Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Superhero Sequels

Well, I was just looking at rumors for the next Man of Steel movie. Apparently, Bizarro is the main villain. I thought that was all fine and good when it hit me. A LOT of superhero movies are under way! Avengers 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Man of Steel 2, the next Batman reimagining (Tim Burton and Danny Elfman, PLEASE!), and even the so-far-in-the-future Justice League movie. Even with the Justice League movie, that comes with a BUNCH of superheroes making it to the big screen! I didn't mean to rant, but I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about all these sequels. I mean, what superhero would you like to see make it to the big screen, and what are you expecting/hoping for with the announced movies? Just wondering. :I
Don't forget Captain America's sequel or Thor's sequel!

Sometimes I'm disappointed with the sequels, but I feel both DC and Marvel have done adequate jobs thus far. In order for the justice league to come out, they still have a lot of super heroes to make movies for - and I'm excited about them all! :points to self: huge super hero but! :) I would like to see a movie for Aquaman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman I think.

But Batman and Captain America will always be my favorites.
They need to finally make a Green Arrow with a ******* mustache already (JLA Unlimited did a wonderful job, but it's a cartoon). I'm so disappointed with the reboots where he either has no personality or is just completely reinvented with almost no ties to the original character. If we're lucky, they'll cast someone good for a Justice League movie. Even as a support character, it's not that hard to find good actors. I mean, look at the success with Hawkeye.

Also, what's with rebooting Spider-Man less than ten years after the first set of movies? Come to think of it, what's with rebooting of a lot of recent things -- often poorly? My best guess is people pushing their CG portfolios, since plots and proper casting seem to be lacking severely these days; like studios are just riding on popular franchise names instead of quality. Mind you, not all recent films are like this, but I'm noticing at least one for every three movies I see.

Anyway, mustaches. Come on, Hollywood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFiqa6NCbFA
I'm still hoping for a good live-action Wonder Woman movie, myself (the animated ones are great, but live-action would be awesome!), but at the same time, I don't want it TOO soon. There are a lot of movies coming out where good writing is being traded for explosions and eye candy, and while eye candy is nice, two hours of eye candy and no story is repetitive and boring.

I'm not sure why we need another Batman rehash, though…haven't there been enough already?
Jennymagi Topic Starter

TheCharcoalAlchemist wrote:
I'm not sure why we need another Batman rehash, though…haven't there been enough already?

Yes and no. Have you realized in the two Batman frachises (not including Adam West's, blech), both of them ended in a fiery crash of some sorts? The Dark Knight Rises was fine and good, but it wasn't GREAT. It pretty much peaked with The Dark Knight. And do I even need to say anything about Batman and Robin? Honestly, I think Batman was at his best in the Animated Series, the Arkham Games, and the 1989 film. If Batman turns out how I hope, which is dark and brooding, (not like the "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" thing that was going on for 99% of The Dark Knight), then I will be looking forward to the next Batman franchise. Don't believe me that The Dark Knight wasn't as good? Look up the Nostalgia Critic's Old vs. New about Batman 1989 versus The Dark Knight on YouTube.

...My oh my, that was quite the rant! :O
Lolctopus

There's alot of material to work with in the Batman franchise. I expect they'll still be making Batman films when I'm too old and creaky to remember who the hell he was.

That being said.. Ben Freakin' Affleck is apparently who they've tapped for the new films (whhyyyyy) so I don't exactly have my hopes up.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Superhero Sequels

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus