Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Travellers (Semi-Open RP between Tara and Catrin)

Tara Ilendi (played by Terel) Topic Starter

The computer paused for a moment, as if considering what she'd said, "You are too smart for your own good, Miss Catrin... I suppose her singing has grown on me of late, but I do wish she'd learn a few more songs." When she asked about visual data he said, "Of course! I have full access to the ship's internal sensors and subsystems. I can perceive anything along multiple varying spectra, from visual light to ultraviolet, to infrared, temperature, spatial distortions at the atomic level and in almost every other possible way. If you think about it, this vessel is quite analogous to being my physical body, if you wished to compare me to an organic of course, so it makes sense that I can see into all the various rooms that make up the ship."

The computer seemed to be rather proud of the fact that he could percieve things in ways most organic creatures couldn't.
Catrin (played anonymously)

Catrin smirked. “My good isn't much of a concern to me. But I think I'll take it as a compliment.” She was rather amused at being able to read an AI's logic. She smiled when he described all the ways he could see things. “So I'm inside your body now. Interesting.”

She paused for a moment before continuing. “So, is there a point in going to see the other bedrooms to choose from, or are they all the same? If there's no point in going elsewhere, what can you conjure up? Can you make a displaying unit from one of the walls, for instance, and show me some possibilities?”

The AI's hologram nodded, "A display? I can go one better." A thin overlay of blue glowing holographic wires appeared all over the room ad then suddenly the entire place changed. Instead of standing in a bare, blank room, they stood in a rather luxurious-looking bedroom. The bed flowed out of the floor, like before, but it was now coloured in warmer tones and it seemed much softer all of a sudden, over it was a bunch of blankets and pillows. The ledges on the other wall were stuffed to bursting point with books, and more were scattered in stacks in various places. on the wall furthest away from Catrin there was a window looking out onto space -despite the fact they were still on the planet's surface - and the walls were covered in paintings, carved figures, masks and all sorts of strange artefacts.

"This, is a holographic copy of Tara's room, I thought I'd show you her's first just to so you what I can do." The hologram pointed to the 'window' "There aren't any actual windows on the ship, since they're structural weakpoints we could do without. Instead I can project a real-time image of the exterior area around the ship onto the walls, which simulate windows. The display, as you can see, can be changed to suit your moods and preferences."

As an afterthought the AI said, "Oh, and when I said I can see into any of the rooms, I do tend to respect people's privacy. I won't activate my visual sensors in the bathroom or the bedrooms unless you speak to me. I learned... rather early on in my career as a military AI that keeping a total watch on all the rooms in a warship isn't always a good idea."

Catrin smiled and looked around curiously when the room changed, she walked over to one of the ledges and poked into a book, almost certain that her finger will go through. She then took a closer look at some of the artefacts, stepped back to take a look at the whole room and shook her head with a smile. “Already I feel visually overstimulated. So many things! Thank you for showing Tara's room as an example, that was very thoughtful. Could you make the walls go into a light blue-grey colour, then show me a colour wheel or some other sort of sampler so that I can choose colours for things more quickly? Also, is it possible to change the shape of the bed to something... rounder? More cocoon like?” Catrin was starting to look of a child who suddenly found itself in a pastry shop and was told to pick whatever they like, shining eyes, cheerful tone of voice and all that.

“How about an armchair for reading? A padded, rocking one, with a footstool?” she asked with a happy smile. “And... hmmm... could you display a real-time image of the current exterior area on that wall?” she asked, pointing towards the wall across the room from the bed. She almost started asking more of the AI, then caught herself and looked at the hologram with a slightly wry, but nevertheless still happy smile. “Sorry. Thanks for explaining everything about the windows and all that. And about not looking into all the rooms – thanks for letting me know. I appreciate having privacy.” She looked around the room and thought for a second about what was missing. Storage. “How about storage? Is there anywhere I can put my things away, apart from the ledges?”

The Hologram, despite its lack of face, seemed to move into an amused posture as she poked her finger through the holographic book, and then eve more so when she bombarded him with requests, "Let me see... grey-blue walls." The hologram of the room flickered and the walls turned to the specified colour, the artefacts and other adornments vanishing. Next the hologram of the bed switched off, revealing the bare metal. As she watched it shifted and flowed, changing shape until it was round with soft, curving edges, the hologram then flickered back into place, accommodating for the change in shape. Finally a slowly rotating wheel of different coloured lights appeared next to the AI's hologram, "And there's the palette you asked for." It said.

It then seemed to consider her request for storage, "Well, we have the storage units where Tara keeps all the... 'culturally significant artefact'... she's collected over the years. I could clear one out and let you use it. Or, if you prefer, I can create some hollow spaces in the floor or the walls and let them open at your touch, they can act as storage spaces."

Catrin beamed when he fulfilled her requests. “Thank you!” She smiled at the hologram when the palette appeared and browsed through the various colours, eventually choosing a deep emerald green for the bed, a deep blue colour for the floor and she also altered the colour of the walls to a little bluer. She asked the AI to change the colours to the ones she selected and looked around the room. She rather liked the result.

She smiled when he started answering her storage question. “I can't see how you manage to fit over seventeen thousand significant artefacts,” she said with slight irony, “into this ship, unless they're pea-sized on average. I don't want to make you clear any storage out... Oh wait, you said you're controlling the software. Then how can you move things from one storage unit to another?” She waved her hand, dismissing the question. “Never mind that. Hollow spaces in the floor or walls will work perfectly well. Thank you for the suggestion. And I really like this colour scheme, and the shape of the bed. Could you change the room physically to fit that?”

The AI's hologram nodded, "Yes, I can change the room to fit, I'll start on it presently. And as for only controlling software... well, I control the software which runs the hardware, so I can, in actual fact, alter the physical properties of the ship to match your specifications, since I control the software that controls the smart metal of the hull." His tone turned to one of amusement, "Just try not to think about what I could do if I turned into an insane, homicidal rogue AI."

And then, when she mentioned the number of artefacts, "Well, we don't have quite THAT many aboard, but I've found some rather interesting ways of compressing space/time with a bit of magic and a pocket of hyperspace intersecting with realspace." He seemed rather proud of the fact, "It's something of an experiment, and I'd say it worked out rather well. Unfortunately since Tara very rarely goes anyway remotely civilised, no one else can appreciate my genius, or pay me a king's ransom for my new technology..."

“How long is it going to take, approximately?” Catrin asked. “I have absolutely no clue what to expect.”

She chuckled when he brought up becoming insane. “Well, you displayed great creativity when you wanted to squish me. Also, are Terelains so advanced that you can tell them not to think about it, and they won't? Usually, when you tell someone, for instance, 'Don't think about a violet rotating ball with pink dots,' they'll have a really hard time not thinking about it. So... was that a gentle reminder that I shouldn't try to hurt Tara, who doesn't seem to care about her own safety nearly as much as you do?” she asked, raising her eyebrows slightly in question while looking at the hologram, quite convinced that Tara's lack of concern about her own safety truly annoys the AI.

She smiled when he mentioned compressing space/time and hyperspace. “That sounds extremely convenient, especially for someone like Tara. Well, I certainly appreciate your genius. And do the laws here allow AIs to actually get paid? Interesting.”

The computer shrugged his virtual, holographic shoulders, "It'll take maybe an hour, a little less if I dedicate a few of my mid-level subroutines to the task." And, as she mentioned his creativity he chuckled, "Well, Thank you, I think... and... well, you can take it as a subtle reminder if you like. I'm afraid that despite her years, my mistress has been too trusting in the past and she has been hurt by it. I have no wish to see her hurt again." And at her question about Terelains being so advanced he outright laughed, "No, they certainly aren't! They like to pretend they're the most advanced culture in the universe, and perhaps they're on their way there, but I don't think 'advanced' is the sort of term I'd use to describe someone ignoring an AI warning them about the possibility that if it went insane it could kill them with the flick of a thought."

The AI then shook its head, "And why wouldn't I be paid? I am, after all a sapient entity and there are far stranger things out there than a self-aware computer. Not all nations are quite so enlightened as the Terelains, and many Senate worlds restrict AIs or forbid them, but luckily my creators, or at least the creators of the computers who created the computers that created me, have a much more enlightened view on Synthetic Intelligences and they tell the Senate where to go each time they complain about how much freedom my kind get."

Catrin nodded. “Thank you. I'll drop my things outside the room not to interfere with your work, and head back to the lounge.” If the AI didn't protest, she did as she said, dropped her backpack, the water bottle and the sheathed knife outside her door, and noted which of the doors was hers before walking back. She turned to the hologram, hoping it would come with her, and she spoke to him.

“So, you going insane and homicidal is an actual possibility? Also... while I'm from a culture where, shall we say, killing other beings is a thing done,” she pressed her lips together, “extraordinarily often, killing a host while being a guest would be very... impolite.” When they reached the lounge, she sat on the chair she had used before (if it hadn't disappeared, otherwise she remained standing) and stretched her legs and looked at the hologram.

“And my own little warning – squishing me, or otherwise doing away with me, would have its own interesting consequences. And Tara, quite interestingly, seems to be evoking some sorts of weird protective instincts in me, so rest assured, I really won't hurt her. Out of interest, though,” she paused for a moment, “if you went homicidally insane, what could you actually do?”

In response to the idea of being paid, she shrugged and remarked, “It just opens up a host of interesting possibilities. Like buying one's own ship and running it, for example.”

The Hologram followed, more out of convenience than any actual need, "It is a possibility, but not a probability. I have safeguard in place to preserve my psychological well-being and, in any case, I am unlikely to be exposed to stimuli that would cause me to 'kill all Sapients'" It chuckled slightly at th concept, "Most cultures deem murdering guest at least o be impolite, but rest assured that I won't harm you so long as you don't hurt Tara."

And, indeed, the reclining chair was still there, so the Hologram stood next to it to continue their conversation, "And as for what I could do... well, a great many things in fact. Detonate the reactor core, overload the engines, smash us into a planet or a star at faster-than-light speeds, or if I wanted to preserve the ship, I could dissolve part of the hull and lock you in that section, at least killing you if not venting you into space... I suppose I could do something similar to the floors and simply bury you in the hull." The AI trailed off, "My, I never gave much thought to that before... it's rather macabre isn't it?"

And when she raised the possibility of buying his own ship, the Hologram actually flickered as the AI's attention was momentarily diverted, "I never thought of that. Hm... a ship of my own, no master or mistress to tell where to go.... and an eternity to travel in. I could convert the whole thing, remove living space and just add in more engines, sensors and processing hubs... It's be like my own true body. Total freedom." The thought seem to appeal for a fraction of a second and then it reconsidered, "But then, it'd be boring after a while. Yes, roving the universe, seeing the sights, would be fun. But it'd be lonely without sapient interaction, and there's something about organics that I much prefer to many fellow AIs."

Catrin tilted her head in thought. “Stimuli, huh? Oh well. Life is a risk anyway.”

She looked thoughtful when the AI was describing all the ways it could kill them, and smirked when he was finished. ”I actually spend a lot of time thinking like that, so it's quite normal to me. Thinking what could be done to me or other people, that is, not what I could do to them.”

Catrin noticed the brief flicker and then she smiled as she was listening to the AI, outright laughing when he said he'd be lonely without sapient interaction. In fact, she ended up laughing so hard that she bent forward and tears started flowing from her eyes. She calmed down a short while later and looked at the hologram while still wiping tears from her eyes. “The reason you gave... is exactly mine for being civil and considering all sentient beings important. Yes, it does get lonely, and boring.”

She sniffed, continuing. “Well, I hope I haven't corrupted you. Still, if you wanted to cause an outrage, you could get your own ship and use it for transportation of organics from place to place, making money in the process as well as getting interaction – although I doubt such an arrangement would be more satisfying to you than being around Tara. But maybe it's something to consider if she ever does decide to lock herself up in a classroom for several years. After all, it's not for forever,” she shrugged, “you can rove the universe, see the sights, then come back and sell the ship, move back to Tara's.”

The AI seemed to consider this, "That's be rather nice actually... Still, you say nothing is forever but I have a feeling that Tara won't be done with her travelling until she's visited every culture in the entire galaxy twice over, jut in case she missed something the first time around or if something significant changes in the interim."

If the AI had given his hologram a face, there'd probably have been a big grin on it as he said, "Still, life with Tara can be irritating, but never truly boring. Not when there are exotic worlds to visit and strange universe-travelers to squish with my landing gear."

Catrin gave out a short rasp laugh. “Yes, that does seem like quite an adventurous existence. And speaking of Tara, is she finished in the shower?”

The AI didn't reply for a moment and then said, "Yes, at present he is sleeping in her bed. The rite she used to bind us to the oath was very tiring. I predict that she will require several hours of rest. In the mean time, I shall begin preparing the ship for launch. Today was our last day of research on this world anyway, and Tara collected he last of the data prior to your arrival. Perhaps, before I start, you would like something to eat? I've already scanned your biochemistry and inserted the data into my data banks and keyed the food processors to ensure all of the food is safe for your consumption."

Catrin nodded when the AI told her that the rite had been tiring, and raised her eyebrows when he told her about getting ready to launch. “So Tara decided to go with a 'a dangerous animal killed her in the forest and left no trace'-type of cover story? She wanted create one, but I suppose I interrupted that.”

She paused to consider his offer for food, not particularly liking the idea of having her biochemistry scanned, but in the end, she didn't say anything about it. “Well, I'm not hungry, but I could have a snack, to try something new. How do I go about it?”

The hologram gestured to the food processor unit near the chair, "Just use the display to pick something and The machine will use a combination of nanotechnology and magic to make it for you from an on-board store of pure elements." The Hologram moved closer to it, "Unfortunately, it is set to a written variant of Low Terelain ad I am not sure if you would be able to read it, coming from another universe and all. But you seemed to have picked up on spoken languages remarkably quickly."

"And as for her cover story... well, you did interrupt her final leaving preparations, so she can just vanish. The locals can make of it what they will." The AI said.

Catrin nodded, got up, walked over to the food processor, looked at it and found that she can read everything. Not that she had any idea why, but it was convenient, so she just browsed through the machine's selection and eventually picked something that was described as a small vegetarian sweet dish with fruits. She located what seemed like a “make this thing” button and pressed it, then took a step back and watched the machine.

A slot in the machine opened and the interior glowed, tiny motes of light shimmered into existence and clumped together in the middle, and then, suddenly the light grew very bright and then vanished, leaving the dish on a small plate just sitting there ready to be taken.

"You have no idea how complicated all of that just was." The AI said with amusement in his voice, "Thank the Younger Gods I don't have to oversee all of the replication processes as well as everything else. The minutiae involved verges on the pedantic." The AI paused for a second and then said, "But I guess it makes sense, Bind the wrong elements together and the tasty meal could turn into a poisonous sludgy mess."

Catrin stepped back towards the machine and took the dish, a little hesitantly, and smelled it. It smelled good! She poked into it with her finger, moving a couple of brightly coloured pieces aside to reveal a creamy substance beneath them, then she licked her finger. It also tasted quite good.

When the AI mentioned how complicated it was, she shrugged. “Maybe I do.” She closed her eyes, focused on the dish she was still holding in her left hand and an exact copy of it appeared in her right hand after a few seconds, completely identical to the first. She blinked, rather surprised, but it didn't really show on her face. She hadn't realized she had crossed a line beyond which all these wild manipulations became possible.

She looked back at the AI. “Hmm. That wasn't too difficult. So you're right, I probably don't know how difficult that was.” She cleared her throat. “Is there a spoon around here somewhere?”

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Travellers (Semi-Open RP between Tara and Catrin)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus