Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Image upload error: "Can't connect to server"

Eric O'Conner (played anonymously)

Trying to upload a picture and it says unable to conenct to server try again later. been three days so far.
Sanne Moderator

That's strange!! If you can, please answer these questions to help make it easier to find the problem:

- What browser are you using?
- Can you upload images on other characters? Or does it affect every single one?
- Is this a character icon, user icon, or gallery image?
- Have you tried a different browser yet? (Think of Chrome, Firefox, Opera)
- Does the rest of RPR function normally or do you have other issues as well?
Eric O'Conner (played anonymously) Topic Starter

I'm using explorer
this only happens on this character since i have no images for my other
this is a gallery image
i have not yet tried chrome
everything else works well.
Sanne Moderator

Alright. Can you try uploading this image on a different character (even if it's not the right artwork, it's just for testing purposes!) to see if it works there?

By saying you've not yet tried Chrome, does that mean you have tried Firefox and Opera already? If you would, please do try to upload in Chrome if possible.

Just tried chrome and i also made a different character to test it on and it was a no go for that too. i never heard of opera and have had previous problems with firefox and no longer use it.
Sanne Moderator

This is really weird, I've no problems uploading to the gallery widget at all.

I'm not the site admin so I can't investigate further, I'm afraid! But we did cover some of (or perhaps all of?) the important steps. We've determined it's not your browser, it happens on all your characters and you're not experiencing any issues on other areas of the site. The feature works for other people. Kim's the one who can look into this and hopefully fix it, but with the holidays she might not be able to get to it right away. She might also miss this topic when she has a chance to look, so I'm going to have to ask you one last favor:

Can you send her a bug report on this page and link back to this topic?

That way it'll be one of her priorities when she's fixing things! :) I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance than this, but this will help get things fixed asap.

Thank you, i will do so right away. thanks for all your help :)
Sanne Moderator

Of course! I'm sorry for the inconvenience during the holidays, I hope it won't spoil the good mood and presents. ;)
Kim Site Admin

This is a known issue. :( Lots of people have been having this problem, some of them for months. In all that time I have been doing weekly batteries of tests, and have not once been able to make this error happen for me in any browser, on any computer, at any time, so I'm at a loss as to what might be causing it. Without a diagnosis, it is very hard to fix.

The different browser trick has worked for some people, but not for others. Some people report it only occurs on certain characters, while others experience it for all characters. It's terribly confusing! =/

All I can say is that the issue is getting lots of attention, and I really hope to have a solution soon! Sorry again to everyone who is waiting on a fix.
Kim wrote:
This is a known issue. :( Lots of people have been having this problem, some of them for months. In all that time I have been doing weekly batteries of tests, and have not once been able to make this error happen for me in any browser, on any computer, at any time, so I'm at a loss as to what might be causing it. Without a diagnosis, it is very hard to fix.

The different browser trick has worked for some people, but not for others. Some people report it only occurs on certain characters, while others experience it for all characters. It's terribly confusing! =/

All I can say is that the issue is getting lots of attention, and I really hope to have a solution soon! Sorry again to everyone who is waiting on a fix.

Thoughts to chew on:
  • I don't know how you edit everything in the backroom, but its not some kind of permissions issue is it? I doubt it would be but this is something I encounter quite a bit whenever I work on a friend's computer with multiple accounts. It would be something along the lines of looking for some kind of approval either from maybe a script or admin-esque account. Something to check when you have the time.
  • I would also be willing to be that some of the errors are caused by the user's current ISP - they aren't doing anything 'wrong,' but things don't always pass through the tubes (thats what the internet is, don't 'cha know?) correctly.
  • Knowing you, Kim, I'm sure you've already don't this, but is the upload function/script in working order? I might test this myself as I've got IE8/9, Firefox (a developers version and stable release), A few versions of Chrome (Chrome, Chromium, and Ironworks). If it is just a browser issue, I'll find it. TEST BED PROTOCOL INITIATED. FUN LEVELS AT 100%!!

I'll poke around with my stuff and pm/bug report it to you.
Sanne Moderator

The ISP thing might be something if you can't recreate it and it only affects some people. For some time, Furcadian players had issues with connecting or uploading/downloading dreams because of that. Still do, I believe.

it was a png image but i changed it to a gif, made it at a 60% size and it worked. felt i should update you. :)
Kim Site Admin

Eric O'Conner wrote:
it was a png image but i changed it to a gif, made it at a 60% size and it worked. felt i should update you. :)

Very interesting! Thanks very much for this update.
I thought I'd chime in on this some more.

Day 1 in Bonebag's Life as a Forum Bug Hunter:

I created a new character for testing some image upload stuff out - Sweetie Bot - but I found no connection issues on any browser I tried. I tested out Chrome, Chrome w/o any enabled extensions, Firefox, a full uninstall and clean reinstall of Firefox, a completely vanilla IE8, and Chromium - basically chrome without all the privacy invasion. I didn't try out Ironworks (another chrome variant) because it's in a bad sector on my hard drive.

I'm no super genius when it comes to networking since I'm mostly a hardware guru and tech support, but the best theory I can make on this is that its either simply an issue with the user's browser - which is usually IE8/9, but we have a relatively large Firefox/Chrome crowd, with some Opera thrown in - or their ISP not playing nicely with your scripts/databases. I'm about as smart as a monkey when it comes to most coding, but the first thing that I might check (and you've probably already done this) is check the script you/we use for image uploading.

My next thought might be its some kind of really screwball permissions issue - but to answer my own question and present another, if it was, then why would it only happen to SOME users, and not everyone? I might go further into this and look at how the browsers handle uploads, as that might shed a bit of light on what the issue is. I wish I could replicate the situation on command. Bugs me that I can't.

Anyways, just thought I'd drop off my preliminary test results, discouraging as they are. Oh, on a good note, the site seems to cooperate with a variety of Chrome extensions. By 'variety,' I mean all 80 of the ones I have installed.

Sincerely,
Ser Bonebag, Captain of the Aerial Combat Squadron (ACeS)

You are on: Forums » Help » Image upload error: "Can't connect to server"

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus