Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Real-Life Inspiration

Does this even fit in this forum? I think it does... guess we'll find out...?

OKAY SO! I personally have a few characters that were definitely inspired by people I know IRL! Not celebrities or anything, but actual people I've met over the years, and I think it'd be kind of fun to see if other people do this to, and where you get your inspiration from! :>

Example:
Within my public characters, Kitty has a habit that's inspired by my little cousin! She's almost thirteen now, but when she was a baby, she had her Ellie, a little blanket that acted sort of like a comfort object; It had a little elephant holding the blanket center and whenever my little cousin was nervous, she'd always rub the edge of the blanket under her nose, and eventually it just became a habit. She even does this now, on occasion, again, just out of habit! I've given Kitty that little tick with her rabbit stuffy; It's her comfort object and she can often be seen rubbing under her nose with the ears. :>

Edit:
Another thing - Ever have a sudden burst of inspiration on a character?
Also taking Kitty into account, I had a nightmare one night that I was sitting in a chair, and after some man drugged me with a large bioshock-esc needle, I could see the supernatural. It was honestly terrifying, but the very moment I woke up, I knew I had to make a character from it, and thus came Kitty!
Has anyone else ever had something like this? :>

I think it'd be really cool to see what other people have that's in the same line as this! :>
Is it looks you were inspired by? Personality? Nervous ticks? Humor? To what capacity? Is it the entirety of their character or just a little facet of them? I think it'd be really cool to see. <3
I actually do the same. Allot of things inspire my characters I tend to come up with theit basic shells with music and movies and shows. But people i know tend to draw out their true personality.

I have a 4 year old character who has this obsession with "girlie" things and yet shes constantly trying to be on par with all her older siblings by hanging out with them and playing video games with them. Which is actually based on my niece. Shes an only child and only has one cousin close in age that she rarely sees. When ahe does ahe treats her like a baby despite there only being a year a half difference. She is always constantly spending time with just my brother and his fiance and ahe always thinks shes older than she is (she insists on playing okami and little big planet even though she can't read, and she just shakes my brother and tells him to do it)

I also have a yokai character whom is based on one of my best friends and roommate. I think that one happened because the main character in that universe is very similiar to me, and knowing that his best friend ended up being just like her. It's just easier for something to be believeable when its something you know very well(in my opinion)
Aekra (played anonymously)

While not exactly the same as these examples, many of Aekra's more animalistic mannerisms and even a few of her strange habits are influenced by real creatures and cultures. Right off the bat, he expressiveness with her ears and tail are based off of horses, dogs, and cats. Her habit of drinking tea or soup while it is boiling is slightly inspired by the people of Tibet. There, air pressure is lower so liquids boil more easily, and as such, they can and usually do drink tea while it's boiling.
haunt

not a person but weirdly enough, avery's whole "was supposed to die but didn't, caused the universe to glitch and start screaming" thing was inspired by a real thing that happened to me, lmao. last year i was outside waiting for the bus, and i see this bird in the middle of the road just sitting there. i'm like oh no get up bird but it must have been injured or sick or whatever because a truck came by and ran over it, and i'm sitting there like. genuinely upset and mourning this bird. and then i noticed that everything just..stopped?? the street we (we being my sister and i) were standing by is normally one of the busiest streets in the town even in the morning but there was absolutely nothing after that truck ran over the bird. my bus was at the end of the street in front of a house just stopped and absolutely nothing is happening, my bus driver doesn't normally wait for people but he was stopped in front of this kids house for a good minute and a half or so. like three cars (including the truck) were stopped in front of the stop sign thing but absolutely no other cars were coming down either lane, which is super unusual. so then i turned to my sister to say something about how weird this all was and she didn't hear me at all even though we were like a foot away from each other and i said her name multiple times.

anyways, the rest of the day was really, really weird from then on out. there was a weird gross phantom smell all throughout not only my school but my sister's school as well. the entire day just felt off for really no reason and the weather was super weird too if i remember correctly. teachers i had had all year were acting really uncharacteristically different. anyways i got home and i was like "hey [sister] has today felt weird to you"and she was like "yeah??" so she started telling this all to her friend, who lives a state away, and guess what
1. gross phantom smells in his school
2. before the school day started he looked outside and saw a bunch of birds in a perfect line take off in perfect sync and there were a ton.

so my sister and i were like "omg glitch in the matrix" and i was like "what if that bird,,wasn't supposed to die and everything weird was because the universe was tripping over itself and trying to keep up"

do i actually believe that? nah. but it still inspired avery's nonsense lmao.

edit: more weird details i forgot to add:

1. the smell was in one specific area of our schools (mine was in one corner in the third floor hallway, my sister's was in the gym which is a different building from the main school building, and i can't remember about her friend idk). the smell also honestly smelled like something died but there wasn't any scheduled like,,working on plumbing or anything?? the teachers and other students smelled it too and no one could figure out what it was.

2. my sister didn't remember me saying her name at all when i brought it up later.

3. this was all on may 1st which is such a weirdly perfect date?
DarkCrow Topic Starter

psoliver wrote:
weirdly enough, avery's whole "was supposed to die but didn't, caused the universe to glitch and start screaming" thing was inspired by a real thing that happened to me, lmao. last year i was outside waiting for the bus, and i see this bird in the middle of the road just sitting there. i'm like oh no get up bird but it must have been injured or sick or whatever because a truck came by and ran over it, and i'm sitting there like. genuinely upset and mourning this bird. and then i noticed that everything just..stopped?? the street we (we being my sister and i) were standing by is normally one of the busiest streets in the town even in the morning but there was absolutely nothing after that truck ran over the bird. my bus was at the end of the street in front of a house just stopped and absolutely nothing is happening, my bus driver doesn't normally wait for people but he was stopped in front of this kids house for a good minute and a half or so. like three cars (including the truck) were stopped in front of the stop sign thing but absolutely no other cars were coming down either lane, which is super unusual. so then i turned to my sister to say something about how weird this all was and she didn't hear me at all even though we were like a foot away from each other and i said her name multiple times.

anyways, the rest of the day was really, really weird from then on out. there was a weird gross phantom smell all throughout not only my school but my sister's school as well. the entire day just felt off for really no reason and the weather was super weird too if i remember correctly. teachers i had had all year were acting really uncharacteristically different. anyways i got home and i was like "hey [sister] has today felt weird to you"and she was like "yeah??" so she started telling this all to her friend, who lives a state away, and guess what
1. gross phantom smells in his school
2. before the school day started he looked outside and saw a bunch of birds in a perfect line take off in perfect sync and there were a ton.

so my sister and i were like "omg glitch in the matrix" and i was like "what if that bird,,wasn't supposed to die and everything weird was because the universe was tripping over itself and trying to keep up"

do i actually believe that? nah. but it still inspired avery's nonsense lmao.

This is actually super cool sounding holy crap???
Rogue-Scribe

Do I get inspiration from real
Life people I know of have known?
I do indeed!

Is it looks I was inspired by? Personality?Nervous ticks? Humor? To what capacity?
Yes, sometimes I mash up two of three different people I’ve known into one character, taking attributes from each.

Is it the entirety of their character or just a little facet of them?
More bits and pieces fledged out with some of my own imagination.

An example would be my character Darrell Sanders. I threw him together on the fly as an NCE in an RP and I took the look and some demeanour of an old friend who died in a highway accident in 2005, mixed in some of a couple school parking lot dealers I knew, and topped it off with a guy who had formed a band as a senior (No Cheese Please - they were around a number of years after high school playing the Vancouver B.C.-Seattle-Portland corridor bar circuit) and threw in some life experiences of my own into the mix.

Ever have a sudden burst of inspiration on a character?
Yes! In fact many of my characters are sudden brainstorm creations.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Real-Life Inspiration

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus