Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Famous Last Words

TheLily

and stories!

So, I don't know how many of you play games like D&D, or World of Darkness. Anything tabletop where there is a chance of death on the table. Free-form doesn't work as well for famous last words, because you can choose them, knowing you're going to your death. Or not death, I have one story in particular of my own that falls under this without the character's death.

The inspiration for this is a story I'm going to have Krieg_005 tell you himself, that happened last night at our semi-weekly D&D (Ravenloft!) game.

I'll start my own story first though!

My lovely half-elf character Nis'tianes, (found in my "Others" profile under dungeons and dragons) has several things wrong with her from my point of view. She's got this lovely voice in the back of my head that yells and screams. I'm pretty sure she has a personality disorder. She's insane, and I've got little control of her. I say things I would never say myself and as far as uncontrollable rage - she gets in far more fights than I ever would.

So, many months back, I had yet again split the party because of work related absences and it was decided that Nis would head out on a date with the handsome human noble Radu (It's been months, so I don't remember where he's from, if anyone knows the world. If you do know where he's from, can you tell me?)

Nis is a druid and at the time had a wolf companion that she had to have chained to her while in the city. Radu bought her new clothes and took her in a back door to the theatre. Rather, that's where they were headed when they were jumped. Another NPC came in to help save the day and I, as the player got really excited because this meant I could spend a time explaining to them IC about why I was hanging out with both of these NPC's and complicating my storyline further while keeping control of the situation myself.

So, the man with the knife came at Nis and stabbed her. It wasn't that much damage. I scoffed, "Three hitpoints, that's nothing."

I looked down at my page. When was the last time I healed myself? ... Two sessions before. I hadn't slept in nearly 24 hours. I had two hitpoints and because of the delay in games I didn't remember.

Before the fight even really began I was dropped. Now the joke is when I got into any battle is me scrambling to look at my hit points and heal before I even think of going after anyone. Lesson learned.

What are some of your stories?
Bradiccus Krieglon, a human equally mixed between fighter and cleric, got into a duel with a Falcovnian soldier over some exchanged unkind words in a tavern.

Being of the Forgotten Realms and a self-proclaimed cleric of Kossuth (Koh-sooth)he had approached, drunkenly, the man out of martial interest to exchange ideas... only to apparently be ridiculed for considering himself a warrior like the Falcovnian who was likely trained to fight from the moment he could pick up a sword.
Insulted the two eventually agreed to a duel in the morning in the town square. Bradiccus isn't particularly focused on one weapon type: he carries with him a longsword (+1, Flaming), a battleaxe, a flail, and a bandolier of daggers whilst wearing scale armour and with a heavy steel shield in his other arm.
The Falcovnian wore a good suit of chain mail and used a bastard sword two handed.
Rather overconfident Brad spoke up, "His sword is bigger than mine... somebody has issues."
Despite buffing himself, a shield of faith, divine favour, and bull's strength all boosted with a feat allowing for casting at effective class level instead of just caster level Brad went down... not to say it was one-sided.
The terms: until the other could not rise. Chainmail tore, scale was twisted, blood splattered on the snow. Both combatants wounded but only one went down: Brad impaled upon the Falcovnian's sword and allowed to slide off.
While death may not have occurred it was pretty cocky of Brad on this one... though he isn't ashamed. He believes in taking it all in stride and the fight was a test of his mettle. Clearly needs some practice... that and fighting against an opponent who gets twice as many attacks as you and deals 1.5x strength damage was rather hard to possibly win.
Minerva

When I was GMing Szurane. It ended up not being last words because a team mate tackled him down before he actually went through with it, but...

Dungeon, searching for a legendary item, you know the deal. Volcanic setting, a wall reads with a letter on each tile sealing the door:

A G R E A T P O W E R L I E S
H I D D E N B E N E A T H A C U R S E
A N D O N L Y T H O S E M A Y
E N T E R W H O P R O V I D E
T H E C U R E.

They try pressing different tiles. They depress, but also release an intense aethereal shock that targets the soul with each miscue. The fighter in the group did the eureka fist into opposite palm and declared, "I KNOW, LET'S PUSH THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME!"

... that... wasn't it.

Thankfully he got bowled over. But that is my most firmly remembered one.
I've got a couple of little things I thought were funny from some time I played Pathfinder (D&D basically).

I had a gnome sorcerer with the Fire Elemental bloodline. I ended up making him a pyromaniac for fun and to keep the group on their toes. I remember one time the group had split up to attack a group of NPC's that was being attacked by another group of NPC's. We had some of our own with us and the group went one way and I stuck with all of our guys. Apparently the group I was in managed to garner more attention and had a fireball hurled at it. I lived thanks to my gnome's fire resistance but everyone else got turned into ash. I just had the funny mental image of a gnome standing in the middle of a crater covered in ash and on fire.

He also had a penchant for drinking which was fun but often made him get carried away with things. Like when he started to walk back to the inn and one of my friends came running up and told me to shoot the person who was chasing them. The entire city had wooden structures and drinking doesn't contribute to accuracy. So needless to say a few scorching rays and fireballs later I've set about 25% of the city ablaze because I refused to stop til I hit the bugger. I don't think they managed to get it put out in time.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Famous Last Words

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus