ver was running towards the Hanged Man, a trail of fire in his wake, and close by was a girl he recognized as the one with the dragon from the tavern.

As the final barricades of guards either retreated or fell limp beneath him, he called out to Mia. 'I don't know why you joined in, but use that dragon of yours!'

She nodded and whistled a high pitched tune. Tawny darted out and turned from his tiny size into a giant dragon. Tawny flew up and spat fire down at the remaining archers, burning them alive. He landed with a thud next to Mia, who drew her sword and hopped onto his back. "What next?" she yelled over to Apparos.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Great War

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus