Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » A way to post char icon/links on your own rpr?

EdtheNeko

Can we have a way to post other char's profile pic/link to there own profile, like in char connections?

I dislike the char limit on it, and want to make my own connection using the text box, but is there a way to allow the icon/link like the connections tab does as well?

Added note: It would be useful to have a character limit # for the connections tab posted somewhere on the site. Perhaps in the editing section, so I can tell when I am about to hit my character limit for each person. I tend to write a lot :P
Could do something like twitter where you put @ and the character/player's name in any field that takes text, and it would not only link them but you could also give the person some way to see it, in their feed or something. That way, if I mention someone somewhere on my char's site they can see it and if people are wondering "who the heck are they talking about" they can click and see.
Sanne Moderator

Code:
[url=character_link_here][img]character_icon_url_here[/img] Character name[/url] (played by [url=player_link_here]player[/url]) Text goes here blah blah

Will look like this:
Quote:
chico-13672-1349471605.png Darth Sinnice (played by Sanne)
Text goes here blah blah

Is this what you mean? You'll just have to manually fetch the link + icon url (right click, Copy Image URL) and you're done. If you want to get fancy, you can use columns to make it aligned more neatly. Icons will appear their original size though, since you can't resize them with BBC.

Code:
[columns] [url=character_link_here][img]character_icon_url_here[/img][/url] [nextcol] [url=character_link_here]Character name[/url] (played by [url=player_link_here]player[/url]) Text goes here blah blah [/columns]

Will look like this:
Quote:
chico-13672-1349471605.png Darth Sinnice (played by Sanne)
Text goes here blah blah

The second code will format it a little like the character connections are done right now. It'll format more nicely on the character page, especially if you customize columns with CSS.

This is a little more troublesome than just adding character connections and not 100% like the widget. However, the system we have now is nice and concise, even if the limit on the text is a bit short. If you want it to look just like the widget, then why not use it? I personally don't see the benefit of making a second system for character linking since it's so easily done with BBC. It just needs some extra work to look pretty. That's just my opinion though, Kim might disagree with me there.

Don't forget to check out this Development log entry and vote for it if you haven't already. :) Characters connections will be enhanced in the future in several ways, maybe it's just what you need.
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:

This is a little more troublesome than just adding character connections and not 100% like the widget. However, the system we have now is nice and concise, even if the limit on the text is a bit short. If you want it to look just like the widget, then why not use it? I personally don't see the benefit of making a second system for character linking since it's so easily done with BBC.
Well, I do have my reasons. You see I noticed if someone deletes you from there connections, any text you wrote about them gets erased as well. I merely just wanted to make a backup really, and due to text limit I thought I might as well try to make it like the widget as much as possible. I could do what you said with the icons, but players tend to change there icons ever so often. I thought to use a backup, but then I think why not make the backup look nice and replace the current connections, that way I can add people and then add them manually. I'll look into what you posted though.
Kim Site Admin

This is one step from impossible when it comes to character icons, because there can be more than one character of the same name. BBCode would have no way of knowing which character you meant when you typed in a name.

Sanne's way is the only sure way to know that you are linking to the correct character without using the connection widget.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » A way to post char icon/links on your own rpr?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus