Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » I'm gonna make a book and a group

I've been thinking about making a book. It will be my first one so I'm hoping it goes well. I already have what I'm going to do and the regions but I haven't made a map yet. I do need help making up names for elements and regions. I already have a few names.
Some names for elements that I have

Helimina - Earth
Filimuna - Fire
Truetha - Water
Withino - Air
Lumiota - Light
Sharihin - Darkness
Shuricoma - Soul
Micarin - The Center

Ones I don't have

Mind (Soul)
Plant (Earth)
Blood (Water or Darkness)
Lava (Water or Fire)
Storm (Air or Water)
Poison (Water)
Shadow (Darkness)

There are a few more but I haven't got there yet. The reason I'm putting this up is because I will be making a group for this which means I may add your characters in the book. There will be three series connected to Tirecmia (The world): The stories of Shaelyn Kyryen, Kin Ancalime, and Amaterasu Hikaraki. These stories will be about the rebels in the Air, Earth, and Light regions. I will be explaining more in the group and I will put your characters under the correct regions. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please just say in. ^_^ thank you.";
Are the names of these elements also the names of your cities or provinces? And what is the main aspect of the story? Also, is it only associated with human characters or does it have a mythological aspect with creatures as well (man beasts, talking rats, and the like)?
ChaoticDeath3 Topic Starter

I got all the towns and other places (like I mentioned, I haven't made a map.). As for aspect, it's sorta a medievil fantasy where there can be romance and other things. As for character preferences, all creatures are allowed.
Ok... so you're wanting to RP it, then write it? 0.o I'm lost lol
I have some suggestions for some elements: Thaeuam (thae-oo-awhm) as storm; Shadricknia (Shah-drihk-nee-ah) as shadow; Leknareah (Lehk-nahr-ee-ah) as mind; Yggstarenea (Yigg-star-ay-nee-ah) as plant; Fyrnatrea (Fy-nat-tree-ah) as lava; illenusia (ill-en-ooze-ee-ah) as poison; and last but not least, Uzenaethia (ooze-an-aeth-ia) as blood.

Anyway, I'd love to join you in this RP! Would you be interested in the beginnings of the book/story I'm writing? It's fantasy with magic and stuffs.

@Wolfen: The RP is just for ideas and stuff to put in my book and it's where I can get your characters to join into my book.

@Zeronight: Thanks a lot. As for the story your writing, I would like to read what you've finished so far ^_^
Alrighty, good cause that could get to be terrible lol. Anyway good luck and I hope it turns out. I'm not much of a writer so I won't be any help to you. ^_^
Sanne Moderator

If you want to make a publishable book that you're going to sell, putting people's characters into it can get you into serious legal trouble if you don't have those people sign a contract of some sort where they transfer 'ownership' over to you. Otherwise you're using other people's creations to make money, and as kind as generous as RPRians are, you never know when there's going to be a bump in the road!

If you don't plan on selling it, at least set up some sort of agreement with the people who participate. I'd hate for someone to join in your group not knowing what will happen.
Ben Moderator

I agree with Sanne. Before you even think about doing this you need a business plan that people can look over. You should talk to an intellectual property lawyer and have them help you come up with a contract. Some of the questions you need to answer, like Sanne pointed out, are:

Are you going to publish this book?

If yes: You need to either transfer ownership of the intellectual property OR come up with a royalty agreement. I don't know how it works in America, but I know that in Canada a signed contract is not valid in court unless MONEY has been exchanged. You can't just accept intellectual property as a gift and have the contract protect you in court, you have to pay for it. (This is one of the reasons that any group you join that requires you to sign a membership agreement also has a membership fee.)

Are you going to go with a conventional publisher, or self publish?
If you're self publishing then the contracts can be just between you and the character owners, and you can come to an agreement about how payment will work yourselves. If you go with a conventional publishing company, things get more complicated, because THEY need to know who's IP is being used, what percentage of royalties are due to which parties, etc.That kind of complexity may hurt your chances of having a conventional publisher say yes.

If you're not going to publish it, and you don't want to deal with contracts and all that, you need to make sure that you never make a dollar from it, otherwise you'll be setting yourself up for complications. In the case of just releasing a book for free, you still need to deal with crediting the contributors.

I'm not gonna publish it. It's just something I can get ideas from and something fun to do. ^^; It's just something for me to look back and be proud of.
Ben Moderator

Alright :) Well, you never know, your mind might change down the road. Be aware of the complications even if they don't apply just yet.
I am going through this for my own world, although thankfully I have my semi-productive creation team with me! So I know where you are coming from, let me try and lend my hand in naming elements! I prefer to disect words and mold them into ideas for things. (I created a faction called The Orem. I got it from the word more :P)

Mind (Soul)- arcritin (it just sounds cool to me), sylia (psychic-p-ch-c+l=sylia)

Plant (Earth)- omsulvia (the 'om' from omnivore)

Blood (Water or Darkness)- orblid, orglid, cless (like class but an 'e' instead of 'a')

Lava (Water or Fire)- fierno (fire+inferno=fierno), emberso (embers and so added to the end for the embers lava creates.)

Storm (Air or Water)- algual (aqua->alqua->algua->algual), adorot (add-oh-roht. Manipulation of the word tornado)

Poison (Water)- incrodine (Its on the tip of my tounge! Eh, it also just sounds cool to me!)

Shadow (Darkness)- Tenebrous (Latin for darkness), Wren (Shadow wen is a character in a book however wren is a totally different word :P just so you know where this comes from though!)

@Sanne and Ben: Thanks for the warnings you two ^_^

@Gamers: Thanks for the help. I mostly have everything for the ranks and stuff.
No idea what te ranks are! I just saw that those were not done in your original post so I did them, hope they were of some use. If any help is needed I'm always open!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » I'm gonna make a book and a group

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus