Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What do you do to stay energetic?

Sanne Moderator

I'm not talking about truckloads of energy drinks and sugar, but things in your life that keep you motivated and fill you with energy when you do them. :) I'm trying to figure out some things to help my general health as I have trouble sleeping/feeling refreshed after a sleep and trudging through the day.

Plus it's always fun to share tips and tricks!
Hi Sanne,

I might recommend trying to write a novel during the month of November. NaNoWriMo (www.nanowrimo.org) is great for anyone looking to shed 50,000 words in 30 days and absolutely perfect for someone unable to sleep. What better way to be productive AND stay up all night than to bang out 2000 words a day/night? Plus you can spend hours on the forums, lurking, posting, chatting...it's great fun and rather addicting. You can spend the rest of October figuring out a plot and whatnot but the only catch is you can't actually start writing the novel until November 1st. (I tend to stay up late on October 31st so I can bash out the first few words on November 1st at 12:00:01.)

If you'd rather NOT write a novel, some things I like to do is read, crochet/knit, write whatever comes to mind, listen to music, watch movies, or learn Greek. (Yes, I'm teaching myself Greek.)

The other thing that keeps me energized is taking Roo out for a walk. He loves everybody and he has such energy that it's amusing. In the past though, fish have made for excellent "pets". Beta fish (siamese fighting fish) in particular are quite simple and they're fun to watch
Believe it or not, playing video games helps me. Especially fast paced ones, because the action ramps me up. Also, I agree about the fish. I have found that since the Captain and I started keeping fish, I've slept better, as the white noise provided by the tanks soothes me and covers up a lot of the outside intruding noises. I recommend guppies as opposed to betta's, but that's just me. It's also a terrific and slightly addictive hobby that can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be, as well as incredibly expansive, with layers upon layers of depth and intricacy.
TheLily

I've been watching TED talks and sewing while I have free time. It means I can't chat as much, but since my project is really simple it makes it easy to pause it if I want. TED talks also keep my brain working even when it doesn't want to. There are a series of really funny ones on Netflix that are worth a look :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What do you do to stay energetic?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus