Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Books make me hate my life

Sanne Moderator

Warning: video contains some heavy language!

This video is hilarious and pretty much describes how I feel about reading books. XD Does anyone else have these sort of experiences with books? Does this also apply to roleplay you have, or is it different from reading books? If it's different, why do you think that is?
I loved this! I will never be able to think of a "book worm" the same way again. XD

That aside, sometimes books make me hate my life. Well, maybe not hate... There are some really fantastic books out there that immerse you in their world and culture to such a degree that when you come back to the real world it's slightly disappointing. Or at least, seemingly less vibrant.

Then again, if you actually look at what the characters go through...perhaps it's best we're stuck in our own world, using books to escape. How many of us would have fallen to that evil-overlord or crumpled in the heat of battle or betrayed a friend instead of remaining loyal?

As for Roleplaying...I think it's a good stress relief for me since I can interact with others. It is also an active process of thinking, reacting, replying, as opposed to absorbing the details, action, excitement when reading a book. Not that you can't participate when reading a book--but not to the same extent as writing for a character.

(Also, as an aside, there's a really cute--if not G-rated--children's book called "It's a Book". It's really pointed at kids these days growing up with iPads/Kindles/etc.)

13413271480979.jpeg

And yes, after a book I find it slightly odd and get a book hangover.
But the good thing is, after being 'sucked into' such a magnificent new world,
I start to see details in the real world i usually don't even notice.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Books make me hate my life

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus