Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » [Closed Rp] Trip Around The Marigolds

Alex (played by euchred) Topic Starter

Alex looked at the pots, getting up, but on his knees, and moving over to them with the tea in hand. He put the cup down and dug a hand into the soil, frowning at the moisture content, or the texture, but turned his head and sighed.

"It's not perfect, but it will do." He said softly, taking another look at his tea before pouring it into the pot, and mixing the dampened soil around with his free hand. "Marigolds are fairly simple to grow once they get to a certain point in their lifespan..." He said, fluffing up the soil for a moment.

His brow furrowed and he smiled a little, nodding. Alex did forget, that not everyone knew about him, or what he could do. Everything was normal for him.

"They thought this is what I wanted when... I was upset last night... It's... Damn right parasitic." He said, sighing. "It's going to hurt to pull them out," he admitted. "But once I get the roots out, I'll be fine."

"Does that mean you're not a standard person?" Alex smiled, looking at his hand again, pulling at one of the longer branches into his arm, the deeper roots attached slowly wiggling out with what he was pulling.

"No, my... My body was already not as stable as I'd like it to be... And my mind..." He closed his eyes, cringing as he pulled the roots out of his hand like a bandaid, moving on to the other one. "I've not been like this for long, so... I wouldn't know the correct reason. But... They seem like they just want to help, they just don't... Know how."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

Rye gave Alex another apologetic smile, "Sorry. If there's an opposite of a green thumb, I have it." He watched Alex mix the soil, curiously tilting his head. At least he could use it and the pots could finally be used for something.

The demon gave his guest a strange look. He talked about the seeds like they were a person. Then again, maybe it was just his strong love for plants that he gave them a personality? He couldn't be sure, the guy was all kinds of weird. Then again, as Alex kinda pointed out, wasn't it odd Rye was accepting this so easily?

He shrugged, "I don't consider myself to be. I've seen some shit. Nothing like you, granted, but enough. There are things even humans can do to themselves that demons with all their powers wouldn't try." Rye flinched at seeing Alex peel out the roots from his arm, unconsciously rubbing at his own arm. That couldn't feel good.

Wine eyes darted up from the arm back to Alex's face. What did that mean, not being like 'this' for long. What was 'this'? His whole plant thing? The fact he was green? He said he wasn't stable, did his heartbreak have anything to do with it? And then he was doing it again, "'They'... The marigolds? And what do you mean by 'not like this for long'? Pretty sure you can't shock me beyond what you have already."

"I've always had a green thumb, perhaps more figuratively before," Alex commented, with a short smile at the green tinge in his arm and hand now. "... I used to be human. Ish..." He said, pulling the last of the plants out.

He had been laying them down, separating each plant that could be transplanted, or pushing away the ones that would he harder to save, before he used his mobile hand to plant them into the pot. The other arm was immobile, and stiff.

"My body had been in the process of becoming like this, but... It was painful... Gruesome." Alex sat back on his feet, pressing the soil down slowly around the plants, his gaze focused on them. "I wasn't myself... Taken advantage of, lied to..."

"The final straw..." He said finally, pulling his hand up to hold one of the blooms of the marigolds; and it seemed mobile with his touch, swaying and displaying possible happiness-- dancing, until his fingers left it. With that small motion, the sadness that had started to encroach on his mind again, and expression, were forced into a smile.

"I-It's a big deal but..." Alex started to shrug, though as he gathered the smaller plants and roots, setting them at the base of those that were planted, his thoughts were still heavy, and burdening on him. "...This is my body now. It's been a short while since it changed, but... That's an infantile age compared to before, I was a young man."

He sat back against the bars, facing away from the view, but brought his arm forward in front of himself, looking at it and sighing. A medium brown bark, darker than his hair leaves, had started to grow over the holes left over, and encase his arm as if to make it look like it were fake, and he could only move it slowly if he wanted to.

"It was going to happen some day, anyways. But if something shocks you, believe me, I'm not aware that it's possible, either..."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

No shit he had a green thumb. In both ways. His thumb was literally green and he had flowers growing into him without the need of soil. Rye resisted the urge to make a smart remark, only continuing to watch and wince at the man pulling actual roots out of his arm.

Wait. Used to be human? Rye's eyes slowly traveled back up to Alex's face, listening silently while he explained. Well, not so much explained as remembered random tidbits. It only slightly painted a clearer picture. He watched the flower dance, clearly amused. Was he puppeteering the plant to do that?

So this was the stranger's new body? Like, totally different body or just heavily modified? It made sense, Rye just realized that he didn't really bleed when he was cut. Which was very strange. Almost like a tree or a plant, it only damaged him but didn't really look all the fleshy. And what did he have to go through to be like this if he wasn't always?

Just how old was this man because he sounded like he's been through hell and back... and then back again. Rye had opened his mouth to say... Well, he wasn't really sure. Only he was totally and completely distracted by the BARK growing on the man's HAND. Why this of all things held Rye's attention above everything else that had happened, he couldn't be sure. But boy did it. He slid off his bean bag to sit a bit closer, reaching out to Alex's hand without thinking.

He put his fingers against the skin, thrilled beyond reason that it actually felt like tree bark, more confident touches running along the skin. Could he even feel this? The look of awe and bewilderment on Rye's face, even with the tinge of concern, was hilarious. "I don't know if this counts as shocked but... This is... This is pretty cool..."

Rye realized what he was doing after a minute, coughing to the side and slowly retracting his hand, "Right... You've been through some shit, I'm sorry." It sounded so hollow, but what more could he say? "I'm just... I can't figure out what you are and it's bothering me. You admitted yourself you're not human, not anymore... You're not demon I've heard of, and I've never known a human to turn into a demon so... You're nothing I've encountered before." And damn if it wasn't refreshing, however odd or alarming it may be.

Alex couldn't help but grin at Rye's curiosity at his arm. Though it took him a long minute to bring it in front of himself, he held out his hand, uncurling his fingers with tiny creaks.

"I am not a demon." He admitted. "I am not the first, but... I am made entirely of plants now. I can still feel something like organs I used to have..." he paused, putting his hand over his chest, where a heart would be. "I don't know if they are truly there, but I wouldn't need them to survive. Perhaps they are just... ghost feelings, or... exist for comfort..."

"It's a whole big mess that someone got me into before I knew the gravity of the change that would happen. But..." he paused, sighing. "I experience less physical pain now that the change is done. So it was better sooner, than later that it happened. Before something worse happened."

Alex smiled to himself.

"Perhaps I should have prefaced everything with my name... but... All of my dirty laundry was aired in a trial... I have been mulling it all over since, including this change; it was forced.... So what harm is it to tell one more person that I'm a tangled mess of... Plants and problems..."

As Alex held his hand out, it grew moss and mushrooms in small patches between his fingers. He sighed, knowing that his mood was not helping the conversation as it returned to his mind mid-sentences, and in between other thoughts.

"Because you've already seen me falling apart." He started, frowning. "I'm... Alex... If it matters... I'm just... made of a lot of clorophyll and trouble."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

"P-Plants?" His expression was dumbfounded, but only for a few seconds. Because honestly, the more he thought about it, the more it just made sense. I mean, he was a lot like a plant but he didn't think he was actually one. So he didn't have a stomach or heart... did that mean he didn't have to eat? Rye reached for Alex's other arm, gently placing two fingers over his wrist. No heartbeat. He really was a plant... How was that possible? It was easy to accept as true mostly because the proof was in front of his face, but how? He'd never seen anything like it, but it was incredible.

In fact, that awe and wonderment never left his face, even as Alex continued to speak and confuse the demon. Well, less physical pain is always nice- Wait, trial? Damn, this guy had some serious history.

Rye's attention was snatched again by the mushrooms growing on the plant man's hand. His own hands once again curiously touching the moss and bark. The mushrooms were actually pretty damn cute...

Alex's self introduction made Rye give a light laugh, "I'm charmed to meet you Alex. If we're both being brutally honest here," Rye bowed his head with a dramatic flourish of his hand, "I'm a fleshy bag of gross demon blood and insecurities named Rye. And yes, as in the bread." He gave Alex a gleeful smile. Only for it to fade in a few seconds as Rye searched his face, "So... Do you still eat or... Taste for that matter..."

Alex had his hands out to Rye now, a small smile lifting his expression again.

"You might be more surprised than by my body to know that it is rare for me to befriend humans, even though I once was one. I've known demons since childhood. More than figuratively." Alex shrugged, Rye's curiosity, and attitude refreshing him.

"I can still eat. My diet is limited to raw meats, and that which plants can consume-- which is... A lot of gross stuff if I'm honest with you. Anything that is decomposing, or that you would put in a compost pile. I don't eat rotten food though, or consume compost of course, but... A good foot soak of compost tea is necessary at least once a week. I can't be buried, or soak for too long though, I run into the risk of taking root and becoming immobile. And I'm supposed to drink more than a gallon of water or more a day."

"I can still taste things as well. Just... I shouldn't eat some stuff."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

It was actually surprising to know Alex had little human friends. He couldn't be sure how he felt about him having demon friends though. Maybe relieved that he'd be used to him in some ways, but then again, considering the demons he's met in the past... Maybe it wasn't a good thing at all.

"Raw meat... compost? Uh..." This was beyond Rye's element. The only food he kept on hand was stuff that kept for a long while unless he knew he'd be home for a few days. That meant no veggies, no meat, maybe an apple but otherwise... "Maybe I should just hand you some euros and let you go to the grocer-" He remembered the oven being on last night. Perhaps, being a plant and all, he's not good with technology. Or maybe that was totally him being forgetful and leaving it on-

He only ate raw meat though. And plant stuff.

Ok, so maybe he didn't know much about technology. "Mmmaybe I should come with you when you do. I don't have anything here I could use to keep you nourished but I've got the resources to get them." Even as he spoke, his hands were still absentmindedly feeling along the barked skin, less out of curiosity now and more out of the enjoyment of contact with another friendly person.

"Mm," Alex mumbled with a nod at the offer for currency. "I have some coins, but... Well, it's probably unlikely I could use those anywhere but back home. But if you're not busy later, I would like to see what this area has to offer for what I can have."

The touch of Rye's fingers was felt, and Alex didn't mind it. It was strange-- but kind of comforting to be so interesting to someone. It didn't feel like he was being medically examined or anything; otherwise Alex would have snatched his hand away, even if it could only move slowly.

"If I'm... Brutally honest... With other stuff on the clothes line..." he paused, clearing his throat. "I have an expensive taste so... You may have to drag me away if I'm set on something. Although I'm sure I could produce plants, some food, and offer seeds rather easily, I have few possessions otherwise. Perhaps nothing worth repayment."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

The touching was giving Rye a kind of sanity. It was peaceful and comforting. Of course, it was also incredibly interesting that someone's flesh felt like actual tree bark. Was tree bark. And that he was so tolerant of Rye's curious hands.

An expensive taste? Rye chuckled and waved a hand, "I'm sure I can find a way to treat you now and then. I promise I can afford it, don't worry about it. I'm just paying it forward. And I tend to... sit on my money anyway if I'm being honest." Rye gave his guest a small smile, "Don't worry about repaying me, please."

Rye felt something soft brush against his arm, turning around to see a rather ugly, one eyed, flat faced cat sitting on the top of his beanbag. Staring intensely at Alex. Rye waved at him at first, his expression going from happy to annoyed in a matter of seconds when he realized what the feline was doing. "Ah. Meet Mr. Precious. Just ignore him, he's like this with everyone." The cat stared for a second longer before hissing, revealing a mouth full of snaggled teeth. Then he hopped off the chair and sauntered off with his tail high in the air. Rye rolled his eyes.

The demon turned his attention back to Alex, "So. Whenever you want to leave, just let me know. I don't know what rituals you follow to get ready for the day, but my schedule is clear for today." Rye withdrew his curious hands to pick up the cups now empty of tea, getting up to take them to the kitchen. Followed quickly by a sharp intake of breath. Oh yeah. He stopped for a second to nibble on his bottom lip, "Right, um. You may have to put up with me going a little slow when we do go out though."

For a moment, Rye forgot about his wounds. Not that he's complaining. It's nice. The demon walked over to the kitchen to place the teacups in the sink, rinsing them out while leaning heavily against the counter. His muscles were kinda sore, but he could still go out, it's not like he was paralyzed or mortally wounded. Did he still have any ointment for this he could use? Probably not, he was terrible with that kind of thing. He'd be fine. Nothing he hadn't dealt with before...

Alex, his arm stiff and unable to keep up with his movements, climbed the rails behind himself with one arm to get up. Weighed a little to one side because of his bark-covered arm, he stood still for a moment before changing his stature, balancing differently for the extra weight on one side.

He followed after, looking back around for the cat until he say Rye leaning against the counter. Something was obviously ailing him, but... Alex's hair drooped and he looked away, deciding not to bother the other with the matter if he wouldn't bring it up himself. It was none of his business, anyways. As he went over to Rye, looked down at the cups in the sink shyly, what seemed like little white daisies growing up through his shirt, and a soft but sweet scent emitting from said flowers as he was close and still.

"A few cups of water is all I need, but take your time... I don't mind going slow, looking about will keep my mind busy." He said, and his eyes looked back out of the room at or for the cat, as if worried about it.

His mind snapped away from such thoughts, and he rubbed his collar bone, touching the flowers, as if calming himself.

"You've been nicer than any demon I've known thus far... I wouldn't bother you with rushing anywhere for anything unless I needed water..."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

He could feel Alex behind him, but it was the subtle, sweet scent that got Rye to turn around. And his eyes immediately zoned in on the daisies. He perked up a good bit, a good bit of his weight leaving the counter as he turned to face his guest and investigate the flowers growing up out of nowhere. Were there seeds there too, or was it because he was, uh, a plant as he had put it?

He noticed his guest glancing behind him to where Mr. Precious had walked off to, dismissing any concerns, "He'll just avoid you for a while, don't mind him. Just don't try to pet him and you'll be fine..." It was a very droning tone, considering the vast majority of his attention was on the daisies growing up from Alex's shirt. Another curious and delicate hand went to prod, to see if they were actually there, "You're just full of surprises. I thought marigolds were your thing."

Rye managed to pull enough of his sense together to realize and understand what Alex had said, giving him a rather touched and sheepish smile, "Thank you... Right well, you can get all the water you need from the sink here, if you need something filtered I could get something for that as well... I can manage, I'm just sore from my uh... job yesterday. I should be mostly recovered by tomorrow night. I'll be fine."

Maybe it was the flowers or just the general kindness of his guest, but Rye's words fell out more than he thought them as he spoke.

Alex's gaze hadn't come to find Rye looking over the daisies-- it was still looking for the cat. He was worried, almost, but still curious of it's whereabouts-- he did like animals still.

"No.. I'm not bothered by his attitude... You should... Well I'm not particularly sure that species of marigold is what I'm familiar with... It could make your cat sick if he chews on it, depending on which breed it is. The plant, not the cat, I mean."

His eyes went to Rye and he smiled weakly at his comment.

"Marigolds are my ex's thing..." He wanted to say, but only thought it, rubbing his chest still, his hand gentle enough that the flowers weren't bent or messed up at all. Even as he pressed his hand against his chest to get it to stop shaking, the flowers remained. He simply nodded at that he was full of surprises, because the daisies weren't the only thing he could produce.

Alex pulled one of the cups from the sink, trying not to be a bother in Rye's way for too long, rinsing and filling it with water, and just sticking his index finger into the water as he listened to Rye, returning the smile and nodding at him. He looked Rye over as he mentioned his job, but didn't press about it. Even if he were the most curious of the people he knew-- Rye probably didn't want to share that with a stranger.

Within a moment, the water seemed to be gone from the cup, and he filled it again; this would happen several times as they spoke.

"We don't have to go so soon if you need to rest. If I ate a lot daily, you'd see my stomach get pretty big. I can bare with waiting a day or so."
Rye (played by Kuejena)

"Oh. Well, ok, I'll try to keep him out of the balcony. Thank you." The information kind of took Rye by surprise, mostly touched and impressed by his knowledge. Of course, Rye was oblivious to the sore spot he just touched with the marigolds and would be seriously kicking himself later for it. He was still too fascinated by the flowers. It blew his mind, and frankly, he found it to be super cute.

Rye stepped away a bit and gave him some space, letting Alex get to the faucet to get himself a cup of water, only to dip his finger in rather than drink it. But then he filled the glass a few more times, and Rye figured it out. "Oh, so your fingers are kind of like roots..." More telling himself than anything.

The demon raised an eyebrow and smiled, "You don't get fat that quickly from eating all the time." He ended with a chuckle, he knew enough at this point that Alex's body worked differently. This ought to be an adventure, "So what, your body uses nutrients slower?" Rye moved away from the counter and made his way towards his bed, sitting down slowly on the edge of the mattress, "I should rest a bit first or I'm going to really hate myself later. We'll go when I can't stand do nothing anymore. Which honestly won't take long. Being bored sucks." Then again, maybe being bored would be hard with his guest around. "I should probably make a list, get some actual food..."

"I would look as if I were carrying a child if I ate enough, daily," Alex said with a small smile at the image of himself with a huge belly. "I can drink water normally, but it takes up too much space in my stomach, and doesn't go through me as quickly... Really, I think... I think my stomach might be some kind of pitcher plant or... Mm... I'm not sure. Anything that goes in dissolves like a normal stomach though, so the only difference from before is how my digestion works..."

Alex finished with his cup and washed it out once more, following after Rye and sitting next to the bed where he was, putting his arms up over the side and pressing his face into the mattress a bit, looking at the other. His hair coiled up and relaxed, idle in curiosity but he wasn't completely stuck in the sadness that had taken his mind the night prior, at least not for now with someone new, someone to interact with, and someone who wanted to interact with him. Even after seeing him sob and sleep as he had.

"If you have a pen and some paper, I can write it for you." Alex offered, smiling. "I'm sure if you wanted to talk, or ask more questions, that'd fill the air better than silence."

Alex some time later excused himself for more water, and he found himself staring off into the area above the sink, mindlessly sticking his fingers into the water and stirring around until it was almost gone. He left the cup by the sink and moved to the balcony with perhaps a less weighted down pace. He stared at the marigolds through the sliding door, the sadness for them not as deep as it had been before. His attention darted to the ground past the balcony, and he perked up like an excited puppy at whatever he saw.

Alex went back over to the bed, holding his hands together.

“Does the market sell seeds?” He asked curiously. “And if they do, do you know what kinds? I do have something I could offer as far as payment...” He paused, bringing up fingers to put over his chin thoughtfully. “I may have been wrong about before, this place has a lot to offer in terms of distractions. Especially if it’s plants.”

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » [Closed Rp] Trip Around The Marigolds

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus