Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Profile Editor idea

LoveSickCow

I recently got a Epic Membership almost only just so I could make a flashy profile. While I like what is offered, I was honestly not the biggest fan of just changing the colors of things. Now this does not mean you gotta go all out and let me go nuts with the editor, but a simple idea came to mind. Just allow the user to make their background a jpg. It would open up a lot of possibilities, and maybe even encourage some artist to deck out there page with there stuff. I know there may be a problem with having to moderate it all, over the worries someone may misuse the system and make something dirty, but that would not make it impossible I believe. I dont know, I am not the person who has to put this site together, and the work the people who do that is incredible, and there really is nothing wrong with what you have done, I just thought this might be a simple yet effective addition, that would make the epic membership that much more worth it.
BBCode options are pretty flexible. A lot of people add all sorts of images and whatnot to their profiles to snazzy them up, even though a background image can't be done (except around your avatar). If it was changed... I wouldn't want to see much more than that. No structural changes in member profiles, to ensure consistency.

Chances are anyway, instead of a more complex editor than what is currently there, to give us more control, we'd end up with how it works for characters. Near total control, but you have to know CSS to do it. No WYSIWYG editor like we have now. (Although I suppose Epic Groups straddle the line, having both a WYSIWYG editor and a CSS option that override's it.)

I think Epic Membership gets plenty! No ads, some profile customization, full character profile customization, a whole extra 10 character slots, larger character image galleries... and we actually have some folks who get them more to help support RPR than for the perks. XD

But I'm not a site official or anything. Just sharing my thoughts. :)

One person, btw. One person builds everything for this site.
LoveSickCow Topic Starter

Wow that one person does a amazing job and I hope he gets well compensated for it

And I really don't want a complex editor at all, I actually really love the way it is now,it's just that one idea of having a interchangeable background using a jpeg or something. I myself added pictures to the profile using the normal way importing photos, I just wanted there to be a way to go slightly further to theme my profile, I just wasn't the biggest fan of one basic color for a background, however I would of course take that over not having it all lol.

For the work that one guy does though they created one heck of a good website and it's well worth the little amount of money to spend on it
LoveSickCow wrote:
Wow that one person does a amazing job and I hope he gets well compensated for it
That would be Kim!

I agree that it would be nice to have an image background for profiles. While trying to decide how I want my profile to look when I get Epic Membership, I found myself so torn. I actually like the subtle texture of the default image. I was thinking it would be awesome if my profile background could look like pink parchment.

Maybe adding a few images to choose from (instead of allowing any image) would be a nice way to keep things consistent while adding a bit more customization than solid color backgrounds.

By the way, here's the BBCode page if you haven't found it already. There's more than you might expect.
Yep, just Kim, and she doesn't really make any money off this. It makes enough to stay operational, but she still has to maintain a "proper job" to take care of herself - which is why there's supposed to be a big fundraiser in the near future, to help her gather enough money to take some time off her regular job and focus on the sitewide overhaul she's presently picking at when she can!

What if we had some preset textures to choose from, with an attempt at enough variety to work with most themeing attempts? That way, there'd still be more options, the extra strain on the database to help more stuff would be pretty minimal, we'd have something guaranteed to extend well with longer pages and adjust to different browser sizes, and we wouldn't end up with backgrounds that might cause serious legibility issues or potentially trigger those sensitive to certain content.

Would that be a reasonable middleground suggestion? Because I will admit that I would appreciate a little texture on my page instead of just flat color. :)
Novalyyn wrote:
What if we had some preset textures to choose from, with an attempt at enough variety to work with most themeing attempts?
Would that be a reasonable middleground suggestion? Because I will admit that I would appreciate a little texture on my page instead of just flat color. :)

I think this works! Perhaps they could be images that the site already uses since there are already tons of themes for profiles/groups.
LoveSickCow Topic Starter

Yeah that sounds simple enough, and a great idea. I don't think that stress too much out especially if they use already existing templetes. Hopefully a mod or something will see this and take it into consideration

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Profile Editor idea

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus