Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » need help on my book

I am in the process of writing a book and I would like to post where i am at so far and try and get some tips on how to move it forward with out making it too ridiculous. The only worry I have is people stealing my story... here I go I guess.
Kim Site Admin

This is a common but actually pretty far-fetched fear. There are only so many storylines in the world -- what makes it unique is in the specific way that YOU would write it, which no one else will ever be able to recreate just from some plot descriptions. Everything is in the execution. Here are a few articles you may find comforting:

http://ryangraudin.blogspot.com/2012/03/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-idea.html
http://blog.pekpongpaet.com/2010/11/04/the-myth-of-people-stealing-your-ideas/
http://avajae.blogspot.com/2013/01/dont-worry-about-other-writers-stealing.html
LightKayl Topic Starter

Thank you Kim, that s actually comforting to read. I'll work on posting it so that others can read, and hopefully critique, my story as well as help with ideas.
Kim Site Admin

I am glad to be of help! :)
LightKayl Topic Starter

This is what I have retyped so far, I'll work on retyping the rest later.

I opened my eyes. My vision was still blurry, but i could see what lay around me. Bodies, most all of them dead. The dead bodies had belonged to the Daemons and Angels between which the war was raging. At this point Mothers' creations, the Humans, posed no threat as they couldn't forge proper weaponry. In other words, no matter how hard you looked you wouldn't find more than a handful of Humans on the battle field.

I stood and stretched, instantly regretting the choice. I nearly collapsed; my body wracked in pain. After the pain died down I looked around again, my vision more clear now. To my right was one of my shield brothers who had noticed I was still alive and was climbing the small incline to come join me. To my right another squad, a little ways from where we were now.

After looking around I took a moment to check my physical condition. I had a few broken ribs and most of my torso was bruised, and on top of that my right wing was broken. Flying was out of the question. When my shield brother, and probably my last, had reached me we agreed on the decision of trying catch up with the other group.

We were almost to the other squad, close enough that I could clearly see their flag. The sky darkened and I heard thunder. The ground shook and we nearly fell. No... it wasn't thunder. It was the sound of a Daemon colliding with the Earth. A Daemon landed near us, planning to kill us most likely. He wasn't going to kill me without a fight, I reached for my sword but it wasn't in its' sheath. The Daemon laughed; back handing my companion and sending her flying. She was most likely dead, judging by how she was now laying on the ground.

Without a weapon I would have no chance of surviving the encounter with this 'beast'. I quickly scanned the ground for a weapon and spotted a short sword. The Daemon swung one of his large fists at me. I crouched, dodging the blow, and dove for the sword. Grabbing the blade I rolled to my feet. He swung down at me with his fists held together, I dodged and struck him as he crushed a corpse. Instead of blood flowing from the gash across his knuckles a black smoke came out and he slowly disintegrated. This trick was often used in our training exercises.
TheLily

Have you ever thought about doing NaNoWriMo or Camp NaNo? The people who work on those are all writers (not that RPR isn't full of writers, but NaNoWriMo is specifically for novels/singular writers). The NaNoWriMo website is full of all sorts of resources and you can even partner with volunteers who will edit or you can even trade and edit while someone edits yours.

Currently Camp NaNo is about to start so there are plenty of people who are active. You can always bug me if you want, but I can't promise I can really help with everything you need, though. Right now, for example I'm about to start doing Camp NaNo, so I'm not going to be much for time in the next few weeks. I'm not much for really good advise.
LightKayl Topic Starter

I haven't heard of them before. I'll look into them.

Okay, I'm on Camp NaNoWriMo.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » need help on my book

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus