Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » 'played by...'

Minerva

I know we can make our characters anonymous. In doing this, they don't show up on our main profile and when we post on the forums it says 'played anonymously'. However, what about people who want a character listed on a main account, but don't necessarily want everyone on a particular website we're linking to our profiles from to know we're the player?

One of the sites I go to is extremely cliquey. Be it for better or worse, when you're recognized, your character's reception changes. Sometimes I like being anonymous, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to hide that from RPR, or not have them displayed on my character list, because I might WANT to just link someone to my list and say "hey, here's my characters."

It'd be nifty if there was some option to click in building a character so it doesn't say "played by Minerva" under, say, Raphael Emmerich's name on my page, without me having to hide him on my list. Sorta... demi-anonymous. Just something that doesn't link straight back to my main profile like "HEY WORLD, HERE I AM!"";
Sanne Moderator

To make sure I understand correctly, you'd want for a character to be listed on your player profile, but when you look at the character profile itself it will not say "played by Minerva"? Would the characters still be listed as anonymous on the forums or would the forums bear the player name?

I don't know if that will be of value to other members, or if Kim wants to implement this as a feature, but you can in the meantime do this manually of course. :) There's nothing stopping you from putting a list of anonymous characters you play in your profile description (you can use collapse tags or bulleted lists to make it more organized) for the time being.
Kim Site Admin

I understand the desire for this, but it addresses a fringe case I'd rather not put programming time into, and introduces an unnecessary element of complexity into an already sometimes misunderstood feature.
Minerva Topic Starter

Huh. I wouldn't have thought it such a niche feature. As it was, I was invited here by people who went to that chat system, and have invited about twenty people over from it (albeit not all active forumites)... and I've encountered similar things in other systems. For better or worse, reputations tend to procede people.

Hrm. I might end up doing that collapse list... thing.
Claine Moderator

I have a workaround I believe would work. If you have Epic Membership you could create a template and set playedBy as display: none, maybe.
I think there is option "Hide the basics? (Name, player (if public), and gender)" tickbox in info gadget you add to profiles. Okay, it takes gender off and name, but you can add those as custom lines of your own. Not exactly sure this is helpful, but you know, was worth giving a try. (If you just want your player name out of character profile, but character listed in the user profile)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. There is another line for 'played by' in profiles. Dx Sorry!
Sanne Moderator

Claine wrote:
I have a workaround I believe would work. If you have Epic Membership you could create a template and set playedBy as display: none, maybe.

That's a good one Claine! I tested this on Warner with the following code in the CSS:

Code:
#playedBy { visibility:hidden; }

Two notes of interest: display:none; might mess up templates because it removes the element (and shortens the page), while visibility:hidden; actually hides it but keeps the layout unchanged. Please also note that the ID #playedBy needs a capital B. A lowercase b won't work. :)

Also, it's important to note that "played by Sanne" is still visible in Warner's page source code. So technically you can still find out that I play him even if it's not visible on his page.

Minerva wrote:
Huh. I wouldn't have thought it such a niche feature. As it was, I was invited here by people who went to that chat system, and have invited about twenty people over from it (albeit not all active forumites)... and I've encountered similar things in other systems. For better or worse, reputations tend to procede people.

Even though this won't be a feature added, there are two ways to achieve what you want without an official demi-anonymous feature, so I hope that will help you manage your characters to your specifications after all. :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » 'played by...'

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus