Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Anonymous Characters

I completely respect anonymity of these users, but could we have a way to show that they are online? Similar to what is used for users, just doesn't reveal their identity!
That actually sounds rather helpful. I’m with you on that.
Personally, and I think I'm not the only one who does this, I tend to leave characters anonymous because they're still being developed and not ready for rp or I'm just not wanting to use them at the moment. I can totally understand why you want to see if they're online but I personally would be against this feature unless there was a way to opt-out like we can with our player profiles.
I'm against this. I don't have many anonymous characters, but the ones that I do have anon are anon for a reason, including preventing them and me from being cyberstalked. It's happened to me before.

This might seem like a step towards keeping you notified, but it's a bigger step against the privacy of people who prefer to remain hidden.
Ok then make a counter offer like Pineapple said make it so that you could opt out about being seen online or not without the privacy issues that JayBird is talking about.
JayBird wrote:
preventing them and me from being cyberstalked. It's happened to me before.

Very good point as well! People can argue but if the character is anon how do they know it's you? While they can't know 100% that is you but from writing style and even page layout a person can guess. I've had close friends peg all my anon characters as mine purely because of how the page is coded and writing style.
Nakht (played anonymously)

Pineapple wrote:
JayBird wrote:

Very good point as well! People can argue but if the character is anon how do they know it's you? While they can't know 100% that is you but from writing style and even page layout a person can guess. I've had close friends peg all my anon characters as mine purely because of how the page is coded and writing style.

Re. the part about people guessing by certain cues: Yes, I've had this happen as well.

I personally wouldn't mind an active/not active thing for my anonymous character, but, I'd like to be able to opt out of it as well.
8_Stars_8 Topic Starter

Nakht wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
JayBird wrote:

Re. the part about people guessing by certain cues: Yes, I've had this happen as well.

I personally wouldn't mind an active/not active thing for my anonymous character, but, I'd like to be able to opt out of it as well.

Yes, I do suppose this makes sense. :)
Taciturn

I think having an online status for anonymous characters may be a little against the reason why people put some characters on anonymous in the first place. I know with my anon characters, I don't want people seeing my online times or pegging my roleplay schedule to them, since I prefer to roleplay privately on them and don't want to be harassed about my other characters.

However, if it was given the option to opt in/out then I wouldn't be so against it. Though I'd say the default would have to be opt out so you could then willingly opt in if you want your status to be online, instead of forcing everyone to show up online unless they want to remain offline.
Exactly there’s the middle ground I was looking for Sheogorath.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Anonymous Characters

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus