Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Question about groups

Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm glad I could assuage some of your concerns! :D
Selkieborn wrote:
My concern is that IC in the Tolkien universe, anything other than heterosexuality wasn't ever mentioned at all- being that at the time any of Tolkien's writings were published, anything other than heterosexuality was considered to be homosexuality and against the law in the UK(until 1967) so he wouldn't have been able to get his stories published at all if he'd included it. He was in fact a great fan of gay literature and spoke repeatedly about it(one can google Mary Renault and Tolkien to find one instance as evidence of that claim). That being said, it's clear that homosexuality can't be argued as not being a canon setting. It's quite literally left to the reader's interpretation to decide because Tolkien left it out.
This ambiguity of interpretation is exactly why we usually give people leeway in their IC groups, since everyone will interpret a canonical setting differently. Ultimately, we just need to operate on a case by case basis to determine if a rule like this is being used to discriminate or to define an aspect of the setting, and what the ramifications of that are. I can also easily imagine situations wherein the rule technically only applies to IC matters, but it's still thinly veiled discrimination. In this case, we're happy to look into it if you come across it. :)

I also wanted to thank you for teaching me this about Tolkien. I just did a bit more research (just out of curiosity, not because I doubted you) and this is some interesting stuff. :) Thank you!

Quote:
I left the group and don't intend to participate in it. My main reason for saying anything at all was a concern on whether or not this was a site wide occurrence.
Oh, of course! When I said that it'd be disappointing to see you leave, I meant leave RPR overall. I completely understand leaving the group (which seems to be inactive anyway). I apologize for the lack of clarity! :)

(PS: thank you for the compliment! :D)
Nah, one of the main way groups get used are for people to set up a space away from the rest of things where they can have it more to their liking. The greater RPR community absolutely tries to be welcoming of all sexualities and genders. The mods themselves aren't all hetero or cis, so I really couldn't see them supporting such a bias in the site.

Thank you for speaking up, Selkie, so that this could be clarified! It can be hard to speak up sometimes, especially if you think a community will turn against you.
LotrFanFicFun

I wasn’t trying to be hurtful at all! I just meant the characters!! Not the people! I just wanted a clean rp environment without any bisexual characters. I have nothing against bisexual people! I’m so sorry if you were offended!!!

Although btw I don’t need five heaping pounds of freshly ground hate. I made a mistake, m’kay?

Also how can one delete a group?

(...And I don’t think it’s racism. But that’s just an opinion and apparently mine doesn’t matter in this instance. Quite honestly I should have been notified that this was going on so I could clarify what it was. Seriously no offense but really? Talking about it just isn’t gonna help. Actually going to me about it is)
Selkieborn Topic Starter

LotrFanFicFun wrote:
I wasn’t trying to be hurtful at all! I just meant the characters!! Not the people! I just wanted a clean rp environment without any bisexual characters. I have nothing against bisexual people! I’m so sorry if you were offended!!!

Although btw I don’t need five heaping pounds of freshly ground hate. I made a mistake, m’kay?

Also how can one delete a group?

(...And I don’t think it’s racism. But that’s just an opinion and apparently mine doesn’t matter in this instance. Quite honestly I should have been notified that this was going on so I could clarify what it was. Seriously no offense but really? Talking about it just isn’t gonna help. Actually going to me about it is)

Honestly, I’m not seeing how bisexuality is unclean anymore than heterosexual content. Sex is sex. My sexual orientation isn’t dirty.

With all due respect, I asked a question about forum rules because I simply didn’t want to be in an unhealthy environment. And when you specifically bar an oppressed group of people from your content, you can’t expect them to feel like discussing anything with you anymore than we would in real life.

Characters aren’t real, yes. But bisexual(or gay and lesbian or trans and queer identifying) people are and showing you don’t want that in your group shows you as a person who isn’t safe to communicate with for me or people like me, period.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Hey guys! I'm going to be locking this thread now that the original question has been answered. What's being discussed here is RPR's official stance on groups that have rules that are discriminatory against players, which is that we don't allow it. If you think anything is still unclear, you're welcome to send me a message.

LotrFanficGirl, if you still want to delete the group, please refer to the PM I sent you. :)

You are on: Forums » Help » Question about groups

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus