Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Memorial Day

I hope everyone has had a thoughtful memorial day so far.

We can't be the land of the free without being the home of the brave.

Who sows virtue reaps honor.
-Leonardo da Vinci
John Roby (played by Rogue-Scribe)

A salute and deep thoughts to all who have fallen in war.

I created this character the other day in memory of my cousin John Wolf who was KIA in Vietnam in 1967. I’m using a page of his profile as a memorandum. Johnny was the only family member I know of who died in battle (KIA).

Salute to all U.S. service-people who fell in battle.
In case anyone's confused, today is the day the US memorializes the soldiers lost in the time our country has existed. All those who never made it back.

An aside: living vets and others presently enlisted actually don't like getting recognition today. There is another day for that, and they really want focus to stay respectfully on the lost (both KIA an MIA).
8_Stars_8 Topic Starter

Yes, I suppose I should have explained what Memorial Day is.

And yes, this day is generally used to remember the fallen soldiers who fought for America, and not the ones that have survived, which is a whole other holiday. (Veteran's Day)
Rogue-Scribe

I edited my post to not recognise any who did not die.
Alright. In tribute to Memorial Day, I'm going to put up a link to one of my favorite songs. It's called "America Is," by B.J. Thomas.

Link to the song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJagzHMN5Hg
8_Stars_8 wrote:
Yes, I suppose I should have explained what Memorial Day is.

And yes, this day is generally used to remember the fallen soldiers who fought for America, and not the ones that have survived, which is a whole other holiday. (Veteran's Day)
And the even more general Armed Forces Day, for every who has chosen to serve even it they've never seen battle. That was on the 18th, but it doesn't get a lot of attention.
Rogue-Scribe

I saw a beautiful meme that explained the holidays.
Memorial Day is the day we remember those who paid the ultimate price in battle. Veteran's Day is for those who fought in battle and came home to remember.

I was thinking of my Cousin John Roby Wolf today as I read the remembrances on his Vietnam Memorial Wall page.

Rest In Peace Johnny.
Salute to all who paid the ultimate price for freedom.

Find the Cost of Freedom...
Buried in the ground...
Mother Earth will swallow you...
Lay your body down...

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Memorial Day

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus