Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Book Club

TheLily

Now, I believe it is safe to assume that most of us are readers. I dare say all of us have read at least one book. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

Now, I don't know how many of you are involved in book clubs - but every time I try and get in on one in my city, it's full of old ladies who don't want a young'un intruding on their precious tittering on sexy scenes in the racy novels old ladies seem to like.

I would propose that perhaps we have one here! I would love to get together once a month to talk about books we read and enjoy (or don't!) I know it might be hard to get together all at once, so here is what I propose to you, fine people of RPR:

We set up a group where we can have a monthly chat on a certain day of each month and then forums for discussion for people who either finish early or can't make it to the discussion day.

As for books we pick, I would go so far as to suggest that while not ever book has to be current and huge, you should check out if the books are out of print and/or available in e-book format (Not just Kindle format please! I can't even buy a Kindle here in Canada.)

Also, I would like to have two books to chose from a month. Sometimes there is a book that you just aren't interested in reading. That being said, it should be two books the person choosing is either interested in or has read in the past.

If you're interested, drop me a line here and I'll get started. I will even work with just one person who likes reading as much as I do!
Witness

Color me interested, Lily, for it just so happened that I have read a book before! XD In fact, I'm a voracious reader myself, and I would love to see a book club sprout up on RPR; with such a large community of creative folks here, too, I'm willing to bet that quite a few would like to get in on that. If nothing else, it will introduce me to new things to read and new people, and I can't see anything wrong with that. Sign me up. :)
Kim Site Admin

This is a lovely idea. I go through phases of reading voraciously and phases of feeling like I am too busy to read the back fo a cereal box.
*raises hand* Yes please!! I love to read! Read, read, read... I find myself extremely interested in the idea. I would love to find out what everyone else is reading; liking, not liking, and the such.
TheLily Topic Starter

Yay! I will pick two books and get y'all started some time today :) I really think this'll be fun. ^^
TheLily Topic Starter

I'm going to hold a small vote for this. I want to do a teen book and an adult book.

Adult Fiction:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Room by Emma Donoghue

Teen Fiction:

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Legend by Marie Lu
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Lemme know what you think - if no one chooses, I'll just roll a die for it.
Witness

I'm not a dragon person at all, and I've never heard of Room, but I have heard of Ender's Game, even if only in passing. My vote is for Ender's Game.

I'm not a teen, I don't read teen fiction, I didn't read teen fiction when I was a teen, so I'll abstain from voting on the teen book. The vote would have been arbitrary anyway, and I'd hate for the book choice for the young'uns to be influenced by an arbitrary, throwaway vote. :)
I'm not sure I'll join the book club, but I do love the idea of an RPR one.

I also agree with my brother Wit. Ender's Game changed my life when I read it.
DRAGONLANCE!!!!!!!!!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Book Club

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus