Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » I want to talk makeup.

Sanne Moderator

I feel like I'm an 11 year old who just discovered this stuff. I've used it since my teens every now and then, but I just stumbled along with no clue what I was doing and finding it too much of a bother, so I never went beyond a touch of kohl and mascara. If anything at all. I'm mostly makeup-free!

But now I am on a serious makeup shopping and applying spree and I've been rambling to my friends about it. Problem is, 85% of my talk-to friends are guys. Who don't use makeup. And who are probably too polite to tell me to get lost when I do ramble to them!

So I guess I'm looking for anyone - men, women, boys, girls, others - who like to talk about their favorite brand of makeup, like to share tips and tricks and so forth. Here are some questions which answers intrigue me the most!

1. What brand of makeup do you use, and do you use it because it's good quality, cheap, or perhaps both?

2. Does it matter to you whether your makeup was tested on animals?

3. When do you wear makeup? If you wear it every day, why do you wear it every day?

4. What sort of style do you go with during a regular day?

5. What sort of style do you go with on special occasions and/or clubbing?

6. What's your favorite color to use in makeup?

7. Do you match your makeup in color or color schemes?

Here's a quick and easy copy paste to answer these questions in a nice format, if you so desire!
Code:
[b]1. What brand of makeup do you use, and do you use it because it's good quality, cheap, or perhaps both?[/b] [b]2. Does it matter to you whether your makeup was tested on animals?[/b] [b]3. When do you wear makeup? If you wear it every day, why do you wear it every day?[/b] [b]4. What sort of style do you go with during a regular day?[/b] [b]5. What sort of style do you go with on special occasions and/or clubbing?[/b] [b]6. What's your favorite color to use in makeup?[/b] [b]7. Do you match your makeup in color or color schemes?[/b]

I'm curious about your answers and will post my own shortly!
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

1. What brand of makeup do you use, and do you use it because it's good quality, cheap, or perhaps both?
I'm a big fan of the Essence makeup brand! They've got good quality in a cheap package (even cheaper in the German drugstores, only a 10 minute drive away) and I honestly prefer their stuff over the more expensive brands. I have a MaxFactor mascara I got as a gift, which is 10 times more expensive, and I dislike it compared to the cheap Essence mascara I have.

Incredibly so. There is simply no reason for anyone to test beauty products on animals. If we want to be pretty through makeup, we should take that responsibility and test on ourselves only.

I bought makeup on a whim before and found out later they test their products on animals, and I vowed to never buy from them again. I'm very hesitant to buy from other brands if I don't know 100% sure whether they test on animals or not.

3. When do you wear makeup? If you wear it every day, why do you wear it every day?
It doesn't really matter to me, I wear it when I feel like it. I think I'm pretty without makeup, and I apply it mostly because it's fun to do! If I'm too lazy I won't use anything, no matter where I go.

Something light and natural, usually brown and cream tones with a touch of kohl and a little bit of mascara. I may, on occasion, go a little more out and go heavier, but I have to be in the mood for it.

Usually a soft layer of foundation with something fun, like purple and sparkly colors for my eyes, a blush and purple or pink lipstick depending on where I want attention drawn to. :) Kohl can be a bit thicker and more dramatic, but nowhere near the smoky eye thing that's currently fashionable.

I really only wear (light) brown, cream and purple. I'm too pale to make other colors work nicely and I am not a fan of drawing too much attention. I may use a pastel pink during the summer days though!

It's fun to do every now and then. Some colors just don't work together and look silly on me, while some colors work well even when technically mismatched. If possible, I like to paint my nails in matching colors to my makeup though. :)

Fun story, I bought two lipsticks and two nail polishes. I didn't realize it at first, but when I got home I noticed I'd purchased a matching color pair of each!
Kim Site Admin

1. What brand of makeup do you use, and do you use it because it's good quality, cheap, or perhaps both? I used to use cheap stuff, but I've been slowly transitioning my whole stash to much more higher end things. They go on better, last longer, and are nicer to my skin. I also find that I can use less of the more expensive stuff, so it lasts longer and over time probably comes out to the same price per use. I'm a fan of Bare Minerals for foundations and eye color, MAC for eyeliners, and anastasia for brow products on the very rare occasions that I use them.

I tend to use Gabriel lipsticks, because they are best for my sensitive skin and don't cause allergy reactions.

2. Does it matter to you whether your makeup was tested on animals? Yes, though the makeup counter is so plastered in cruelty free signs when I go there that it almost feels like an outdated concern... Although I know MAC has been waffling on their commitment to cruelty free over the years.

3. When do you wear makeup? If you wear it every day, why do you wear it every day? Almost always. I often have allergy episodes that make me skin red, and a little bit of foundation can fix that handily. I also just really like playing with eye colors!

4. What sort of style do you go with during a regular day? Usually just a touch of powder and some nude eye colors.

5. What sort of style do you go with on special occasions and/or clubbing? I have no idea what to call any of them. Just whatever felt fun at the time.

6. What's your favorite color to use in makeup? Browns.

7. Do you match your makeup in color or color schemes? I have a wide range. I try to use colors that "go with" what I'm wearing, but don't match it. I feel too matchy matchy overplanned obvious.

Kim wrote:
2. Does it matter to you whether your makeup was tested on animals? Yes, though the makeup counter is so plastered in cruelty free signs when I go there that it almost feels like an outdated concern... Although I know MAC has been waffling on their commitment to cruelty free over the years.

I'm pretty envious right now. There are no signs that tell me whether the makeup has been tested on animals or not over here. I have to track down the website and look for it there, so there's no easy decision to go for different brands if I want to keep this in mind. When I ask employees of the store, they're usually only sure about the store's own brand.

Something that bugs me a little is that a lot of stuff in makeup itself was tested on animals before the makeup manufacturer uses it. It's almost unavoidable for the large brands, so even though they don't on animals, their products may still have contributed in some way. :( Is that the same over there, or is that different too?
Kim wrote:
3. When do you wear makeup? If you wear it every day, why do you wear it every day? Almost always. I often have allergy episodes that make me skin red, and a little bit of foundation can fix that handily. I also just really like playing with eye colors!

I didn't know your allergies were so bad that it affects your skin so often! I'm assuming you're not actually allergic to makeup, are you? <.<
Kim wrote:
5. What sort of style do you go with on special occasions and/or clubbing? I have no idea what to call any of them. Just whatever felt fun at the time.

Since you enjoy playing with colors, are there any particular palettes you've discovered that you think people should try when they go out? :) I have eyeshadows that come in a 4-pack with matching palette colors that work wonderfully, but I may also buy and mix my own. I'm just a little at a loss for what works well together, since I usually wouldn't mix the colors these batches have myself.
MAC. It's really good quality and the ladies at the MAC store are always really, really helpful.

I don't actively look, no, but I seem to always buy make-up that doesn't test on animals.

Sooort of everyday? If I wear anything its just some light, light cover up. To cover up the slight bags under my eyes or blemishes. I'm blessed with some pretty nice skin as long as I take care of it I only ever put some coverup under my eyes. Todays the first time I have worn eye liner in months outside of a special occasion. If my weekend is at home or I'm not really going anywhere important, I don't wear any makeup.

Normally just some light cover up or just some powder. I'll normally do some mascara, using a lash curler, and only on the odd occasion eyeliner.

I don't club! If I do, lots of mascara, lots of lash curling, heavier eyeliner maybe some eyeshadow.

I use a lot of neutral colours because I have no idea what I am doing and neutral tones seem to be easier to work with for me. Greys, browns, copper or bronze. Normally I use a really dark brown for eyeliner.

Nooot really. If I used eyeshadow the colours match or compliment each other.
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
Something that bugs me a little is that a lot of stuff in makeup itself was tested on animals before the makeup manufacturer uses it. It's almost unavoidable for the large brands, so even though they don't on animals, their products may still have contributed in some way. :( Is that the same over there, or is that different too?

I don't know, I've never thought to ask. It strikes me as a bizarre concern, though... Most of the ingredients that are used in makeup have been in them for decades, so I'm not sure why new testing would need to occur. There was time when no one thought anything about animal cruelty and absolutely everything was animal tested, so I wouldn't be surprised if all makeup had some dark history... What matters to me is that it is not happening now, as I believe any company willing to undergo the hassle and expense of changing their ways to be more moral should be rewarded with more business. Does hat answer the question?
sanne wrote:
I didn't know your allergies were so bad that it affects your skin so often! I'm assuming you're not actually allergic to makeup, are you? <.<

My allergies affect every system in my body... I'm not allergic to minerals, but I am allergic to soy and latex, so I have to be careful about ingredients and applicators when purchasing makeup.
Sanne wrote:
Since you enjoy playing with colors, are there any particular palettes you've discovered that you think people should try when they go out? :) I have eyeshadows that come in a 4-pack with matching palette colors that work wonderfully, but I may also buy and mix my own. I'm just a little at a loss for what works well together, since I usually wouldn't mix the colors these batches have myself.

I think what looks good on different people is SO individual I wouldn't presume to give someone advice who I had never seen in person and in different lights! That said, you should look up Michelle phan on YouTube promptly, and watch all her videos. Then be prepared to hold your wallet tight, because you're going to want to spend a ton of money on cosmetics.
Oh I loooveee makeup~

I use a lot of different brands. When it comes to makeup, I don't mind spending a little more money if it's a product that works, and sees me through the day. I go for MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay, Quo, and various Sephora brands for eyeshadow. I find that there's some makeup that you don't need to spend a lot of money on because plain, drugstore brands do you just as fine. I'll spend more money on gel eyeliners or really good 'marker' eyeliners, but it's really limited to just that. When it comes to foundation, mascara, or pressed powder I go drugstore. Face and eye primers are worth investing in, though.
To be honest... no, not really. I don't really think about it when I'm shopping for my makeup, but I wouldn't, by any means, say I'd condone it.
Any day I leave the house, with very few exceptions. I just feel like it's a big part of my day. If I put on makeup it makes me feel that more ready to start my day, and it's a bit of a confidence booster, I guess. Look good, feel good. I just really have fun doing it, playing around with different colours and trying new things for different days. It's satisfying, in that regard.
I would guess that my makeup style is a little more dramatic. It really depends on what I'm wearing and how my hair is. If I just have my hair spun up in a bun or something, I really, really play up the eyes. I go for more neutral shadows on the average day, but I don't mind doing like a bright pop of orange for the shadow if I'm feeling more bold.
Depends on the occasion! I really don't go clubbing, though. I like false lashes and stuff for late nights, and I don't mind a little bit of lipstick or lip stain. For New Years I did these crazy gold false lashes with gold shadow and stuff.
Eeee... hard question. I'll really do any eyeshadow colour if the mood strikes. I like a nice, clean black for eyeliner. Neutral colours, I guess, are staple. Fleshy tones for highlights, golds, browns.
I try to. It's easier if I get dressed before I do my makeup, to match it to my outfit. I do find, more often than not, I go with what'll make my eyes stand out.

I'd say it's really about having fun with it. Being bold and creative when you want to. It does a lot for the face, and can make you look extremely different from one day to the next. That's really what I enjoy about it.

MAC seems like the most popular brand of makeup, wow! I think we have that in the Netherlands too, but it's not as prevalent as, for example, Max Factor and Maybeline.
Dylan wrote:
Sooort of everyday? If I wear anything its just some light, light cover up. To cover up the slight bags under my eyes or blemishes. I'm blessed with some pretty nice skin as long as I take care of it I only ever put some coverup under my eyes. Todays the first time I have worn eye liner in months outside of a special occasion. If my weekend is at home or I'm not really going anywhere important, I don't wear any makeup.

Normally just some light cover up or just some powder. I'll normally do some mascara, using a lash curler, and only on the odd occasion eyeliner.

Skin envy! It's a big plus if you have naturally nice skin though. :) Do eyelash curlers really make much of a difference? I never pay much attention to how curly people's lashes are, and never used them. Now I'm a little curious.
Kim wrote:
I don't know, I've never thought to ask. It strikes me as a bizarre concern, though... Most of the ingredients that are used in makeup have been in them for decades, so I'm not sure why new testing would need to occur. There was time when no one thought anything about animal cruelty and absolutely everything was animal tested, so I wouldn't be surprised if all makeup had some dark history... What matters to me is that it is not happening now, as I believe any company willing to undergo the hassle and expense of changing their ways to be more moral should be rewarded with more business. Does hat answer the question?

I suppose it does! I've no idea why ingredients are still tested to this day, but it could be that with small variations and differences in productions it needs to be tested with every change regardless of if it's been tested before. At least that seems like the most logical explanation when I think about it.
Kim wrote:
I think what looks good on different people is SO individual I wouldn't presume to give someone advice who I had never seen in person and in different lights! That said, you should look up Michelle phan on YouTube promptly, and watch all her videos. Then be prepared to hold your wallet tight, because you're going to want to spend a ton of money on cosmetics.

Now I'm afraid to. XD My net's been a little crappy lately thanks to my neighbors, but I'll be sure to give her a watch. :) I don't suppose you can be persuaded to share some of your personal favorite colors and combinations, regardless?
Ficklerich wrote:
I use a lot of different brands. When it comes to makeup, I don't mind spending a little more money if it's a product that works, and sees me through the day. I go for MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay, Quo, and various Sephora brands for eyeshadow. I find that there's some makeup that you don't need to spend a lot of money on because plain, drugstore brands do you just as fine. I'll spend more money on gel eyeliners or really good 'marker' eyeliners, but it's really limited to just that. When it comes to foundation, mascara, or pressed powder I go drugstore. Face and eye primers are worth investing in, though.

I fear my ignorance surfaces here. Gel eyeliners, marker eyeliners? I know there's the pencil (the only one I use) and the paint that's wet and dries, but uhm... That's about it! I also don't use face/eye primers. What makes it so worth investing in?
Ficklerich wrote:
I'd say it's really about having fun with it. Being bold and creative when you want to. It does a lot for the face, and can make you look extremely different from one day to the next. That's really what I enjoy about it.

I really like this bit right here. Makeup should be about turning yourself into a work of art the way you want to show yourself to the world. I just hope it's not a requirement for you out of shame or fear of being ugly without! I know too many women who are terrified of leaving the house without anything for those reasons, and it's saddening because they're not gorgeous from the paint job, but from their personality and attitude when they look at the world.
Sanne wrote:
Skin envy! It's a big plus if you have naturally nice skin though. Do eyelash curlers really make much of a difference? I never pay much attention to how curly people's lashes are, and never used them. Now I'm a little curious.
They make a big difference! I have longish lashes naturally so when I curl them the difference to me is huuuuge. My boyfriend always laughs when he sees me using them, he thinks they look like a torture device.

And yesss so many different types of makeup its crazy, pressed powder or mineral eyeshadow... which you can mix with water to get a way stronger colour. It's overwhelming. I always get instruction from the MAC ladies. Youtube also has tons of amazing tutorials and information on doing makeup and how to use brushes. There are so many different brushes for so many different things I nearly lose my mind.
sanne wrote:
I fear my ignorance surfaces here. Gel eyeliners, marker eyeliners? I know there's the pencil (the only one I use) and the paint that's wet and dries, but uhm... That's about it! I also don't use face/eye primers. What makes it so worth investing in?

They come up with so many new products every year, it's hard to keep up. The gel eyeliner comes in a little pot (usually glass or plastic) and you use a brush to apply it. It doesn't smear everywhere and you don't have to wait for it to dry like you would for the liquid/paint eyeliner-- it's a lot easier to use, especially if you aren't used to the liquid liner. (It looks like this) Gel liners are my favourite, just because you get a really strong black and it lasts a lot longer than the stick one. The marker ones don't last quite as long on the face, but they're a good, easy alternative to the liquid liners, as you, again, don't need to wait for them to dry. (They look like this)

Primers are just for creating a nice, smooth surface for your makeup. If you use foundations or anything like that to even out the complexion, they're a really good base. Usually they fill in the lines and pores of the face and get the makeup something to grab on to for it to last. I just don't like having to reapply any makeup through the day, so it works for me. Also, my skin tends to be a little more oily in the summer, so it helps with that.
sanne wrote:
I really like this bit right here. Makeup should be about turning yourself into a work of art the way you want to show yourself to the world. I just hope it's not a requirement for you out of shame or fear of being ugly without! I know too many women who are terrified of leaving the house without anything for those reasons, and it's saddening because they're not gorgeous from the paint job, but from their personality and attitude when they look at the world.

I wouldn't say I'm among those women, no. That is very true, though!
woodlands

I'm interested in getting into wearing makeup, or at least, knowing how to apply it so then when the occasion calls for it, I can. Alas, my first attempt yesterday made me look like I'd bruised my eye, and that was following instructions...

Ficklerich wrote:
Primers are just for creating a nice, smooth surface for your makeup. If you use foundations or anything like that to even out the complexion, they're a really good base. Usually they fill in the lines and pores of the face and get the makeup something to grab on to for it to last. I just don't like having to reapply any makeup through the day, so it works for me. Also, my skin tends to be a little more oily in the summer, so it helps with that.

I went out and looked for some primer from Essence yesterday to see if it's something for me. Turns out the base they have went out of their collection beginning of this month! I managed to nab two tubes of their primer in the sales bin (along with some translucent fix&matte powder) and I LOVE how it keeps my foundation and blush in place! :D Thankyousomuch. <3

I'm going to have to find a different primer for when these run out, but I think Catrice's primer will be my next choice. I really don't want to spend more than 5 euros per product, and Essence and Catrice are both budget friendly brands thank goodness. :)
woodlands wrote:
I'm interested in getting into wearing makeup, or at least, knowing how to apply it so then when the occasion calls for it, I can. Alas, my first attempt yesterday made me look like I'd bruised my eye, and that was following instructions...

I know exactly how you feel! The main reason I never wore much makeup before was because I had no idea what to do, how to apply it and it just never looked right for me. When I was in my teens, my face also looked quite young, so heavier makeup made me look like a child trying to be an adult. I noticed that my face looks much nicer for makeup now, which helps!

Is there anything in specific you're trying to do? Do you have any special brushes to apply the makeup with? For eyeshadows I find blending different colors to be the key to make it look nice. You can get eyeshadow brushes that are long and good for blending for a few bucks.

There are matching eyeshadow sets with complimenting colors that make this easier! From that brand and those colors, I have the "To die for" neutral brown tones. I tend to put the darkest brown on my actual eyelid with their eyeshadow brush, then blend the other colors around the eyelid to make it look nice.

I'm pretty sure other brands have these sort of quattro sets too, so you'll probably have ample opportunity to sniff around the store and find something!

Something that's important to note is that your skin color and eye shape also determine how good something looks on you. (In the stores they usually have testers; apply some to the back of your hand and try to blend it to see if it looks good with your skin type) Also, if you're not used to seeing yourself wear makeup, your attempts may look weird or bruised to you simply because it's weird and new to see yourself like that! You might very well look good with it. ;)

Either way, I suggest picking a day where you have all day to yourself to try applying makeup. You can wash it off right away if you don't like it. If you don't like makeup remover or it irritates your skin, try using any sort of natural, coldpressed oil; olive oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil etc. Oils will remove all makeup from your face and are the best at hydrating your skin. You can wash it off with some warm water if it's too oily afterwards. (If you get oil in your eyes, it's not bad for you and won't sting, but your vision will get a bit blurry. You can rinse your eyes with water or push out tears to clean it.)

Alright, so I have a small problem and I'm not 100% what to do about it. Opinions vary, but I mainly would like to know if someone has tips on what to try! :)

Recently I dyed my hair to a darker brown color with a purple sheen. I'm a natural dirty blonde though, so my eyebrows are very light and it doesn't look that good when I wear makeup. Some people love eyebrow pencils, other people hate them and prefer eyebrow powder to make them darker. Problem is I'm having a bit of a rough time finding out which is more preferable to use and, more importantly why.

Does anyone have tips for this? This is what it looks like (foundation + blush + light and subtle eye makeup + lipstick):

jac7kp.jpg
Kim Site Admin

As I understand it, pencils are best for creating sharp eyebrows and powder is best for creating softer effects. Your eyebrows are naturally incredibly thin, light and wide, which makes them look very soft i.e., you don't really see individual hairs, you just see an impression of eyebrows. I think powder is going to get you an effect that looks more like "you."

By contrast if your eyebrow hairs were very dark, you'd see them more individually, and feathered in pencil might look more natural to that. Pencil looks super fake if it's just drawn on in a line, the only time I've seen it look good was when someone had feathered it on like hair, and sometimes used a brush to blend it out a tiny bit and make it less stark.

I'm still unsure what to do. I pluck my eyebrows sparingly - just some stray hairs that look out of place on the bottom of the arch while retaining my natural eyebrow shape - and if I fill them in with powder I'll have to stick to a better shape, otherwise they'll probably end up looking like thick, dark, shapeless lines. XD

And I think the makeup actually made them a bit lighter in that picture than they normally are. They're not super thick, but in the mirror from a distance I can still see the individual hairs.

I think I'll go get an eyebrow kit (with shape stencils) and see if that works out, otherwise I'll try a pencil. :) I'll post pictures!
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
and if I fill them in with powder I'll have to stick to a better shape, otherwise they'll probably end up looking like thick, dark, shapeless lines. XD

They really shouldn't. It just takes practice! :)

Hey look, makeup pictures! No foundation or anything primer, just eyepencil, mascara, eyeshadow and eyebrow powder.

I have a brown kajal that I tried for the first time today, and I like how it looks. :) I also tested two eyeshadows I got a while ago to see if they looked good on me. I got a little dash of eyebrow powder on too, but this is as dark as I make it - anything darker and it just looks silly.

On the left is a metallic blue. On the right is a metallic purple. I can see the difference, but it's so minimal I can only tell because I look for it. Also excuse the redness on my left (picture right) eyelid, got some skin irritation there. Also, freckles!

1688sop.jpg

6j0v0k.jpg

33nvi2r.jpg

I wasn't looking at anything, angling the camera akwardly from slightly above in front of my mirror - I'm cross eyed! It also makes my lashes look less curly. It's just the angle. :)

I also have a question for anyone who uses nail polish. I have very thin nails. They grow super fast and I have to cut them weekly, but they're so thin they flex a lot without breaking (and when long enough, sometimes they actually fold back over themselves without as much as a tear, hurts like a son of a gun!). This makes pretty much ANY nail polish, cheap or expensive, chip in the places where my nails are so flexible. I can't really keep my nails long due to the flexing either.

A lot of sites I google suggest very different things. I want to tackle the core problem, not harden my nails with a polish that leaves them flexible when taken off. I also don't want to eat jello to make them grow faster - they grow too fast already! XD

Some suggest to take more vitamin supplements, but as I've taken those before and noticed no real difference, I'm not convinced. Does anyone have any home remedies or know of actual products that accomplish the hardening of the fingernails?

Well then! Snagged some of the 3D eyeshadow I'd been lusting after, and experimented a little. First try looks decent! I messed up a little on the eyeliner, but oh well. (My eyes are red from a lack of proper sleep)

23vn8kh.jpg

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » I want to talk makeup.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus