Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Trick or Treat at Gary's House (closed)

Garys%20House_zpsaaawshyr.jpg

Gary lives in the year 1982 in a small fictitious town called Teal Cove, just outside of Dallas, Texas. He lives in a small one-story ranch style house with the garage in front. He's hung a few fake spider webs around the single light fixture on his porch. The normal bulb in the fixture has been replaced by a green one, giving the porch a sickly pale color. A poorly-carved Jackolantern sits just below the porchlight. It is illuminated by a single candle. A cheesy cardboard bat with the words "Happy Holloween" in orange has been fixed to the door with a single piece of Scotch tape. It is slightly crooked. A few similar cheap cardboard decorations of spiders, skeletons, black cats and witches are taped to the garage door.

As Trick-or-Treaters ascend the driveway from the sidewalk, they hear spooky sounds such as an organ, screams, and owls howling coming from the closest of the two front windows nearest the porch provided by a tape recorder. The sound effects periodically go silent until Gary remembers to flip the tape over and press play again.

OOC notes: Gary is from a modern-day small-town drama roleplay. While no events in this thread are canon to the normal game, he will react to any trick-or-treaters that are supernatural or alien as if they are in costumes since there is no magic or sci-fi technology in his world. Being a bit geeky, he may break character from the mad scientist he's dressed as to ask questions about any robots or obviously alien characters about how they built their costumes or where they purchased them from. Feel free to show off your lightsaber, cast spells, or your smart phone, iPod, or other modern-day gadget to impress him. I'll go off whatever craziness ensues. Who knows, maybe his roommate Shelley will even answer the door!

Other than that, enjoy! I check the site regularly and will try to post as often as I can. PS- if ithe thread gets super busy and I accidentally miss a response and it's been 24 hours, please PM me so I don't leave you hanging.
Kira Rose (played by JoJoApples)

Free food was something Kira didn't want to pass up. She didn't have much of a costume, but her clothes were pretty dark, and she'd found some black cardboard in a dumpster and managed to find some string, so she had made a little batman mask. She hoped it would suffice.

Kira had to admit she liked this house. It was suitably in the mood for Halloween and the organ was a really nice touch. She stepped up to the black door with the circular window, and after a moment's hesitation, rang the doorbell. She smoothed her dress and hoped she didn't look as dirty as she thought she looked.

"Trick or Treat!" she smiled at the person who answered the door.
Gary Portelli (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Gary%20Mad%20scientist_zpsoc5drhfc.jpg

Gary was in the spare bedroom adjusting the volume on the tape recorder. After it cleared the leader tape, it began to play a few bars of organ music before the sound changed to the screeching of bats. About that time, he heard the doorbell ring. "Oh my first victim," Gary said delightedly as he hurried to the front door. He made sure his "potions" he'd made with colored liquid were all in place. He'd purchased a few test tubes and other lab equipment and put them on a table covered in a white sheet for effect. He wished he had some dry ice to make some fog for the effect. Gary grabbed his candy bowl and opened the door to find a lone trick-or-treater.

It was hard to tell immediately if the person in black was a boy or girl. The prop glasses he wore were not prescription. It was hard to tell what the newcomer's costume was... dark clothing and a makeshift mask made of cardboard.

"Trick or Treat!"

The costumed person was clearly a girl from her voice. "Ah, good evening! Uh, welcome to my lab," Gary said, having not really given much thought as to what he'd say. He had thrown the whole thing together in haste. "Uh, would you like some candy?"

He grabbed the bowl and presented it to her. Inside were tiny bite-sized candy bars like "Hersey's", "Mr. Goodbar," and even a white chocolate version, one of Gary's favorites.

"Help yourself," he said. Gary felt like he needed to make some conversation with the girl. "Uh, just one of you?" He was afraid to ask what she was supposed to be as he didn't want to offend her.

Kira nodded and took politely two of the small candy bars. She thanked the other and confirmed,"just me." Kira wondered if she looked like a kid. She was very short and thin. She hoped her costume was good enough.

Kira then gestured to all of the aesthetics,"I like what you did with the place." She complimented,"It's spooky as heck and I love it so very much." She used to love Halloween so much. It was a shame she couldnt enjoy it to the fullest.

Kira nodded and took politely two of the small candy bars. She thanked the other and confirmed,"just me." Kira wondered if she looked like a kid. She was very short and thin. She hoped her costume was good enough.

"Oh, um...," Gary said awkwardly, not sure what to say to that. "I'm sure there are lots of groups out there that could use one more..."

Kira then gestured to all of the aesthetics,"I like what you did with the place." She complimented,"It's spooky as heck and I love it so very much." She used to love Halloween so much. It was a shame she couldnt enjoy it to the fullest.

"Oh, why thank you," A little something I whipped up at the last minute. "I'm glad it worked out... I just wish I had dry ice or a fog machine to add to the effect. Maybe next year..."

He stood there awkwardly not sure what else to say or how to end the conversation. Social skills were definitely not his strong point. He hoped Shelley would be home soon, she'd be so much better at interacting with the trick-or-treaters.

"Dont worry. Im sure I'll be just fine. And if I do find a group, then cool. If not its no big deal." Kira paused, feeling quite socially inept,"uh...a fog machine does sound cool. Next year for sure hm?"

Kira then thanked the other again and decided to walk away, waving goodbye. She had to get in as many stops as possible. Food was so importent and anything helped. Kira wondered how much she'd get.
Melissa Ann Winona Kennedy (played by LakotaSiouxWarrior)

It was Melissa Ann Kennedy's first hallowen. She decided to be a cheerleader like her mom. As she was going house to house. She heard the noises from the brick house and walked up the driveway to knock on the door. She rang the doorbell waiting for a answer.

"Um, Happy Halloween," Gary said. He didn't think to wave until the girl in black was already halfway down the driveway. "Well, one down," he said to himself as he closed the door. The evening was still young. Next year he would definitely need to get some dry ice to add to the mad scientist's lab. He needed to get better organized in the future so he could plan things better. It was Gary's nature to wait until the last minute, generally because he forgot things easily.

It wasn't long before the doorbell rang again. Gary swung the door open. "Oh, a cheerleader! Happy Halloween," He said looking around behind him. "Now where did I set the candy bowl?"

Melissa smiled happily. "This is my first hallowen oh yeah trick or treat. I love all the decorations and sounds. You have a beautiful house". She held out her plastic hallowen pumpkin as she wondered what sweet treasures she would get at this house.

"Ah here we," Gary said turning back with a bowl full of miniature chocolate bars. He bent down to offer the little girl a handful of the candy. He hoped the mad scientist get up and sounds were not too scary for the girl, but she seemed to legitimately be excited by the decorations.

"This is my first hallowen oh yeah trick or treat. I love all the decorations and sounds. You have a beautiful house"

"Why thank you! Your first Halloween? That's awesome," Gary replied. "I have two friends at the local high school who are both on the cheerleading squad. Maybe you'll be on their team someday, too!"

Melissa reached into the bowl and grabbed 4 chocolate candy bars. Smiling a Cheshire cat grin she said excitedly "2 for me 2 for my mom. She's waiting at the end at the end of the driveway for me. She's a Minnesota Vikings cheerleader. She's the best mom ever. Thank you for the candy. If I see my freinds I'll tell them about your house.". She left the porch and ran down the driveway to her waiting mother. Aylssa and Melissa began walking down the street still trick and treating. They both waved a freindly goodbye before they left his driveway.

"Happy Halloween," Gary said as the little girl took two chocolate bars for herself and two for her mother. Gary watched as she made her way back down the driveway and waved to her and her mom once she was back on the sidewalk and headed to the next house. Gary closed the door and went to the kitchen to grab a can of Tab before the next visitors arrived.
Scotty (played anonymously)

(OOC: Since this takes place in the 80s, I'm gonna pretend Scotty's a kid!)

Halloween was the one time Scotty was actually not ashamed to be asking for food. If people were handing out candies and things, why not take advantage of it? His family didn't have a lot of money, so most of the times his costumes were something that was simple, homemade, and slapped together from whatever garbage he could find lying around.

He was mighty proud of his costume this year. He took the time to find a cardboard box that'd fix over his scrawny little body, but still let his arms and legs move about freely. He took time to draw and doodle on the thing. Perhaps the most dangerous part of the costume was the large glass fishbowl that was over his head and only because there was already a crack in it and a good piece of glass missing. It seemed like the thing would shatter at any moment and cut his head all to pieces.

Moving up to the door of the home, he knocked before shouting out in a voice that had a thick Cajun accent, "Anybody in dere? Trick er treat!!!" It was honestly hard to tell if he was dressed as a robot or an astronaut.

Gary had just enough time to pull a soda from the fridge and pull the ring when he heard a knock. He dropped the pull-tab in the trash and hurried through the living room and back to the front door. He heard a muffled, "Anybody in dere? Trick er treat!!!" The kid sounded like he had a thick accent.

Gary opened the door. The sound effects coming through the window were now hooting owls. "Ah Good evening," Gary said taking on a bad German accent. He'd forgotten to use it with his first guests and the kid's accent had reminded him. "I am Professor Duffensmirtz, the mad scientist. And vat is zhue? Ah, vee has an astronaut, yes?"

Gary reached for the bowl where beakers of food-colored liquid sat. He managed to knock one over and it spilled blue liquid all over the white table cloth staining it. "Shiiiiiiiiii..... oooo... darn," Gary caught himself before he used fowl language in front of the kid but losing the accent in process. A little bit of the colored water dribbled onto the floor. "I'll have to grab some paper towels from the kitchen." He realized he was looking at the spill and not the kid in the spacesuit.

"Sorry, er I mean, Zarry," Gary corrected himself getting back into his mad scientist character. "Vould zhue like some chocolate?" He offered a bowl full of bite-size candy bars including Hersey's milk, white, and dark chocolate, Krackle bars, and Mr. Goodbar to the boy.

When Gary opened the door, Scotty's brows were scrunched up as he looked around at the hooting noises, trying to figure out where all the danged owls were hiding. He wasn't the brightest of kids, that much was true. Looking back to the man, he shouted, thinking he needed to be louder to be heard through the fishbowl over his head, "Well, 'fessor Dumbsmart, I heard y'ain't gonna live in space iffen ya gotta crack in ya suit." A finger went up to point towards the crack and hole in the fishbowl. "So Imma robot. Unless y'sayin' y'want me t'be a dead kid floatin' in space."

He wasn't afraid of straight shooting and being blunt and when the mad profession with an accent nearly as funny as his own nearly swore, he started laughing. "S'alright t'swear. My Ma does all da time," he said with a large smile on his face. "S'really funny, tell you wut."

Peering into the bowl, he looked over his options before saying, "Now mister, Imma 'pologize iffen dis gone be rude, but I dun wanna chocolate iffen I could have one ah dem hooters instead." His head tilted back and around again, threatening to slice his forehead open with the way the fishbowl slid around. "I swear coulda heard 'em affore y'opened dat dere door. Didja scare 'em off?"

Gary had just enough time to pull a soda from the fridge and pull the ring when he heard a knock. He dropped the pull-tab in the trash and hurried through the living room and back to the front door. He heard a muffled, "Anybody in dere? Trick er treat!!!" The kid sounded like he had a thick accent.

Gary opened the door. The sound effects coming through the window were now hooting owls. "Ah Good evening," Gary said taking on a bad German accent. He'd forgotten to use it with his first guests and the kid's accent had reminded him. "I am Professor Duffensmirtz, the mad scientist. And vat is zhue? Ah, vee has an astronaut, yes?"

"Well, 'fessor Dumbsmart, I heard y'ain't gonna live in space iffen ya gotta crack in ya suit." A finger went up to point towards the crack and hole in the fishbowl. "So Imma robot. Unless y'sayin' y'want me t'be a dead kid floatin' in space."

Gary paused for a moment to process what the kid had said. He wasn't sure if the accent was an act or real. "Oh, yes I zee," Gary replied. "Zhue is a droid, yah!"

Gary reached for the bowl where beakers of food-colored liquid sat. He managed to knock one over and it spilled blue liquid all over the white table cloth staining it. "Shiiiiiiiiii..... oooo... darn," Gary caught himself before he used fowl language in front of the kid but losing the accent in process. A little bit of the colored water dribbled onto the floor. "I'll have to grab some paper towels from the kitchen." He realized he was looking at the spill and not the kid in the spacesuit.

"S'alright t'swear. My Ma does all da time," he said with a large smile on his face. "S'really funny, tell you wut."

"Sorry, er I mean, Zarry," Gary corrected himself getting back into his mad scientist character. "Vould zhue like some chocolate?" He offered a bowl full of bite-size candy bars including Hersey's milk, white, and dark chocolate, Krackle bars, and Mr. Goodbar to the boy.

"Now mister, Imma 'pologize iffen dis gone be rude, but I dun wanna chocolate iffen I could have one ah dem hooters instead." His head tilted back and around again, threatening to slice his forehead open with the way the fishbowl slid around. "I swear coulda heard 'em affore y'opened dat dere door. Didja scare 'em off?"

Gary was completely caught off guard by this remark. Hooters? What was the kid wanting. Was he asking for a Playboy magazine? Gary stared at him a solid moment. The cassette tape in the window was now making thundering and lightning sounds. Gary finally, realized the kid was talking about the owl sounds.

"Oh, the owls," Gary said again dropping his accent. "Um, I'm afraid they just went out hunting. They're probably, uh two or three yards over by now. Have some candy instead!" Gary offered the robot the bowl, bending down so he could easily grab some candy bars.

While Gary tried to work through what Scotty was saying and the thick Cajun accent he had, he stood there patiently waiting. His eyes were looking around at all the decorations, and the house, looking behind the man to get as good of a look he could at the inside of the place. When the man mentioned owls, there was an unmistakable look of skepticism on his face.

"Oooowls? Is dat whachu call dem tings, 'fessor?" he asked. "W'always done called dem hooters, cuz y'know, dey hoot." The kid took a few steps back, to get a better view of things as he looked towards the other yards that Gary had mentioned the owls going to.

"Well, dassa damned shame," he said as he took a few steps back towards the bowl. He seemed to be taking too long to pick one he wanted, as if he wasn't sure which one would be a good one to eat. All the while, he rambled on, "I've ate snakes, gator, squirrels, possums, lossa different birds, but I ain't never ate a hooter. Was wantin' t'eat it jus t'say I done it."

Finally, his hand picked out one Mr. Goodbar, more than likely because he was drawn to the yellow color of the wrapper. He now had a big old smile on his face, a tooth missing as its replacement still hadn't grown in yet, "S'nice of ya t'give deeze candies stead of dem hooters, Mister! I mean 'fessor. Y'must be rich! Big ol' house, neat decorations. Tanks! Iffen y'want, I can tell dem others comin' up dat y'outta hooters. Might be someone else wantin' one ah dem birds."

"Oooowls? Is dat whachu call dem tings, 'fessor?" he asked. "W'always done called dem hooters, cuz y'know, dey hoot."

"Well um, that certainly makes sense," Gary replied, again responding without his accent.

"Well, dassa damned shame," he said as he took a few steps back towards the bowl. He seemed to be taking too long to pick one he wanted, as if he wasn't sure which one would be a good one to eat. All the while, he rambled on, "I've ate snakes, gator, squirrels, possums, lossa different birds, but I ain't never ate a hooter. Was wantin' t'eat it jus t'say I done it."

"Um, I see," Gary responded, not quite sure what to make of the Cajun kid in the robot costume. "I'd imagine chicken. You know what they say, everything tastes like chicken!"

Finally, his hand picked out one Mr. Goodbar, more than likely because he was drawn to the yellow color of the wrapper. He now had a big old smile on his face, a tooth missing as its replacement still hadn't grown in yet, "S'nice of ya t'give deeze candies stead of dem hooters, Mister! I mean 'fessor. Y'must be rich! Big ol' house, neat decorations. Tanks! Iffen y'want, I can tell dem others comin' up dat y'outta hooters. Might be someone else wantin' one ah dem birds."

"Thanks for stoppin' by," Gary replied. "Well, probably no more 'hooters', but lots of chocolate!" The soundtrack in the window was now back to more haunted organ music with sounds of the wind blowing.

Scotty put the piece of candy into the pillow case he was using as a bag. It honestly had seen better days, but it was still good enough to hold some of the treats that he was going to get. He couldn't get the big smile off his face, looking at Gary with sharp attention as he talked. "Got it, no more hooters, but y'gots lotsa chalklates," he said with a salute.

He started to turn away, leaving the porch before he called out to the man with an enthusiastic wave, "Tanks 'gain, 'fessor!!"

Adjusting the fishbowl on his head, he tromped across the yard to get to the house to the left of the house, calling out to a group of mothers and kids on the nearby sidewalk, "HEY!! Dat guy in dat dere house ain't showin' hooters no more! But he gots lotsa candies!!"

(OOC note: Thanks for the fun! :D )

"Got it, no more hooters, but y'gots lotsa chalklates," he said with a salute.

"Tell all your friends and anyone you see out and about," Gary encouraged.

He started to turn away, leaving the porch before he called out to the man with an enthusiastic wave, "Tanks 'gain, 'fessor!!"

Gary nodded and waved. "Have fun," He called as the boy headed down the driveway.

Adjusting the fishbowl on his head, he tromped across the yard to get to the house to the left of the house, calling out to a group of mothers and kids on the nearby sidewalk, "HEY!! Dat guy in dat dere house ain't showin' hooters no more! But he gots lotsa candies!!"

Gary closed the door and turned back. He remembered he spilled one of his beakers and still needed to clean up the mess. Fortunately, the beakers were all plastic, but the test tubes were glass. Thankfully, none of those had been knocked over. Most of the blue liquid had soaked into the white tablecloth, but there was still a puddle on the linoleum floor. He hurried to the kitchen and looked around for a roll of paper towels before the next round of trick-or-treaters arrived.

OOC: My pleasure! Take care.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Trick or Treat at Gary's House (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus