Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » [Racing game] Steel Lagoon: Steel Trials

UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Dangercave wrote:
How are we going to race just by ourselves? One of us will die the moment we step on one problem.

No, we will be duelling each other. :D

Duelling in the traditional sense of "Racing together around the track".
Oh. Hehe, in that case. I'm in. Show me yet cars.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Outstanding! :D

Okay, this will take a while now. Need to translate my texts first.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Wait a moment...

Would you like to participate in a prepared tutorial race first, just to get used to the system? You will be drive alone this time, but I'll explain the rules to you while you proceed.
Would be a better way to learn instead of presenting you a huge wall of text, I guess.

You are given a specific car for that.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Cars:

Passant (1992)

Speed: 2
Steering: 3
Weight: 2
Stability: 3
Life points: 40

German sedan of the „compact car“-class and eternal public's favourite – which might, among other things, stem from the reason that he murdered a musketeer in front of a running camera once. He's with 82 years the oldest car on Steel Lagoon and that he's still able to participate in the annual championship like a young buck, bears witness to his quality – if one can ignore the occasional patch of rust on the turquoise paint, the destroyed right headlight which is covered by a black eye-patch and the scar over the left one. Although he isn't the fastest, his balanced statistics allow him to be prepared for the most situations, which makes the Passant popular with beginners, as well as pros. Next to his just several minutes younger „brother“, the Bullet, he had the highest count of championship victories. Thus he's always a favourite in bets.

-Can use off-road shortcuts (-1 speed, +1 damage every event phase off-road)

Bullet (1968)

Speed: 3
Steering: 1
Weight: 3

The wild American stallion among the immortals with mighty power under the hood and the last year's winner, before his driver died at the finish line to radiation poisoning. Produced merely a few minutes later after the Passant, both form the planet's oldest pair of siblings. Although the V8-engine isn't standard and the enormous airscoop might possibly block the view, but a short step on the accelerator is already enough to earn the respect from all bystanders. The Bullet's many horses require a skilled hand though, if one doesn't want to constantly be occupied with turning on the spot. But whoever manages to steer the green rocket's massive power into the right direction, will leave the competition in the dust.

Akina (1986)

Steering: 4
Stability: 2
Life points: 30

Once the unbeaten king of drifting and the star of a Japanese cartoon, his glory faded over the decades. But that hasn't to apply to his driving characteristics: What this Asian hatchback coupé loses on the straights, is made up by his incredibly handling, and even if the tires lose the grip, the Akina glides gently through curves like an angel. Many opponents in powerful vehicles already turned pale with fear, when they spotted this chappie in shining red after a curve in the rear view mirror – in close contact.

Monstr (2009)

Speed: 3
Stability: 2
Life points: 30

The Russian answer to the foreign competition in the sportscar-sector with a very unconventional design. Though the power can't keep up with high quality-exotics and the appearance is misleading, who says that the only thing which counts on Steel Lagoon is the engine? Working together with the pleasantly direct steering, one gets a competitive vehicle in more ways than one, which can outstrip both title holders. And with the Monstr, one definitely attracts attention, especially when the amazed looks of the crowd are reflected on the blue metallic!

-Can't use off-road shortcuts

Agent (1996)

Speed: 4
Steering: 2
Stability: 1
Life points: 20

British elegance with a majestic V8 and the licence to speed. While this coupé of the executive class was never able to be out on behalf of the queen until today, it doesn't hinder him to search for glory in the endless reaches of the universe instead. He flies down the barely used streets of Steel Lagoon in a shiny black, showcases his sporty chassis in curves, and if it gets rough, he defends his position as firm as a rock thanks to his weight of two tons. But as one should as an appropriate Briton, the Agent is too much of a gentleman to fight. If one wants to score a charming victory, avoiding conflicts is the key.

Medwed (1976)

Speed: 1
Steering: 2
Stability: 4
Life points: 60

Sowjet reliability and toughness united in a 5-door off-road vehicle! Where ordinary cars fail, is his turf and wherever it's going to be dirty, he feels like home. His wooden camouflage lets him disappear in overgrown terrain and he really lays into the competition in brawls. Though a bit misplaced on the asphalt due to his weakly engine power, if the Battleship reminds one too much of a rabid T-Rex, but doesn't want to go without the enormous stability, perhaps that driver finds in the Medwed the more suitable car to victory.

-Can use off-road shortcuts

Don't underestimate it, just because he looks like your classic Joke character... if he can hit every off-road shortcut, chances are that he will win.

Battleship (1995)

Speed: 1
Steering: 1
Weight: 4
Stability: 4
Life points: 60

Does he drive with blood? Does he turn every driver into a raging psychopath in no time? Is the russet flame-sticker on the body's black paint indeed an ordinary vinyl or dried blood? Why are you asking that yourself anyway, when you are throning like a king above the road and destroy everything with the chrome-plated radiator grille with the horned skull on it! Born in the Australian Outback, this tractor unit devours everything that opposes it and possesses, thanks to a tyrannical V8-engine, which true power can be unleashed using an ominous „Road Rage“-lever, enough horses to keep up with his opponents. Of course he has the elegance of an oil tanker in curves and is too big and heavy to go on a joyride through the pampas, but these deficits are balanced by pure destructive force and a strenght, which lets him repel almost every damage like it's nothing. Who needs to reach the goal before his competitors first, if one can just squash them like bugs?

-Can't use shortcuts
-Ignores damage lower or equal to the stability stat
-Can't use slipstream
-Can't be overtaken outside of event phases
-Immune to „Stop“-effects
-Inflicts 5 points of damage (With reduction) to every opponent on the same position during the battle phase

-Road Rage: Can be activated at the beginning of an event phase. Sends the Battleship into a rage.
Effects:
- +2 points of damage, immediately inflicted without reduction.
- Ignores every damage caused by events
- Advances 2 positions during the battle phase automatically (Even when no opponent is in reach) and can inflict 5 points of damage to every overtaken driver (With reduction). Throw a dice: Result – opponent's „steering“-stat. Success if the result is higher or equal to 6. Reduces additionally the speed-stat of damaged opponents by 1 (Except if the base stat is already 1).
- Road Rage continues until the next event phase but one and needs a cooldown of one turn

Not available at the moment! It's balanced for the much longer main game and thus would be extremely overpowered for shorter races!

Kōshaku (1998)

Speed: 4
Steering: 4
Weight: 1
Stability: 1
Life points: 20

The fastest car, which ever set Steel Lagoon's asphalt on fire – even the pirate army's Ochotniks have trouble to catch up with him. This Japanese beauty with road-homologation brings the lavish power of the Le Mans-version from the racetrack on the streets and leaves the competition behind like they would be standing still. This missile of course has no business being off-road just like the prototype and the aerodynamic body reacts very sensitive to collisions. But if you aim that your opponents only remember you as a red spot in the distance, while you are practically glued to the asphalt in curves, then the Kōshaku is your number-one choice.

I think I'll go for the tutorial race first.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Wise choice. :)

But to make the tutorial work, I'll have to godmod to properly introduce you to all elements. Is that alright for you?
Go right ahead. This is a tutorial after all.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Let's-a-go!

To make it easier to understand the tutorial, I'll use the following formats:

Italic text: Simple fluff and storytelling.
Bold and underlined: Important stuff!
No format: Explanations.

You wake up.
A grey, plain steering wheel in front of you, bearing the red-eyed head of a wolf on the right as the make of car, a battered radio and several rotary knobs just for the air-conditioner, welcome you in these...
Lush, green plains, right under a night sky with an astonishing view of the endless reaches of space. Millions of stars twinkle high above the planet, drawing a perfect painting in cooperation with some colourful nebulas in all shapes and sizes.
And yet, the plains are illuminated like on a sunny day, making headlights not needed.
A wide, straight road extends into the distance, vanishing into the horizon; the wet dream of every racer, who just wanted to experience the joy of speed, without having to worry about rules, obstacles and opponents.
Suddenly, a young man, according to the voice, sounded through the radio and said, “Hello, hello?! Well, if you're hearing this, chances are that you have recently decided to participate in the Steel Trials. No idea if you are doing this just for fun or to actually train for the championship in the hopes to win your freedom, it's none of my business, your choice, you get the deal, uh, um, yeah.” He proceeded to clear his throat and chuckled nervously, until he continued: “Anyway, as I have nothing better to do...” The man then added quietly “Other than watching Steel Lagoon going to Davy Jones' Locker under the reign of this insane governor...” before carrying on: “I have decided to show you the ropes in a safe environment. Safe in the sense, that nobody will remember you as that dumbass who trashed his car in the first turn. Because this here is a secret location far away from civilization, which I simply call "The Shortcut", and I'll make a real pro out of you, so let's get started, fellow mariner!”

A bit of incomprehensible mumbling later, he got back to the driver and explained with a stuttering voice, “O-o-o-okay, um, yeah, what now... Oh yeah, if you are asking yourself, how on earth you got here in the first place, and let's be honest, this is a very good question, then let me tell you this: It's a dream! Surprise, surprise!” After that he laughed like he made a good joke, but stopped himself quickly with some coughing, apparently due to the missing feedback. “So you better don't try to wake yourself up, because not only is it hard for me to even reach people in their sleep without that witch noticing, you'll probably only wake up to the realization that there's just another day in the mines or factories waiting in the real world. Oh right, and you likely won't have gotten better at driving. So please only use your hands to operate the car, alright? Good.”
A long, indecisive “Uuuuuh” later, the man then said, “Now, see, our buddy here, the Passant, volunteered to assist me in my lesson! Say hello to our new driver!” Without any input, the vehicle suddenly honked its horn. “Great, he's ready! And since this is a dream, he doesn't care if you turn him into a burning heap of scrap metal! Because otherwise, if you would crash him by pure lack of experience or just because you feel like it, he may become... angry, to say the least.” The Passant honked its horn again. “Relax, we'll start right now. Okay man, I think you know how to drive at all, otherwise you wouldn't be here, right? I'll count down from three and if I say “go”, then, uh, you floor it, I guess. Soooooo...

Three...two...one...

Go!”

Your car for this tutorial:

Passant (1992)

Advancing in the race:
Imagine a race being a large game board with spaces, and the players as the game pieces. Every player has to traverse this board in the hopes to reach the last space – the finish line – first.
But instead of simply throwing a dice to determine how many spaces you advance in your turn, you use your car's Speed-stat.
As a rule of thumb: Your Speed-stat equals the number of spaces you advance each turn.

In that case, your car has the Speed-stat of 2. So you would advance two spaces each turn.

Everything clear so far?
Crystal clear

(Btw, are the cars actually alive)
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Very good, then we can continue! :D

Sort of, yes. They can't speak (not even with the help of the radio) and you won't find organic parts if you take them apart. Also, you will very likely only discover their sentient behaviour when you aren't looking, after sunset or deliberately want to damage them. Other than that, they are standing around all day like perfectly normal cars.
But it's an open secret to every inhabitant here.

So while playing, their sentience has no effect on gameplay. It's just for storytelling-purposes and will only come up rarely, if ever. ;)

Next step:

Challenges:
The game's central element. Each round will provide a challenge for every driver to overcome and can make or break their race. To determine their success in handling them, the players have to throw dice, with modifiers dependent on their car. Every challenge will present you with either obstacles, choices, or even opportunities to gain advantages over your opposition. They additionally offer you various ways to attempt them, tied to the car's stats, with specific results on what your dice show.
The effects can go from overcoming obstacles unharmed, to reducing your Speed-stat, thus affecting the number of spaces you can advance in this turn, and even damaging your vehicle. And much more.
Rule of thumb: Every challenge has conditions for success and failure.

For this game, we exclusively use dices with six sides!

Let's take a look at our first challenge (They will be marked with underlines), the start. This challenge will always be the first one in a race, and will be done without modifiers.

Roll a dice with six sides:
Success: Advance spaces according to your Speed-stat.
Failure: Stand still.

Success is defined as rolling a 5 or 6. Otherwise it's automatically a failure.

Questions for now?
Nope, all good.

rolled 1d6 and got 4

UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Now for the fun part. :D

Writing posts:
Everything you do as a driver, regardless if you failed or succeeded in managing a challenge or made a decision, has to be written down in a literary manner, "in character". Additional details to make it more lively, are entirely optional.
Note: It doesn't have to be in entire paragraphs. But it would be nice if you could go above one-liners. It is a story told by all players together, after all. ;)

You now have your result of rolling the dice and the opening post. Try incorporating your character! :)

Hint: "Stand still" means that you don't advance in this turn. If it's due to a malfunctioning transmission, stalling the engine or simply missing the starting signal since you are more busy thinking if the stranger is just on drugs, is completely up to you.
Hiro Kazu (played by Dangercave)

He stepped on the gas as hard as he can. The wheel spiraled as fast as it can and the Passant sped off. His eyes focused on the road throughout the race. Although he looked like an out-of-control warrior, he was actually more sane than what you think. All he wanted was his freedom. He needed to find his past, know who he was, and if possible, locate his family.

Even with this noble goal, he was having trouble. After all, this is his first time driving a manual transmissioned car. Yet, he considered it as a minor setback. "Just a car. Just a car. Not hard." He kept repeating these lines in the exact same pattern ever since he got in the car. And oh boy, was it going to be a surprise for him.

He pressed the clutch and proceeded to shift a gear. However, instead of shifting upwards, he shifted downwards, causing the engine to suddenly shut down. He let go of the steering wheel in surprise and kept pushing and pressing every thing around him. "Very odd," he muttered.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Perfect! :D

Now a short word regarding the...

Position-system:
Simply put, this shows your current position in the race. After each turn, every player has to write down their position, regardless if they advanced in this turn or not.
You, for instance, failed the start and had to stand still, thus would be on position 0 after this turn.

An example with your Speed-stat of 2 and some hypothetical situations:
Turn 1 (The start, which you failed): 0
Turn 2 (Passed the challenge without problems): 2
Turn 3 (Passed again without problems): 4
Turn 4 (Screwed up the challenge and you have to stand still): 4
Turn 5 (Passed, but with a Speed-penalty of -1): 5
Turn 6 (Passed flawlessly): 7

Clear for now, before we ramp the difficulty up? ;)

Got it.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Well well well, how about introducing Modifiers then? :D

But first...

"I hope you won't do that in a real race", the voice commented, suppressing a laugh. "But I get it, you are probably nervous, confused, bonkers, yadda yadda yadda. So I'll let that slide, for now.
He cleared his throat, before proceeding, "Okay, let's see how you will handle curves. What? You only see an endless straight? Just watch..."

Suddenly, two kilometres ahead, the road bent to the sides, forming a s curve, with rocky walls growing from the ground to act as barriers and to prevent cheating by simply cutting through the grass.

"Of course you could just try to smash through the walls like a wrecking ball, but believe me when I tell you that the Passant, as sturdy and reliable as he is, won't survive that. And then he will likely never let you drive him again.
So, what will you do? Take them like a pro? Drift through the curves like in some bad cartoon? Or, may the pirate king murder you in your sleep, wallride?

Decide:

With full speed (Mod.: Steering)
Success: Advance normally
Failure: Stand still + take damage

With caution (Mod.: Steering)
Success: -1 Speed
Failure: Take damage

Modifiers:
They represent the stat you have to use for the challenge, in this case Steering.
That means, that you now take your Steering-stat, and roll a number of dices equal to the number next to your stat. Success is still defined as rolling a 5 or 6.

Damage-system:
Each car has a specific amount of life points, which gets reduced by failed challenges. If their LP reach zero, the car is totalled and the race for that player is over.
Should a failed challenge lead to damage, the amount of damage taken is equal to the number you rolled. Should you fail with multiple dices, then you take the highest number.

This is where the Stability-stat comes into play. That is, basically, the car's armour. Should you sustain damage, then you reduce that amount by your Stability-stat (In that case, 3).

Example:
You rolled a 4 and thus failed. So you would receive 4 damage.
But as your car has a stability of 3, you only take 1 point of damage.

Note:
You always take 1 point of damage, regardless if your Stability-stat is equal or higher to the amount of damage inflicted!

Questions? :)

None.
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

This works really well!

So now you can proceed with writing your RP-post, deciding for one way for handling the curve with the story-post in mind. :D

Also, from now on, your post has to incorporate the following things:
-Your current position (You are at 0)
-Your car's life points (After the challenge)
UAZ-469 Topic Starter

Already fed up with the game? :D

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » [Racing game] Steel Lagoon: Steel Trials

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus